Stubby's Micro Layout - Polbraze - Heading for Taunton

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking more a stalwart, long standing member of the community which has provided excellent service, help and advice, and is now due a well deserved 2nd lease of life.

But you could be right.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing some full-sized planning recently, just to see how much room I've got and how the buildings will fit / look together.

The two lead points will need to be of the short variety, rather than medium, but as they will be hidden by the boat shed this should not be too apparent.

Other than that, it looks to be fine. I'll need to plan the quays and see what space I have left over on the dock area; I'm not sure if I can get another shed of somesort in there, without it looking over cluttered, but I also want to create some interesting views and scenes between the structures.

post-7025-12635012387624_thumb.jpg

Stu

• RMweb Gold

The Slaters letters have arrived and are being added to the building at the moment. Pictures later.

The Knightwing security office and double height portacabin are also on the to do list for tonight.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Jam,

As soon as there is a baseboard, I'll be taking the shots you want. I know I need to move the buildings around a bit, plus the track, until I'm happy it gives the views I want.

In the meantime, photos of "J Trollope Builders Merchant" as promised :

post-7025-12636797060979_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126367971555_thumb.jpg

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jam. You are correct, most of the added bits are micro strip or pre-shaped plastic rod. The hoist top hinge is half of a cable reel from the Airfix Forward Command Post and the pulley is some sort of valve/ tap from the Ratio Grounded Tanks kit. The close up photos do little to hide the roughness of the model, but it will be 3 ft 6 inches across the layout from the front edge so almost out of sight.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fianlly got round to building a model of the layout - to help prove the concept and spot any potential head-in-hands moments.

First up, the crate in the closed position for transport, but without the lid.

post-7025-12646204318621_thumb.jpg

Next the overall view of the layout once opened. There is a third folding quay to be added to the front - the two side ones were enough to confirm my ideas.

post-7025-12646204484294_thumb.jpg

This is one of the quays in the folded position - the extra bit of card is just there for photographic purposes.

post-7025-12646204681234_thumb.jpg

The only issues I have are to make sure the quays are short enough to be below the height of the box when closed, but long enough to be worth adding and that the quays cannot fall back onto the layout during transportation.

Just need a day off (ooh, got one on Friday...) and some warmer weather to get outside & make the layout proper.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get outside this afternoon and build the baseboard for Polbraze. Now as you know, the main baseboard is supplemented by two fold out sections. In order to maximise the square inches I've been using a simple spreadsheet to calculate the surface area, given the variable sizes of length and width for the various bits. The chip board I had allocated to use was 16.5 inches across - this would be the length of the extending pieces. I had two lengths of this chipboard - it used to be part of a cabin bed.

So I chopped the chipboard and 9mm ply for the track bed proper to size and using 34mm square softwood made up the one main piece.

However when I came to check the 2nd piece of chipboard, I found it was only 14.5 inches - 2 inches less.

Ok, thought I, a quick recalculation on the spreadsheet would show how much square inches I'd be missing. It was at this point I realised I'd made the whole baseboard 5inches too short! I'd used 33 inches, not the planned 38!

So, after contemplating binning the whole lot, I realised I could extend the layout by 8 inches, and still be inside the 2010 target.

So what could have been a disaster actually gives me more room.

Photos to follow.

• RMweb Gold

The Polbraze baseboard. First, the short version...

post-7025-12649374073234_thumb.jpg

Next, the new full size version

post-7025-12649374201237_thumb.jpg

And playing with some points and buildings to get a feel for where things will fit.

post-7025-12649374460739_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As part of the row of buildings along the backscene, I am intending to build a representation of the old Bickford-Smith Fuse factory, as can still be seen in Tuckingmill, Camborne.

The facade is of large granite blocks, carefully positioned in quite a decorative way.

post-7025-12656313382236_thumb.jpg

Badly merged photo of most of facade

On closer inspection, each stone has a well defined edge, with a raised centre of rougher finish.

post-7025-1265631600766_thumb.jpg

How would I best represent this in 4mm scale ?

Thoughts I've had so far include small pieces of heavy grade glass paper or possibly pieces of foamboard inner, but I'd be interested on what other options there may be.

Thanks in advance

Stu

• RMweb Premium

For what it is worth my method would be DAS or another air dry clay using a cheap small screwdriver ground to the width to carve off the flats on each block then on edge for the joints then plasticard for the plinths etc.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick,

That sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of scraping away the excess - I'd thought about trying to add small blobs of clay, but couldn't see a way of making them consitent in size and neat enough round the edges.

I'll probably use mount card for the basis of the wall and jutting-out pillars, plus as you suggest plasticard for the plinths, etc.

Cheers

Stu

could you model the whole wall in clay as a craggy granite mass, and then use a small piece of stripwood or plastic strip turned on edge to press the mortar courses in whilst wet?

I follow your posts closely, as there is always something like this to make one think 'h'mmm how would I do that?????....' cheers!

Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can a backscene be too high?

The one I'm planning for Polbraze will be 19" from the bottom edge, though only 17" above track level. I'd considered 24" (22"), but thought this was too high, both for transportation and operation.

I'm also wondering about the visual impact- would the best part of 13" of pure sky be too much ?

Comment welcome as always.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

My backscene is 16" from track level which is plenty - not too short but managable and large enough to take photos from almost any angle.

I think you'll be alright with 13" sky showing - best thing is to do a quick mock up just to check. :)

Glad you're still making progress!

All the best,

Jam

Guest oldlugger

Can a backscene be too high?

The one I'm planning for Polbraze will be 19" from the bottom edge, though only 17" above track level. I'd considered 24" (22"), but thought this was too high, both for transportation and operation.

I'm also wondering about the visual impact- would the best part of 13" of pure sky be too much ?

Comment welcome as always.

Stu

Great work Stu! It's coming on a treat. For a small layout like this I would keep the backscene fairly modest otherwise you will overpower the model. The smaller it is the "bigger" and "longer" the layout will seem; a larger/taller backscene will make the model appear more claustrophobic or cramped looking. If at all possible it would be nice to have no corners in the backscene - just a rounded look. I think this is going to be a great project...

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys for your replies. I think I'll settle on the 19" high board, it leaves me with a 5" spare piece which I can use to complete the box when closed, and which will double as a rolling stock barrier on the fiddle yard (which will be made out of the lid of the crate...).

Thanks also to the replies about the granite stonework. Following a view of Gordon S's marvellous stonework, I've been cutting up some Slaters 7mm stonework into individual stones and placing them on the building as required. Once painted these look very convincing (at least to me).

Photos later.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

More buildings for Polbraze.

First up is the promised view of the Bickford Smith Fuse factory, now occupied by Warriors and The Bed Kings. There is still a bit to do, the rest of the right side needs making, plus the distinctive arched doorway needs some attention. So far this is only a flat front piece, I intend to make if more half-relief, about an inch deep.

post-7025-126727893606_thumb.jpg

Next is a new shed complex for the middle of the baseboard. This will sit between the two curved sidings, and also straddle the front fold joint. If all goes to plan, the split in the building shape will help disguise the baseboard join. The second of hte views shows the front & right side, where a cantelievered roof will cover the rail loading bay.

post-7025-126727895958_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126727897899_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Some views of the track laying in progress, also showing the now added fold-out sections of sea - the fold-out sections of quay side still need to be added.

post-7025-126747185408_thumb.jpg

post-7025-12674718907_thumb.jpg

Hi Stu.

Just caught up on this thread, so this may be a bit late. Instead of hinging the piers why not have them as plug-ins? That way they could be slightly longer, as they would not need to clear the lid, but could still be carried internally when the layout is folded up for transport. Electrical connections could be via sliding contacts made as the piers are slotted into place or you could have a ruling that locos are not allowed on the piers, in which case reach wagons would need to be employed involving additional shunting as a bonus.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

After today's modelling session, where several theories for adding a hinged quay failed to work, your post is a timely one! I might just do what you suggest, as you say it will be easier and give longer sidings. I will allow locos on, as the entensions will be of a more modern design to the original stone quays, to give some contrast.

So thanks !!

Stu

Archived