N Dapol Megafrets & Peco Code 55 points & track

Guest tony graham

Guest tony graham

Morning Chaps,

For a while now I have had a constant problem with my N gauge Megafrets from Dapol Derailing on points and even on straight track. I have this problem also with the Spine wagons.

I use Peco code 55 finescale N gauge track and turnouts.

Also I have containers on them with some added weight in them, but not all of them so I cant see it being a problem with the wagons being too light.

This last week I had a visit here in Carlisle from member from Inverness and he came up with a possibility of the back 2 backs being wrong, so I took out an axle and fitted it into the back 2 back gauge and there is a bit of play from side to side.

So if there is play on the wheels and axles could this be problem and if so how do I rectify the problem?

Regards

Tony

P.S. if I have omitted anything that could be of use then please let me know........

• RMweb Premium

If there is play you should be able to push the offending wheels a little closer together. Do the wheels seem to spin freely or do they wobble when they spin?

I've not investigated these, but if the axle can be disassembled into the three components then could you file down the inner end of the plastic tube to reduce B2B, add washers outside the wheels to reduce variation in gauge, and/or add washers between the two plastic pieces to increase B2B?

The other option might be the small wheels fitted to the Farish intermodals, but I'm not sure if these are available as spares or whether they would go into the Dapol bogie.

HI All

Have you got Peco PL10 point motors installed directly onto the points!!!!

If so you might find the bogie side frame hits the pin of the motor, this was the case on Law Junction, once i trimmed the pins down the wagons were like all the rest, can derail but no real reason.

Regards Arran

• RMweb Premium

Do the derailments always happen at the same points on the track or do they appear to be random. If might be that there are some very slight track discrepancies that are making a difference and these combined with the fractionally (I assumed that this is all it is) wider b2b of the stock could be what is causing issues.

Archived