New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

I have just been fitting a DCC chip to my example and it is a pig of a job...

Certainly is. I had to resort to some liquid lubrication (me, not the Cl.33). Not sure if that helped or hindered, but the job got done. It is by far the trickiest body to get on/off that I've come across.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, it needs strong nerves to apply the amount of force I found mine needed. That said, I'm very happy with the re-tooled model. I know REX gave it a rather negative review but I've spent quite a bit of time considering their review and my own impressions and came to the conclusion that whilst it may not be perfect it is a very good model and captures the likeness of the 33 well. At least to my eyes anyway.

As one of those blinkered heathens without a slide rule who thought the original one was pretty good, like jjb I do think the revised one is absolutely excellent. I too had to resort to cutting plasticard shims to aid body removal... the only credit card harmed was the one used to buy it (it hasn't come out since)!

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Before the new 33 appeared I had thought of attempting to graft the Heljan cab fronts (below the roof line) onto a Lima body - the Lima is definitely a better shape but to me the ends look pretty hopeless, with very undersized windows.

The Lima body is certainly an easy enough fit onto the HJ chassis, minimal surgery is necessary - I produced a couple, even managing to incorporate the HJ cab interiors. Both locos were sold off as soon as the new 33s arrived, they just didn't compare!

I've always thought the 33/1 bodyshell looked wrong around the windows and that the revised 33/0 captures the shape quite well. I was thinking of converting a new shape 33/0 to a 33/1 to create a uniform appearance across my small fleet.

Yep I agree on the front windows being slightly out on the 33/1. I think as soon as heljans horrible glazing is ditched for laserglaze the model looks pretty good. I'm happy with some compromises but can't get over the new roof on the 33/0 which is mostly what I'll be looking at!

Personally I think even the older Heljan 33/0 is better than the Lima. As far as I am able to tell, it seems that

Lima used the early roof style on all models, even for the last liveries which is impossible. Hornby actually got it right releasing it in BR green as a railroad model.

The first Heljan 33/0 has a lot going for it excerpt the wrong front windows and roof profile.

The second Heljan 33/0 with early roof (silencer exhaust), is as perfect a 33/0 we are likely to ever get, only it covers the small period I'm the early days of the class 33.

While the second Heljan 33/0 with later roof style has a whole series of errors making the body no better than the first 33/0 they offered. Indeed it has one roof panel, that is a separately fitted part on the body moulding which does not exist on the prototype.

The latter leads me to speculate that Heljen designed one body with a plug in roof piece to switch between early and late roofs. REX probably made some comments about how you cannot have 2 exhaust ports on the early model along with several other areas I can think of... This could lead to an entire separate tooling for the early 33 that we see today, however I would speculate that Heljan did not move off the late version leading to a breakdown between the parties. This is speculation of course based on the final models and the scant details both parties have released.

Below the under frame, the second 33/0 is much improved, and the good thing is, these can be retrofitted to the older Heljan models with ease if you wish to upgrade them. Likewise the buffer beam detail and cab fronts are much improved.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Anyone brought new retool class 33002 Dutch or 33033 railfreight construction with improved light?

I like class 33 but I need know bright light?

Thank you

33002 in Dutch does not have the high intensity light unlike the prototype as per today. The lights are a little brighter on this version IMHO.

Yep - I have 33002. I'm actually glad it doesn't have the high intensity headlight as I think it would be *too* bright. The real things aren't exactly searchlights! Marker lights and headcode panel certainly do seem brighter than previous versions. Having spent a good deal of time driving the real things, in reality the blinds are only illuminated by a couple of bayonet-fit household bulbs and shouldn't be too bright anyway. In daylight, you shouldn't actually be able to tell that the headcode is lit - on the model you certainly can.

I was contemplating getting one , but I ind I'm put off these days if they bodies don't come off easily for DCC installation.

Why can't they put a sliding hatch in the bottom of the fuel tank with a socket there ?

It just shows lack of thought and I'd have thought 50 % of people may want to chip their lcos these days

I was contemplating getting one , but I ind I'm put off these days if they bodies don't come off easily for DCC installation.

Why can't they put a sliding hatch in the bottom of the fuel tank with a socket there ?

It just shows lack of thought and I'd have thought 50 % of people may want to chip their lcos these days

I'll freely admit that the new 33 was the hardest body I've had to get off, but cut at least 4 plasticard shims, take a deep breath and go for it. It's such a nice model, it deserves a place on the layout. Once it's done, it's done. I've just chipped a blue/grey Hornby VEP and I was expecting the worst. By comparison, the body came off so easily it really took me by surprise!

• 1 month later...

I was having a look through this thread and thought you might like to see a couple of pics taken at havant in the late 70s. The single 33 is on the Brighton- Bristol and the double header is the Brighton- Exeter.  The Exeter train went over to Hastings units a few years before this but we were glad to see locos back.

dave

post-11423-0-90233600-1435163726_thumb.jpg

post-11423-0-65107700-1435163745_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The use of headcode 11 on the Exeter shows it to be post-Hastings unit in date.  G2 was used prior to that in the normal SR inter-regional series.  The train, which had been a year-round operation, was withdrawn after operation in summer 1973(?) then replaced next summer by a 6B+6L combination.  The empty car mileage was substantial; St. Leonards - Haywards Heath - Hove - Brighton.  If the coastal route was blocked by engineering works the route was St. Leonards - Tonbridge - Redhill - Hove - Brighton,

The SR tried to minimise the number of stencil plates each EMU cab had to carry and generally therefore avoided "doubles" such as 00, 11, 22 for electric headcodes and assigned these to diesel workings instead.  00, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88 and 99 were all in use at some point of the lengthy St. Leonards - Brighton - Exeter trek and 11 was assigned.  That was retained when loco-hauled operation resumed.

Among other quirks of this operation the timetables all contained a footnote that "Passengers requiring refreshments during the journey should state this when making reservations".  It was not of course possible to walk through from one unit to the next.  Hastings line commuters might have been accustomed to that but not so the majority of everyone else.

As well two first class compartments in the 6L unit - one at each end of the vehicle - were labelled "For the use of passenger travelling Second Class".  If one was prepared to ride over the bogie one could have a little more space, privacy and slightly plusher seat cushions.  I'll refrain from saying "more comfort"!  One each of those compartments was smoking and non-smoking. 

In winter the formation was reduced to 6B alone.

I'll freely admit that the new 33 was the hardest body I've had to get off, but cut at least 4 plasticard shims, take a deep breath and go for it. It's such a nice model, it deserves a place on the layout. Once it's done, it's done. I've just chipped a blue/grey Hornby VEP and I was expecting the worst. By comparison, the body came off so easily it really took me by surprise!

try fitting a speaker too - much easier in the older model

• 1 year later...

Just ordered the Model Rail exclusive 33/0- Heljan 3412, D6510, from Model Rail Offers. It's currently reduced by £31 in a Model Rail sale, to £95, which includes p&p.

I did the same a week or so ago. The GSYP should be the most popular livery for the model yet a limited run of 500 models has not only been around for quite a while but is reduced to shift it.