Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

A well-known Phoenix phenomenon.  I've had Cambrian Carriage green that was actually brown, Midland freight light grey that was probably Midland "Smudge" dark grey, GWR freight grey that was one step short of black and have heard of BR carriage maroon that could pass for CIE carriage orange!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, but compressor has a tank and was at 60psi. I don't think the problem is with the air supply, but with the trigger mechanism.

I think Geoff is referring to the amount of air (CFM) rather than the pressure.

(Apologies to Paul for taking this off topic)

Thanks, but compressor has a tank and was at 60psi. I don't think the problem is with the air supply, but with the trigger mechanism. 

As Mark as already said it is the amount of air that the compressor is producing in a given time known as CFM  Cubic Feet per Minute,

Regards

Geoff

• RMweb Premium

As Mark as already said it is the amount of air that the compressor is producing in a given time known as CFM  Cubic Feet per Minute,

Regards

Geoff

Thanks, but I don't know what to do about that! I have an AS-186 compressor if that's any help.... 

• RMweb Gold

That's the compressor I have, I wouldn't compare the sandblaster with a large 'industrial' one, all it's really doing is making a good surface to paint on, it will remove solder with a bit of persistence.

• RMweb Premium

That's the compressor I have, I wouldn't compare the sandblaster with a large 'industrial' one, all it's really doing is making a good surface to paint on, it will remove solder with a bit of persistence.

Thanks, Paul. I didn't think it was an issue with the compressor.

So your sandblaster works continuously, in the manner of an airbrush? Part of the problem is the instructions are rubbish. What do you do with the screw that goes through the hole in the lid of the "cup"? - as tight as possible? Unscrewed a few threads? Unscrewed completely? I have no idea! 

I suppose I could have a slightly different model as your original link was to Amazon, whom I refuse to use. I took the model number you gave and sourced it elsewhere. 

The precision green actually looks quite good this morning. I'll try to post a photo this evening in natural light if I'm back from work in time. 

Looking at photos via a Google search of Aerolite  the above Green looks too pale. A coat of varnish will darken the colour though, a comparison then would be needed.  The NER Green is nothing like the LNER shade as I am sure you already know !.

Nice model!.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at photos via a Google search of Aerolite  the above Green looks too pale. A coat of varnish will darken the colour though, a comparison then would be needed.  The NER Green is nothing like the LNER shade as I am sure you already know !.

Nice model!.

Thanks, Mick. 

I think you're right about the green, even on the real loco's lighter days:

http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=8094733311&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2F66%252Caerolite%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%3Btextinput%3D66%252Caerolite%3Bphoto_type%3D250%3Bmethod%3DGET%3Bnoform%3Dt%3Bsort%3DInterestingness%23pic8094733311&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/33928144@N07/8094733311

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem?objid=1975-7013

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have you seen this, Mr G? Loads of good dirty hopper action after getting on for a minute and some good detail right at the end.

Durham or Northumberland, but I can't be any more accurate than that.

It's been a while since Jonathan posted this link to the whippet racing with the P1 and hoppers and for a while I've been meaning to have a look around Rail Map Online to see if there was any chance of finding the location, after a few fruitless searches around Co Durham I turned my attention towards Northumberland tonight with the aim of looking around the Ashington/Blyth area and I think I've come up with a contender. It looks like the viaduct may have been rebuilt (due to subsidence?), the one there now looks to be a fairly modern welded steel structure, it does cross a road as well as the river as the one in the film would appear to do. It looks like the race took place somewhere on what is now 'Bedlingtonshire Community High School' looking south west. There are still terraced houses on the other side of the railway.

Any thoughts?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1365353,-1.5620567,705m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Guess where we were on Fri before going to the show on Sat............

post-8779-0-02140400-1459094910_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the flash - it was too dark in the corner where they had it parked.

Also, the left hand return crank on 60103 still has 60038 stamped in it - Firdaussi - cut up Darlington Dec 1963.  All the other rods have had any previous numbers polished out and neatly engraved 4472  60103. But they missed that one!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a break from working on Greyscroft last night and made a little progress on the lining of 1093, the red lines on the tender are almost complete, only two axleboxes to do. Black and white edge lining to finish on this side and that will be it!

post-7104-0-28389900-1461908184_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

It's been a while since Jonathan posted this link to the whippet racing with the P1 and hoppers and for a while I've been meaning to have a look around Rail Map Online to see if there was any chance of finding the location, after a few fruitless searches around Co Durham I turned my attention towards Northumberland tonight with the aim of looking around the Ashington/Blyth area and I think I've come up with a contender. It looks like the viaduct may have been rebuilt (due to subsidence?), the one there now looks to be a fairly modern welded steel structure, it does cross a road as well as the river as the one in the film would appear to do. It looks like the race took place somewhere on what is now 'Bedlingtonshire Community High School' looking south west. There are still terraced houses on the other side of the railway.

Any thoughts?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1365353,-1.5620567,705m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Paul, a valiant effort.

Wish I had a pound for every hour I've spent trying to ID the location of that viaduct Don't think it is the "Black Bridge" at Bedlington as it was never a brick/stone arch viaduct and the topography in the backgound doesn't match. On my screen the arched viaduct appears to run behind the girder bridge. I've been all over the N.E.R area  and still not found a good match. That's if it is in the North East. The second clip that shows the train looks like it has been shot on different filmstock and may not be the same location as the first part of the film.

There's not that many viaducts in the coal mining areas of Northumberland and Durham and I think I've probably ticked them all off and found no match. Every now and again I spent an hour or so looking round the viaducts of the more industrial areas of Yorkshire just o see if I can find any possibles.

P

• RMweb Premium

Serious question Paul (sorry), from the photos you've just posted you can see lots of daylight under the cab behind the rear wheels. In fact you can see through to the tender chassis. Looking at the drawing you posted on pg33, should there be something fireboxy / ashpany in this void? Must be something there to push the rear wheels forward? Obviously I know nowt about the prototype and am happy to be put in my place ;-p

http://www.lner.info/locos/J/ner_1001.php

• RMweb Gold

Serious question Paul (sorry), from the photos you've just posted you can see lots of daylight under the cab behind the rear wheels. In fact you can see through to the tender chassis. Looking at the drawing you posted on pg33, should there be something fireboxy / ashpany in this void? Must be something there to push the rear wheels forward? Obviously I know nowt about the prototype and am happy to be put in my place ;-p

Yes, there is a firebox/ashpan that goes under there, it will be fixed in place when the loco is finished. I've got it here - somewhere...