Bicolour 12v panel mounted red/green LED

Dale

Hi folks,

Can any one point me to a supplier of 12v panel mounted bicolour red/green LED’s. I know Bromsgrove have LED’s but I am after the panel mounting too. The only ones I have found have been from Farnell (http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1163203&CMP=e-2072-00001000) which need to come in from the US and thus come with a nasty #15 delivery charge. I have already had a sniff round Maplin, RS and CPC with out finding what I a looking for.

Cheers,

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Ready assembled 12v bi-colour LEDs aren't common in the UK (as in the Farnell link), but at £5.46 each plus P&P, there are a lot cheaper ways of getting what you want.

Squires for example list the chrome mountings for 90p each, the black plastic for 7.5p. Bi - colour LEDs are 50p, tri-colour (common cathode) are also 50p. You'll need a resistor in series (7p each) to handle twelve volts with these LEDs. Total cost £1.47 for the chrome mounting, 64.5p for the black plastic mounting. http://www.squirestools.com/11-900.pdf

You can get this 24V one from Rapid:-

24V Tricolour LED in bezel

It runs at 20mA on 24V, so will run at 10mA at 12V which I would expect will give a reasonable brightness.

At the price of the Farnell ones I wouldn't baulk too much at the delivery cost, especially if you need a few.

Something I have done in the past is to buy a cheap red one which contains just a simple 3mm LED and replace the LED with a tricolour one which will probably save you a few pounds.

Ready assembled 12v bi-colour LEDs aren't common in the UK (as in the Farnell link), but at £5.46 each plus P&P, there are a lot cheaper ways of getting what you want.

Squires for example list the chrome mountings for 90p each, the black plastic for 7.5p. Bi - colour LEDs are 50p, tri-colour (common cathode) are also 50p. You'll need a resistor in series (7p each) to handle twelve volts with these LEDs. Total cost £1.47 for the chrome mounting, 64.5p for the black plastic mounting. http://www.squirestools.com/11-900.pdf

Squires would be (almost) the last place I went to for this kind of thing. A quick comparison on a few items between Rapid and Squires show a typical price difference of 50% in favour of Rapid. I know they have to add their mark-up as a retailer, but 100% or more? Even taking VAT into account it leaves a large difference. The only real benefit is the lower quantities Squires offer, but even they have a £10 minimum order.

Not sure where the 7p resistor came from, even Squires 'only' charge 4p each (40p for 10) for quarter watts. Compare with Rapid at 50p per 100 (60p inc VAT = 0.6p each) for the same thing. Taking this example further, for £1.20 you could have 30 resistors from Squires or 200 resistors from Rapid.

With these kind of price differentials it only takes a few items to make up the difference in the delivery charges.

I have ordered some bezels and LED's from Micro Miniatures so we will see how that goes. Now all i have to do is figure out how to wire them... I suspect it will be power from the power bus as Brian illustrated but its the actual opertaion of bicolour LED's that has me in my current pickly. The two colour LED's, are they bi polar and if so, any suggestions on how to reverse the polarity to initiate a change in colour when routing changes?

What I am after is one LED mounted on the track mimic on each track from the point which goes green when points are aligned in its favour and red when they are not. So the toe will lways be green but the two forks will always be red/green or green/red depending on which way the poits are thrown.

Dale.

• RMweb Premium

Taking this example further, for £1.20 you could have 30 resistors from Squires or 200 resistors from Rapid.

Which is great if you need 200 resistors :D

I mentioned Squires because I have found them reliable, easy to contact and have a £10 min order for free P&P. They also attend a number of shows.

Archived