Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

I have seen a different shot showing these two wagons before and a colour photo of the low height rebodies was on the Industrial Railway Society Yahoo group and there is this one curtesy of Paul Bartlett.    http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h3a595fcb#h3a595fcb

Mark Saunders

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As the notes on the first link explains, there was a further accident when one of the recovery cranes toppled over killing its driver.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56639754@N02/37648670870/in/faves-159486954@N02/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56639754@N02/37648669310/in/album-72157644040480441/

These could also go in the Bachmann crane thread, or is it a different crane?

Mike. (Crane ially deficient).

In that Birmingham photo, that's a very odd looking effect on the warehouse, it looks like a fire has burnt away years of soot build up above the windows, leaving cleaner patches. I have never seen that before.

Neil

Edited by neilkirby

• RMweb Gold

In that Birmingham photo, that's a very odd looking effect on the warehouse, it looks like a fire has burnt away years of soot build up above the windows, leaving cleaner patches. I have never seen that before.

Neil

It did get burnt out by a fire, summer of 1963 I think it was. It was spotted by the signalman at Proof House box which was a couple of hundred yards behind the photographer.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Didcot Easter bank holiday 1962. Mike Peart shared with permission.

attachicon.gif77D21A4D-F7DF-4AE3-80B8-B143EE0BF870.jpeg

Besides the minerals, what a nice combination to drop in an exhibition and wait for the comments.

2201 in dirty lined grot green and a tender in ex-works unlined green. Death steam pick'n'mix at its best.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

I like when Swindon works did the horizontal row of rivets they didn't set the GW rivet press up correctly and bent the sidesheet, makes me feel a lot better now!

Mike.

And that low viewpoint shows the usual gaps around the traders flap* and end door. Something you don't often see modelled.

* Why do I always feel a little uncomfortable when I type "traders flap"?

P

• RMweb Gold

And that low viewpoint shows the usual gaps around the traders flap* and end door. Something you don't often see modelled.

* Why do I always feel a little uncomfortable when I type "traders flap"?

P

Does 'trader's top door' make you feel any better?

Thought not...

Slightly but since reading the description "traders flap" on the rear an official LNER  photograph I've never quite been the same.

Seeing old enamel signs on Victorian houses that proclaim "Tradesmen Entrance to Rear" has a similar effect on my constitution.

P

• RMweb Gold

Slightly but since reading the description "traders flap" on the rear an official LNER  photograph I've never quite been the same.

Seeing old enamel signs on Victorian houses that proclaim "Tradesmen Entrance to Rear" has a similar effect on my constitution.

P

Could be worse P.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/A7Y1R1/back-passage-smithfield-london-A7Y1R1.jpg

Mike.

Morning all. Just stumbled across this thread. I wonder if anyone could help me. I am building a layout based in the 1983-88 period, and wonder if I can get away with either running, or having some condemned 16tonners in a siding or 2. I'm sure I can recall seeing them running about back in the day mid eighties, but I can't remember liveries or types. I would be interested to know if any suitable versions are available in kit form from the Parkside/Peco stable. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Morning all. Just stumbled across this thread. I wonder if anyone could help me. I am building a layout based in the 1983-88 period, and wonder if I can get away with either running, or having some condemned 16tonners in a siding or 2. I'm sure I can recall seeing them running about back in the day mid eighties, but I can't remember liveries or types. I would be interested to know if any suitable versions are available in kit form from the Parkside/Peco stable. Any advice greatly appreciated.

By the period in question, any left running around would either be in service with the engineers as spoil carriers or on local scrap workings, the majority of the traditional coal yards having closed after the Miners' Strike. They'd all have been vacuum-fitted. The Parkside range includes an unfitted 1/108 mineral, which can be converted to a fitted one with the addition of brake-cylinders and tie-bars between the axleguards. They do list a fitted one, but it's a representative of a small batch based on a longer underframe. With careful carving, you used to be able to model the 8-shoe fitted underframe using the 'Red Panda' underframe, but I'm not sure what's happened to that following the Peco takeover.

• RMweb Premium

Going back a few posts to things that could be taken the wrong way.

While doing some local research over the holiday I have found a servant who was at the big house down the road around 1880 who went by the name of Fanny Sparks.

Bernard