Unidentified wagons

I know we all like this kind of thing, so here are some shots of rolling stock I wasn't sure about at Beamish yesterday.

This looks to me like a G1 NER van with the outside framing boarded over? No makers plate in sight.

g1_zpsdba7cc2f.jpg

This looks like a G2 with detail differences and in an unusual livery.

g2_zpsf067f563.jpg

On the other hand I have no idea whatsoever what these might be.

short1_zpse8acad9d.jpg

short2_zpsd7dd1746.jpg

short3_zpsebc6626a.jpg

Edited by jwealleans

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure about the first one but the second van is LNWR. This like many other such vehicles lost their original identities whilst in military service. The two RNAD vans are ammunition vans specially built for the Royal Navy in 1913, these would have been 'internal user'.

I am nervous about offering this information as a first post in the forum but here goes.

I saw WD47877 when it was an exhibit at the Beverley Museum of Army Transport from where I took the following notes.

“This van has always worked for the Army. Vans give protection from the weather and pilferage. Note the lower door which acts as a loading ramp.

This box or closed van was used for the movement of small stores. Loading and unloading was facilitated by the use of the hinged bottom flap, which when lowered on to the platform, formed a bridge for the passage of sack barrows then used in freight handling.

The wagon was constructed for the War Department in 1918 by Cravens Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Ltd of Sheffield. The wheels were made by Miller & Company of Edinburgh in 1917.

This particular wagon arrived at the museum in February 1986 from the army depot at Bicester having been transferred from a depot at Didcot in 1956. Beyond this date the history is difficult to establish due to the renumbering of equipments that occurred in the mid 1950s.â€

Although I cannot confirm it from photos, I believe that the two RNAD vans are from the same museum. If so, they were described as follows.

“...two very unusual small closed vans built in Rotherham in 1913 and used in Royal Naval Armaments Depot, Gosport, for the internal movement of small consignments of explosives within the Dockyard. They feature sliding, opening roof sections to allow loading by crane.â€

Tony

• Like 6

Paul,

There is a photo by you of a similar van, WD47444, at Ludgershall in Vol. 16, No. 1 of the HMRS Journal. The caption refers to “the LNWR designed vans built for the WD in 1917-18â€. It also refers to further information in Vol. 14 No. 5 and Vol. 7 No. 5. However, I have not seen either of these issues so cannot comment further.

Tony

Paul,

There is a photo by you of a similar van, WD47444, at Ludgershall in Vol. 16, No. 1 of the HMRS Journal. The caption refers to “the LNWR designed vans built for the WD in 1917-18â€. It also refers to further information in Vol. 14 No. 5 and Vol. 7 No. 5. However, I have not seen either of these issues so cannot comment further.

Tony

Tony

Thanks for the reminder. Vol 7 pt 5 is about LSWR banana vans sold to the WD in 1915 and bought back in 1921. Includes a nice drawing. Vol 14 in part 3 has a photograph of one of the LNWR design vans ex Gosport, followed by discussion in the letters pages in parts 4 and 5. Buffer guides and axleboxes distinguish whether diag 88 vans were originally LNWR or manufactured by Gloucester or other private companies for the WD.

Paul Bartlett

Thank you to everyone who responded. I was directed elsewhere to this document which is a Beamish stock list. That LNWR wagon looks a definite candidate for a slight bash - can you get the WD transfers anywhere?

To wrap this up here are the last of my photos from the day

The transship van usually lives in the goods shed, but (I assume) the Y7's in there at the moment. There was certainly a pile of coal outside as if they'd been coaling it off the goods dock.

tranship_zps330ec7aa.jpg

This flat has seen better days.

flat_zps03500212.jpg

Mrs. W was very taken with the crane as well.

crane2_zpsf69afb2f.jpg

crane1_zpse4a0e01d.jpg

crane3_zpsb18c5117.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

Another photo of an Admiralty gunpowder van can be found in 'Industrial Wagons an introduction' (IRS). This one is in preservation at Shackerstone and came from the RNAD at Bedenham.

Wasn't the RNAD at Gosport known as 'Bedenham'? I recollect that the working from Eastleigh along the remains of the Gosport branch used to be nicknamed 'The Bedenham Bomber' even into the latter days of Speedlink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

For the record, the two small RNAD vans from Gosport Nos 9 and 18 are now in North East Scotland. No 18 is at Maud Railway Museum and No 9 is at Peterhead Prison Museum. The connection is the ownership of the Admirlty which had a railway from the harbour and prison to a quarry at Stirlinghill. see friendsofmaud.org.uk

Des

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, desbrine said:

For the record, the two small RNAD vans from Gosport Nos 9 and 18 are now in North East Scotland. No 18 is at Maud Railway Museum and No 9 is at Peterhead Prison Museum. The connection is the ownership of the Admirlty which had a railway from the harbour and prison to a quarry at Stirlinghill. see friendsofmaud.org.uk

Des

To see more about the Peterhead Prison Railway and the restoration of some of its rolling stock, you can go to  http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album/959146  . ipernity is an independent photo-sharing site, owned by its members. There are a number of railway groups, with some excellent photographers in them. The member sharing these albums works for Stangate Restoration and Replicas and documents the work they do photographically.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of railway rolling stock in naval establishments these are snaps of ones seen in Portsmouth and Chatham Historic Dockyards within the past 20 years. There is quite a range of eras represented. Chatham had some useable track but the Portsmouth stock was parked on a short stretch of inset track, when these photos were taken.

No 6 Slip Cover Chatham c1988.jpg

PHD railway rolling stock 22 8 2012.jpg

QF gun on well wagon CHD 25 8 2006.jpg

Rail mounted steam cranes CHD 25 8 2006.jpg

Rolling stock 1 25 8 2006.jpg

Rolling stock 2 25 8 2006.jpg

Rolling stock 3 25 8 2006.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I did the sensible thing and looked it up in the Railway Heritage Wagon Register: http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7111

Built by Charles Roberts in 1896, as far as I can make out for the Dockyard directly, rather than it being a second-hand vehicle. The Admiralty must have been splashing out on wagons in that year, as Montague's Gloucester book has photos of a couple dated March 1896: a covered goods wagon of similar dimensions, but with more Midland-style framing either side of the doors, with diagonals in a V, but rather more LCDR / H&B doors, with a horizontal mid-way up; also a 3-plank dropside wagon. The livery of these is quite attractive: grey with black ironwork and ROYAL DOCKYARD CHATHAM in full, white shaded black.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The Military were quite happy to swap 'boxes and other bits between vehicles under overhaul ........ as were the Railways - though the latter's spares were far more likely to be from the same source as the originals.

A set of Stapleford axleboxes might have been swapped in for a set of Chas Roberts. Though having looked at photos of both sides of the wagon I see no sign of a Chas Roberts builders plate so I'm wondering on what the RHWR identification rests. 

Are Royal Dockyard vehicles covered in John Arkell's book?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

( Shame this question didn't  crop up last week - I could have quizzed him further on Thursday.)

He has been seen on here but I can't remember his nom-de-web.

I imagine one of his Gloucester drop-sides is the same photo as the one in Montague - No. 7?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1