Loch Dore

sharkman

I thought it was time for an update to layout happening's allthough in this case not much! Signalling the layout has been very easy because of its uncomplicated nature but I thought it would be good if we could include some ground position light signals. So using the excellent CR Signals range I have included 3 x 3 position light signals 2 x red/white and 1 yellow white. We're using the white/yellow version for exit from loop to mainline, one red/white being used for exit from Distillery siding and the second for an exit across the platform crossover to gain access to the refuelling depot. Although tiny face on are extremely bright!

All signals are automatic and work with the points. As the switches on my point motors already had their switch option wired into change point polarity I could'nt make use off these to operate the signals so I had no option to use seperate motors again with switches to operate the position lights. I simply "chopped" the long wire of that operates the point and basically used the motor as a relay switch. Wiring in was a bit fiddly as everything had already been wired up but once done has proved worth it. In two cases the CDU has to "bang over" 3 point motors but has shown no problems.

The following photos should make things a bit clearer.

DSCF2347.jpg

Yellow/white version for exit from platform loop.

DSCF2348.jpg

Distillery siding

DSCF2349.jpg

Platform crossover.

DSCF2350.jpg

Class 26 shuffles over crossover and exits platform loop.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Having just done our second and finale show this year at Sudbury, Suffolk I thought it was about time to do an update to the latest happening's on Loch Dore.

First heres a couple of shots I took at Sudbury, a really nice little show run by an excellent club who seem to look after well their visitors particularly at lunch time!

Sudbury Show

Sudbury Show

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And then after the show it was a case of ripping up the point work in the platform throat to alleviate the problem of body "swipe" when moving a loco round its coaches in platform 2!

As the photos show it was just a case of moving the point around but it also offered the opportunity to include an easier access "loco pilot" for loco storage.

The first shot the careful removal of the necessary track work including point.

mod2.jpg

And next the point work in place and I managed to refit the left hand point safely.

mod1.jpg

This has lengthened the front loop to allow a loco round its coaches safely without "swiping" the coach sides!

I've also included a shot of the super power we now have operating it. As we had lots of problems operating two NCE Powercab handsets on its 2 amp supply I decided to purchase their SB3a Smart Booster and sourced a suitable 5 amp transformer of that well known auction company and "hey presto" problems gone. We can now easily have two operators and indeed more!

super_power.jpg

Please say HELLO if your going to be coming to the St Neots show it should be worth it!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello Ian,

I am currently re-building my Scottish based layout set in the Early eighties and I am hoping to include a whiskey distillery and was wondering if your distillery model is home made one or a resin model?

If it is the later could you let me know who manufactures them.

Regards

Simon.

Phillip Island

AUSTRALIA.

• 1 year later...

Now sold and residing in a roof space in Wolverhampton but rumour has it that it's new owner could have a show for it in that area!

Replacement for above is a permanent tailchaser in workshop which has been built but waiting scenery and some track modifications.

Also a  small 00 exhibitable modern image depot layout is being built by a member of our group.

Edited by sharkman
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...