Who makes a "centre-off" single track controller ?

brian777999

Who makes a "centre-off" single track controller, preferably with a built in transformer ? It does not matter if it has an English plug as I can buy an Australian adaptor. Most controllers now seem to have the reversing switch which I do not want.

Hi Brian.

For a new one you could try here.They are in OZ.

http://aus.morleycontrollers.com/shop/default.asp

http://www.morleycon...sp?ProductID=42

Or you could pick up an old H & M one cheap on E Bay.I know they are no longer made but even though old they are pretty bomb proof.

I am afraid that Morley do not make a single track controller ; they only make the two and four track controllers.

I have tried to buy a H and M Clipper but there are a lot of other people besides me who want one as well. I am always getting beaten on ebay.

Fleischmann make a great one - I use one. Centre off with special slow running control too. Very well made, as you'd expect.

I can't remember the model number of mine but the smaller version is the 6755. I can't recommend highly enough. I don't like reversing switches either.

Steve1, I'm pretty sure no Gaugemasters are centre off.

Fleischmann make a great one - I use one. Centre off with special slow running control too. Very well made, as you'd expect.

I can't remember the model number of mine but the smaller version is the 6755. I can't recommend highly enough. I don't like reversing switches either.

Steve1, I'm pretty sure no Gaugemasters are centre off.

You are correct ; Gaugemaster controllers all have the reversing switch. I will investigate the Fleischmann models.

Fleischmann : model 6735 is $153 and model 6755 is $207 so they are not cheap. Quality never is, I suppose.

I would have thought that it would be cheaper and easier to make a controller with "centre off" controls but most manufacturers seem to have gone with the reversing switch over the last few years.

Apologies all round. I mis-read the request and thought you meant the reversing switch would have a centre off.

As it happens, I don't like centre-off controllers and prefer the "round the dial" and switch system. But each to their own. :D

steve

Hi

I have to ask.... Why the need for a centre off type controller?

You get better finer control with a continuous controller with separate direction switch!

I find it more sensible and easier to use. You slow and stop the train before reversing it just by using one control. Each to his own, I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

You get better finer control with a continuous controller with separate direction switch!

Personally I prefer the centre off approach, probably something to do with having used a Duette for 35 years. B)

Some couplings aer easier to use with a centre-off controller. Trying to do the Kaydee-shuffle is fiddly enough as it is without having to stop and throw a switch each time you want to change direction.

Who makes a "centre-off" single track controller, preferably with a built in transformer ? It does not matter if it has an English plug as I can buy an Australian adaptor. Most controllers now seem to have the reversing switch which I do not want.

Hi Brian

Would the current standard Hornby controller be of interest?

Have a look at:

http://www.Hornby.com/power-and-accessories-90/r8250/product.html

These are often sold split from trainsets with a plug-style transformer.

Regards

Some couplings aer easier to use with a centre-off controller. Trying to do the Kaydee-shuffle is fiddly enough as it is without having to stop and throw a switch each time you want to change direction.

Hmmm...when using one of those small handhelds, I hold it in my left hand (I'm right-handed) and I can control the knob and switch directions with my thumb, whilst uncoupling with my right hand.

steve

Hi Brian

Would the current standard Hornby controller be of interest?

Have a look at:

http://www.Hornby.com/power-and-accessories-90/r8250/product.html

These are often sold split from trainsets with a plug-style transformer.

Regards

I am not sure that Hornby make this one anymore. The latest versions have a reversing switch. It looks quite similar and many sellers are still using the old photo. Unless I am confused and this is the latest version !

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Brian,having the same problem!! i have 3 "micro" layouts,2 American and my latest a uk freelance 4x1ft,my old H&M Clipper has just started to make a loud buzzing noise and gets a bit warm after 15min.so it looks like it's days are numbered!must be at least 30+yrs. old!! So started to look around for a non feedback controller,a Guagemaster Combi would fit the bill but like yourself(i use KD's too) i would prefer a "centre off" rotating knob style of controller, but those available are nearly all of the reversing slide switch variety,however it looks like i might indulge in a Morley unit as price wise it is very competetive,it also comes complete with two remote handhelds with rotating centre off knobs on 2.5 mtr leads(can be longer).

Its a fixed base unit which is not what i originally wanted but the remote hand helds on longish leads would satisfy my requirements.

As Morley have an agent for AU.it could be well worth considering?

I also have a Bachman EZ DCC unit that i can plug into my layouts,and while i find it an excellent little unit to use with my USA chipped locos giving nice slow control,it has push buttons for reversing which are easier to use than a slide switch(just why do the little arrows point up and down instead of left to right? :huh: ) i still like a centre off control,i dont know if a dcc control unit can do that.

Good luck in your search.

Don.

Lima use to make a contoller to the specifications you require called the 'Transfo' I think (there is a representation of an electrical plug that makes the 'o' look like an 'e').

post-11907-0-48042100-1304585277_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-47035700-1304585364_thumb.jpg

If you could find one of these, it should fit the bill perfectly. I will say this though, it does not offer exceptional control at low power and I've found that locomotives will only start moving when around one third of the power is applied. Or maybe that's only me, dirty track and wheels etc!:D

One other thing, they are not all blue and silver, I have seen other colour variations like white instead of blue and red instead of silver. Hope this helps.

Matt.

Archived