Dapol 86 - the next batch ?

dave flint

Just popped into my local shop for some chips, and he's sat there with a delivery just in from Dapol.

In it is nd099p, a class 86 in railfreight triple grey with the freightliner symbol. So out comes the wallet.......

What it also has is the new pantograph, modelled on the brecknell-willis prototype.

I have to say it looks very fine indeed, but also very fragile. It appears to hold itself in position by friction. Whether vibrations cause it to drop in use I don't know, but for those who asked for a more lifelike pan, it looks like we've got one.

be glad it wasn't a Heljan 37 you had to sneak in to the house. A Dapol box fits quite nicely in a pocket!!

I am making a trip to my local model shop tomorrow morning to go and get my Ollie Cromwell, and hopefully either a powerhaul or EWS 86.

the pantograph looks good but I will wait to pass judgement on it till I have seen it.

Alistair

Hmmm, it doesn't look quite as fine as I think we had been led to expect does it! The main arm does look too long, and has a strange knuckle in it.

Given Dapol's use of the Tomix scharfenberg coupling and Tomix track cleaner, any bets that this is actually just an off the shelf Tomix pantograph?

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a Tomix single-arm pan to my Dapol 86 - it is much smaller than the new Brecknall-Willis unit fitted on the new releases.

Photo HERE

Really need to see these in action before deciding what to use on my small fleet of 90s and 91s. I so want the Dapol ones to be right, as the shape seems spot on - they just seem big.

Hi Gang;

Have to agree with Adam here...the Dapol attempt at a modern pantograph looks a little overscale..a la Lima is to Farish from the old days. If I were to look objectively, I would say that the width is good but they are over long on the pantograph arm.

I also have some of the Green Max plastic pans to fit to my electric loco stud ...and I fear that I will choose this route at £4.50 for 2 pans , as opposed to the, as yet, unadvertised price for the Dapol set.

Again, agreeing withAadam, I would have liked a perfect solution by Dapol...but alas..it doesn't seem to have arrived yet.

Later;

STU from EGDL

Archived