Aboyne Railway Station

Matthew2h1

Hello to all

I am trying to downsize on all my hobbies and finish them so i can forfill a bit of a life goal, and that is to model Aboyne Station in Scotland where my great granfarther was the station master. Though living in New Zealand its abit of a way to come but im on here on holiday and went and got the nessicary pics and that i needed but here is a brief history.

Opened as an extension to the Deeside railway on 2 December 1859, being the terminus until the line to Braemar was opened by the Aboyne and Bremar railway in 1866. Later to be leased and then part of the Great North of Scotland Railway the station became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923, passing on to the Scottish Region of British Railways during the nationalisation of 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board on 28 February 1966.

Not only this but being so close to Balmoral and castle it was used by Queen Victoria and such like in her majestys royal carraige which could prehaps be another model to build. This station was just before the entry of the only Railway tunnel in Aberdeenshire, had two lovely platforms and had a singal box upon entry from Aberdeen way. Any how i know what to use and how to build it but what i need help with is what sort of locomotives and rolling stock ran in this time period? Any help would be greatfully appreciated

Thanks for the help and pics attached below for enjoyment

Matthew

post-8054-0-20305200-1302383685_thumb.jpg

This show the main station building looking towards Aberdeen after the track was lifted. The signal box would have been on the far right of the picture

post-8054-0-75673500-1302383885_thumb.jpg

A look through Aboyne towards Bremar showing the singal box and both platforms visible

post-8054-0-94377200-1302384450_thumb.jpg

This shows the front side of the station building today where there are no remenants of track what so ever

post-8054-0-12278400-1302384602_thumb.jpg

This show the veiw from the other side of the station towards Bremar showing the tunnel under Aboyne

post-8054-0-73315700-1302384806_thumb.jpg

Showing the station in its full glory looking toward Aberdeen with the signal box just visible

"Any how i know what to use and how to build it but what i need help with is what sort of locomotives and rolling stock ran in this time period? Any help would be greatfully appreciated"

Which time period, you have 107 years to play with.. that's a LOT of years!!

This would make a fantastic model. Looking forward to seeing how you interpret the site. I am guessing that you want to model this station in its earlier years? The reference to Q Vic was a clue! Would look totally stunning in P4.

Hi Matthew,

I think the Great North of Scotland Railway Association is probably your best bet. Their website is www.gnsra.org.uk. They have a booklet on the Royal Deeside Railway and good information on rolling stock. IIRC David and Charles published a history of the Deeside back in the 60s which may be available through abebooks.co.uk.

Steve

Mathew,

There was an article on modelling Aboyne in the Sept. '95 Railway Modeller.

Also the GNSRA publication "Modelling the Great North of Scotland Railway" has an article on modelling the Deeside line including Aboyne plus one on GNSR structures.

By the way, I don't think there was ever any track "in front of" i.e. north of the station building at Aboyne.

"her majestys royal carraige which could prehaps be another model to build."

Why not, though in reality she would always have de-trained at Ballater.

Alan

Hello again

I have been to aboyne today and had a look around and took the nessicary photos. And geuss where else.......... Of course i've been to the hobby store and brought enough plasticard in patterns such as roof tiles and bricks to model the station in. Another handy pick up was a peice of translucent plasticard for the windows and station canopy etc. Along with a couple of ratio fencing packs that was appropriate for Aboyne.

Though to you guys i have left some important details out so they are as follows.......

I will model in OO scale because that is what i model in and feel you can get the optimum space but with the great deal of detail.

I have one baseboard of 1600mm x 600mm size thats made form 2 x 1 timber rectangle with three supports in between with MDF top and another will be built to cope for the full station form the tunnel to just past the signal box.

Im going to model the station between 1955-1966 which is its last ten years when my great grandfather worked there. So what rolling stock and locos ran between 1955-1956

I have four major areas to model that being the main station building, the waiting room on the other side of the platforms, the footbridge in the centre of the station and the signal box. Other things to model are the canopys, platforms and the wall and tunnel entrance at the far end.

As for the photos i will ad them later tonight along with pics of what i brought today

Thanks

Matthew

B1 4-6-0's, BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T's were regular steam performers with 61180 hauling the last freight on 30th December 1966. From 1958 the two car battery powered DMU (Sc 79998/Sc 79999)was used in conjunction with a Met Camm unit reallocated from further south. Most workings were Cravens DMU's however. The last train to Ballater on 15th July 1966 where the line closed west of Culter was hauled by D8610-the only time a Clayton was seen on Deeside. For the remaining 5 1/2 months of goods traffic a class 08 type shunter was used

Mathew,

I grew up beside the Deeside line, and I echo what Martin has said but there were quite a few others especially if you go back a year to 1954 - the B12/1s (Belpaire) and B12/4s were still running on the line then (some in apple green). The K2s ("Lochs"), Glens (D34), (both classes recently tranferred from Eastfield), ex-LMS 2P 4-4-0s, the V4s, were common but D40/41s often appeared and sometimes Kittybrewster suprised us with some unusual running-in turn from Inverurie works.

The passenger trains (around '54 anyway) were ex-LNER corridor coaches - (BTK,CK,BTK) in winter with an extra open coach (diagram 186) in summer. Commuter traffic generally only went as far as Banchory.

A great deal of freight traffic was esparto grass and chemicals for the paper mills at Culter (where the paper for Bank of England notes was made!) so did not get out to Aboyne but there was a daily stopping goods that went right out to Ballater.

Alan

Hello again

Thanks for all the replys am more knoledgeable to tackle this project

Attached the photos i promised below

Thanks

Matthew

post-8054-0-82015200-1302511292_thumb.jpg

This shows the entrance to the station building which know houses retail

post-8054-0-97354300-1302511367_thumb.jpg

This shows the station from what would have been the platform

post-8054-0-79730100-1302511751_thumb.jpg

Looking from what would have been the end of the platform towards the tunnel now used as a shooting range

post-8054-0-18816100-1302511665_thumb.jpg

This shows the station end

post-8054-0-23144400-1302511848_thumb.jpg

Shows the roof tile i brought

post-8054-0-30513100-1302511924_thumb.jpg

Shows the tiling i brought

post-8054-0-88616700-1302511958_thumb.jpg

Shows the brick sheet for the station building

post-8054-0-46286700-1302512003_thumb.jpg

The fencing, tube for the pole for the canopy and the translucant 'glass' panel underneath

I have also brought a couple of white sheets to make the base of the model and the other bits on top

• 4 years later...

Archived