Gresley suburbans

Downer

I was trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot and could only get three of the 0 gauge coaches on the diaramma. I only had the job of painting them. Would a 4mm set sell? Well If they can sell the Brighton Belle then anything's possible!

Hi Coach, in the same spirit of fear you hinted at in the Hornby 2012 speculation thread, Hornby may, and I sincerely hope do not, attempt to sell models of the Bulleid Co-Co. There are some things in British engineering history better left buried!

Rob

To answer my own question, I've found the relevant drawings in "Historic Carriage Drawings in 4mm Scale", which has elevations and plans of the modiifications to the 4-compartment brake 3rd for a push-pull driving position.

Unfortunately the 8-compartment full third is not included and therefore the modifications for push-pull remain someting of a mystery (all the more as this carriage was coupled "inside" the locomotive and tends not to have been photographed that often. I'm guessing that similar additional cabling to that applied to the brake 3rd would have been fitted.

Any intermediate carriages were also fitted with the additional equipment, most visibly electrical connections similar to the through lighting controls. Often forgotten is that such connections were also fitted to the rear of the P-P fitted loco.

There is a colour photograph on p21 of RC Riley's The Colour of Steam Volume 9 - The Great Eastern Line, Atlantic 1990, taken on the Epping & Ongar branch that clearly shows the nearside flying connection attached to the rear of the bunker of F5 67218. The same photograph appears (larger size) in his Steam in East Anglia - A Colour Portfolio, Ian Allan 2002.

I have seen a photograph of the inner end of the P-P set which clearly shows these additional connections but cannot locate it at the moment. It might be worth browsing a copy of the Middelton Press book on the Epping-Ongar Branch.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

Well I for one would eb happy if Hornby in the future chose to do the Push pull sets... would look very nice with their N2....now going near wishlists of the other fitted loco's, F4, G5 etc it would cost me too much...b*&%^er I just did it. I am currently building some old kits from D&S and the interesting feature of the dia 18, 19 NER brake 3rds is they have square end windows which suggest push pull from the brake ends. Any how I am not building a push pull set.

I have a wonder about Hornby 's motives with so many variants possible with minor modifications. I wonder if they will take up the challange and give us these options. IE a twin set would be very interesting but would they sell them at 76quid and what would the retail price be? :blink:

All the best for the new year.... bit warm here (Melbourne Australia) at the moment 40degrees :sungum:

ON LMS push pull stock, the extra pair of jumper cables on the ends of motor-fitted stock was for the bell-push whereby the driver and fireman could communicate when coaches were being propelled. It is likely they served the same purpose on LNER stock.

• Like 1

Earlier on in this thread Max stafford was wondering if these coaches ran in North Wales........the LNER ran into Wrexham Central from Chester Northgate and Seacombe on the old Great Central lines...... would this suburbs have been used or were the coaches more Great Central / ex Cheshire Lines. Looking at some of the pictures of trains on these lines there sure was a real mixed bag of stock.

Someone asked earlier about coaches out of Kings X. Here's a shot my good friend Jim sent me many years ago. Class B1 No.61113 is on a Hichin - London Kings Cross local at Potter Bar in September 1952.

Gresley non-corridor articulated twin-sets top 'n tail a Gresley all third and lavatory compo as per Hornby's models.

post-6680-0-11924000-1326376141.jpg

Photo by Jim Davenport. Brian Green collection

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
Guest Tom F

Morning all!

I notice the BR Gresley Suburban Brake R4522 is out of stock pretty much everywhere. Do we know when we may see this again, or have Hornby discontinued Brake 3rd? Seems an odd one to discontinue if so.

In most cases, you do need a brake at each end if you're modelling the Scarborough-Whitby-Middlesbrough line, although I doubt that so many people are doing so that it would result in a shortage. :)

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

I think they've just sold quicker than the rest Tom, on the (mistaken) assumption folk have that they must have a brake at each end of a rake.

Thanks Pennine

In most cases, you do need a brake at each end if you're modelling the Scarborough-Whitby-Middlesbrough line, although I doubt that so many people are doing so that it would result in a shortage. :)

You worked out my future intentions for them....thankfully we have the Thompsons to come!

Do we know if they intend to produce more? There seems to be plenty of teak ones mind! ;)

Edited by Tom F

Maybe you underestimate how influential you are, Richard :wink_mini:

• Like 1

Indeed we do, Tom. :) A selection of Thompsons are very much on my list, just need to summon up the enthusiasm to hunt down an A8 to sit at the front (and make a change from an L1)...

Ian - What can I say? It's a knack. ;)

• 4 months later...

Someone asked earlier about coaches out of Kings X. Here's a shot my good friend Jim sent me many years ago. Class B1 No.61113 is on a Hichin - London Kings Cross local at Potter Bar in September 1952.

Gresley non-corridor articulated twin-sets top 'n tail a Gresley all third and lavatory compo as per Hornby's models.

post-6680-0-11924000-1326376141.jpg

Photo by Jim Davenport. Brian Green collection

The fourth vehicle in this train looks like it's a steel-panelled one.

Not all sets had brakes at each end but, looking at the carriage workings, many had two brakes. BT-CL-BT was a very common basic formation, strengthened by as many T as were necessary according to the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Beware if you take these apart, it can be much more difficult to get them back together again! I've just spent ages at it this morning, and thought I never would manage it. The underframe mouldings are a very tight fit inside the bodies, and I found it very difficult to get both corners at the same end back inside the body shell. If it's a Brake 3rd (as mine was), the undeframe mouldings are 'handed' to take account of the brake section's inset sides, with a rebate in the floor moulding to match.

• 1 month later...

Got my 2013 Calenders with the relevant magazines and for December one of them is showing a BR Gresley Suburban Brake R4522A. I hope this is Good News for some and if it is going to happen can I just say "If I can make just one person happy" then I will burst into song.

Got my 2013 Calenders with the relevant magazines and for December one of them is showing a BR Gresley Suburban Brake R4522A. I hope this is Good News for some and if it is going to happen can I just say "If I can make just one person happy" then I will burst into song.

So how is the R4522A different from the earlier R4522?

Push-pull variety? Oh, please!