Bachmann Couplings

• RMweb Gold

I'm a big fan of these pipe couplings as I use them on the Bachmann Mk1s to good effect.Although suited mainly to fixed rakes I was wondering if they can be used on Bachmann Colletts too.Are the coupling boxes available seperately perhaps as you can buy the pipe coupling as a spare but it has the forked end connection.The other problem is the couplings are fixed to the bogie on the Colletts.

Any advice ?

• 4 months later...

I have a relatively new Bachmann Class 25 OO gauge, and couplings that are quite small. I have a Bachmann MK1 coach, again relatively new and with couplings almost if not the same size as the Class 25 and they couple up together fine. I have just bought another Bachmann MK coach, but this time it is older and has larger couplings. This latest coach clearly does not like to be coupled to the Class 25 or the new coach as each time it goes round a bend, the older coach derails.

The larger coupling (old coach) is not screwed on. The plug in couplings on the Class 25 and newer coach are much better quality and I'd like to keep those.

Clearly the older coach (larger couplings) will have to be modified at both ends but as the current couplings are not screwed on, how will I fit newer ones the same as the 25 without replacing the bogies??

Any tips to prevent this derailing or is there a way I can fit the same kind of couplings to the old coach as per the Class 25 ?? At the moment, this old coach cannot be used.

So this is a model with the old style bogies which had the larger coupler moulded integrally with the bogie?

There are a raft of options, but what is arguably the simplest is to cut off the old style coupler leaving a level 'landing' remnant large enough to make a strong joint, cement on a piece of plasticard on top of this landing as a projecting tongue; and once set then screw on a Bachmann miniature tension lock to the underside. That will place the coupler at correct height with minimal trouble. You will have to attend to the postion of the bumper bar relative to the buffer faces* to ensure the vehicle will go around the tightest radius curve you intend using, and any clearances of the new parts under the bufferbeam and coach underside.

* It is possible to arrange much closer coupling even for set track curves than the manufacturer provides, if you care to experiment.

Andy, when you say that the couplings on the older coach are not screwed on, do you mean that they are moulded as part of the bogies? This is a bit puzzling, since as far as I know Bachmann never made Mk 1 coaches like that. Their Mk 1 suburbans (non-corridor) had couplers screwed on to the bogies, and the Mk 1 corridor coaches have always (I think) had close-coupling units with coupler heads which clip in to the notorious not-quite-NEM362 coupler pockets.

Some Bachmann OO coaches have had couplers moulded on to the bogies, e.g. the SR Bulleid coaches. Is it possible that a previous owner swapped the bogies for the wrong kind? To work reliably, your older coach needs to have close-coupling boxes and arms fitted. This means attaching after-market units such as the Keen Systems coupler boxes mentioned by 34XXX above, and cutting a slot in the outer ends of the bogies. But if your coach is a genuine Bachmann Mk 1, and not just a Hornby or Lima coach sold to you in the wrong box (which is what it sounds like), the only sensible solution is to replace the bogies with Bachmann spares. (36-005 or 36-008 if you prefer the Commonwealth type.) They're not too expensive compared to Keen Systems or Ribu.

Ooops, I missed 34XXX's new post while typing mine. It seems that there may have been Bachmann Mk 1's with moulded-on couplers after all? Sorry if I misled anyone.

I think the Mk1s sold by Replica (FO, TSO and BCK) were marked Bachmann underneath as they actually manufactured them. They certainly had the couplings moulded onto the bogies.

Hey 34, eHattons state as follows:

These bogies are fitted with fixed couplings NOT the swinging couplings as fitted to the model as standard. If these bogies are to be fitted to a model with the swinging couplings, the couplers should be removed and the new bogies fitted.

Swinging couplings ???? What are they ?

• RMweb Gold

By swinging couplings they mean the close coupling mechanism that allows the coupling to extend when going round a bend. If you turn your up to date Mk1 over you will see that the coupling isn't connected to the bogie, but to an arm on the end of a spring.

The replacement bogies have the new smaller coupling. Although there is no close coupling action with these, the actual tension lock part of the coupling will be of an identical design to your 25 and Mk1 and should be 100% compatible.

Archived