The Derby Line, Gladiator LNER O4/3

dibateg

Thanks David, I still want that, but other priorities have taken my small savings this year, like keeping my eldest over the summer with his broken wrist not allowing him to work....

Dibateg: Thanks, yes, it gives me time to save for that one too. I DID have funds for both before their respective owners retired, but neither were available....

I wanted to get some better pics as the conservatory has too much reflected light, with a low sun at this time of year. So a quick lash up in the morning with my 'studio' equipment assured some marginally better shots.. If you are going Festival of Railway modelling at Peterborough, look out for it on Lough MPD!

post-6972-0-09189300-1476379024_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 7

Not to hijack the thread, but there's another standard 4 which has recently been finished.  not MOK, but 7 1/4" gauge...

http://www.steamworkshop.co.uk/portfolio/7-14-standard-4-tank/

And video, (not sure if you can see it unless you're on facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/livesteamworkshop/videos/

If you like these locos, its worth your time to check it out.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike - no problem

I've been on lots of little jobs, sort of little... I don't often do 4mm now, but there are 18 ( it feels like thousands ) Bachman A1s to renumber and detail. I'm well on the way now...

post-6972-0-52721100-1477295430_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Mike - no problemI've been on lots of little jobs, sort of little... I don't often do 4mm now, but there are 18 ( it feels like thousands ) Bachman A1s to renumber and detail. I'm well on the way now...attachicon.gifP1030959.JPG

Don't let TW see them he might not cope. Hope all the light runs are being indervidualised and correct numbers of lubricators etc.

What fun though.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to embark on this project, but there are no usual disclaimers. I shall blatantly promote the kit as it will be produced by the Finney7 consortium and I know most of the members. And I might be able to blag some free stuff.  Having said that, I won't hold back on what I don't like as most people know, I don't build kits straight from the box. I feel that the design comes from an era when every problem could be resolved by etching, however, the castings in the kit are top quality.

I think we'll start with this bit, I can already see a lot of rivets to press out..

post-6972-0-99368700-1478161825_thumb.jpg

A few hours work - and planning gets this:-

post-6972-0-24410200-1478162262_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have to follow this as I am slowly building the 4mm version, the tender is just about all in one piece but not painted. I didn't feel like the chassis battle just at the moment so started on the body. The boiler rolled so nicely but I can see the fire box cab is a challange! I can see that the 4mm to the 7mm is not that bigger in difference other than the size!

.....And I might be able to blag some free stuff.

Isn't this half the point? :jester:

I can already see a lot of rivets to press out...

Ain't that the truth! I started pressing them out on the A4 bogie frames and could actually detect my eyesight deteriorating as I guided the sharp end of the rivetter into each depression. By the last few I was operating entirely by feel, not by sight. Then I realised that there were a few more of these things on the mainframes!

Guest Lyonesse

Isn't this half the point? :jester:

Ain't that the truth! I started pressing them out on the A4 bogie frames and could actually detect my eyesight deteriorating as I guided the sharp end of the rivetter into each depression. By the last few I was operating entirely by feel, not by sight. Then I realised that there were a few more of these things on the mainframes!

Save your eyes Horse.  With a few exceptions (mainly Victorian 4-4-0s) rivets/bolts on the mainframes are completely invisible, especially under a coat of dirty black paint.  Martin even likes to include the rivets that sit behind the driving wheels.  I defy anyone to find those on a completed model.

I can sleep at night knowing the rivets are there! Anything to get a good nights sleep..

So it doesn't take long to make the hornblocks and connecting rods. They can all be fitted and soldered in to place.

post-6972-0-80385300-1478328643_thumb.jpg

This is then followed by a test on my reverse curve plank. The frames are quite wide, but this temporary lash up will negotiate 4' radius - not that the loco will ever be called on to do so.

post-6972-0-19544200-1478328759_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Lyonesse

But you'd know they weren't there.......... :O

Well, yes.  And I'm as guilty as anyone of including detail that can't be seen but should be there.  But just sometimes you should force yourself to be rational and leave it off.

Guest Lyonesse

I wanted to get some better pics as the conservatory has too much reflected light, with a low sun at this time of year. So a quick lash up in the morning with my 'studio' equipment assured some marginally better shots.. If you are going Festival of Railway modelling at Peterborough, look out for it on Lough MPD!

attachicon.gifP1030934a.jpg

And here's mine.  These are undoubtedly handsome locos and it's nice that someone is building a replica.  I've also built the 4mm Finney version.post-14166-0-60480000-1478351731_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lyonesse

post-12187-0-91094800-1478376062_thumb.jpg

And here's one I made earlier, lovely kit to build. Mine has the working inside Stephenson valve gear as produced by Martin Finney. Seen on a visit to Leamington Spa, strolling away with 50+ coal wagons, an unlikely load but then............

Jeff

• Like 3