Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

I cannot understand how I missed the photo, as being "Cardiff-centric" I have studied this Flickr site many times.

Brian R

You and me both, Brian - and like you, I'd scanned the collection looking for precisely this sort of thing! Now we know, however, there is the question of building a model or two, sometime.

Adam

You and me both, Brian - and like you, I'd scanned the collection looking for precisely this sort of thing! Now we know, however, there is the question of building a model or two, sometime.

Adam

Slightly outside my time span (1970-1972) as I believe they'd surrendered their baulks/bolsters then to the coil conversions, albeit I can justify the RTB coil wagons.

Brian R

Slightly outside my time span (1970-1972) as I believe they'd surrendered their baulks/bolsters then to the coil conversions, albeit I can justify the RTB coil wagons.

Brian R

Ah, but they do fit into mine! That's interesting - and of course the wagons were of a similar size and the bolsters of a similar pattern - but how do we know that this is what happened? All the more reason to model one, well, once I've cleared my project backlog a little.

Thanks,

Adam

I've seen pictures of what I presume to be pit props loaded end downwards in 16 tonners.  Is there a standard size for pit props?

I have boxes of such timber for modelling traffic in the SE United States and tried loading a Bachmann wagon:

post-2484-0-03302600-1472306702_thumb.jpg

How common a load, and was timber for other purposes loaded in such a fashion?

• Like 1

...do a Google search for "Hartlepool Pit props"...which should bring up some idea of how they were loaded...I suspect they weren't quite as long as the ones you've loaded.

...also there is a down side to having so much timber on your door step...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20K90qd4Dms

They'd be about 6'6"- 7' 0" tops, and many would be shorter. There were different ways of loading them. One was to rest the tops of the first layer on the top of the fixed end to the wagon, then build from that until the bottom ends butted against the other end of the wagon. Another was to build a sort of 'stockade' around the sides using vertical pieces, like Ernie's photos, then infill with pieces laid horizontally, either lengthways or crossways. I remember there being a big stockpile next to the main line, about where Wentloog container terminal now is; this was there into the late 1960s.

I've seen pictures of what I presume to be pit props loaded end downwards in 16 tonners.  Is there a standard size for pit props?

I have boxes of such timber for modelling traffic in the SE United States and tried loading a Bachmann wagon:

attachicon.gif006.JPG

How common a load, and was timber for other purposes loaded in such a fashion?

If you struggle - I have a copy of the GWR guidance on loading "pitwood".

Generally loaded crosswise amidships (i.e. between the drop doors) and then stacked on end at each end of the wagon (as in your image) and leaning against the top edge of the wagon end.

There were different rules for different lengths of 'pitwood' - generally it was, as Brian W mentions, about 6'6" to 7'0" in length. 

In addition, some photos you see published are of wagons conveying piwood unloaded from ships to a stacking ground within the same dock area. The manner in which some of these wagons are 'loaded' would not be permitted outside the dock and on the national network.

Finally, I suspect your timber may be slightly to large in diameter for pitwood / pit props.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

If you struggle - I have a copy of the GWR guidance on loading "pitwood".

Generally loaded crosswise amidships (i.e. between the drop doors) and then stacked on end at each end of the wagon (as in your image) and leaning against the top edge of the wagon end.

There were different rules for different lengths of 'pitwood' - generally it was, as Brian W mentions, about 6'6" to 7'0" in length. 

In addition, some photos you see published are of wagons conveying piwood unloaded from ships to a stacking ground within the same dock area. The manner in which some of these wagons are 'loaded' would not be permitted outside the dock and on the national network.

Finally, I suspect your timber may be slightly to large in diameter for pitwood / pit props.

Brian R

Seen on a Torrington to Hawill Freight, would this fit the GWR guide?

post-2484-0-99523500-1472421247_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Elvanfoot, 9-8-64.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/23917069706/in/dateposted/

Stourbridge 12/63.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/23943895822/in/dateposted/

Apparently yout tare weight black panel doesnt need to be rectangular!

Banff, 1950s?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/24464046344/in/dateposted/

Elevated viewpoint, showing one loaded/one empty.

Between Saxondale Junction and Radcliffe-on-Trent, 9-62.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/26119710411/in/dateposted/

Primarily included for the weathering/rusting on the second right one, but also a cupboard door one.

Near Motherwell, 21/6/66.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/21385906680/in/dateposted/

Hope none posted previously!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...