Convert AC output on controller to DC

The Nth Degree

I have a small DC controller that, along with the variable 14v DC output, has a 14v AC accessory output. The problem is, my points will be 2 wire DC. How can I convert the AC accessory output to DC without an expensive box that costs more than the whole layout? It would be nice if it was self-powered too!

Whoosh!

That was the sound of what you said rushing over my head...

What I have is a Fleischmann MSF-Trafo 6735, rated at 14vDC/.55a at the variable side and 14vAC/.5a at the accessory side. I plan to operate 6 individual/pairs of DC points from the accessory outlet. What (in layman's terms) would I need to buy/get made to sort that out for me? Off the shelf plug and play would be a dream! A link to a product - if there is one available - would also be good.

Thanks for your help, by the way, but bare in mind I have no idea what you or I are talking about!

Steve

I plan to operate 6 individual/pairs of DC points from the accessory outlet.

Help us by what you mean by "DC points" ?

Do you mean that the layout is DC and you don't have point motors yet.

Do you mean that the layout is DC and you are trying to control solenoid point motors but without a CDU.

Do you have that the layout is DC and you are trying to power a CDU from auxillary AC.

Or do you have something like Tortoise motors that work just fine with aux AC (but still require a diode - but not a rectifier).

Or something else.

I think this falls into the 'something else' category.

I have Tomix track (or will do shortly) and they have built-in 12v DC point motors with 2 wires. This is one I found just now (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10046033).

The problem is they are DC and my accessory port is AC. So, how do I convert the AC accessory port to DC to operate the point switches? The accessory port on Tomix controllers are 12v@1a. I assume 14v@.5a accessory supply on the Fleischmann would be fine?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

A simple fix for this problem is to buy KATO electric point levers and a KATO rectifier ( The refer to them as convertors) many are availabkle via Ebay shps I will have a look and get you some catnumbers

EDIT:_

Point switches 24 -840 around £5.

Convertor 24 -842 £4.50

The point levers can be banked together to form a nice single unit and you only require 1 convertor, look at Ebay there are several Buy it now items offered (NEW STOCK)

• RMweb Gold

Halfway down this page there are instructions on how to use a Peco passing contact switch to operate Tomix point motors. It does explain how to wire a couple of diodes together to convert the AC output into something appropriate for your motors. The Tomix motors although requiring DC are not stall motors like Tortoise.

Thanks Tony. I note on that page they mention that the Peco PL26 switches are a lot cheaper than the Tomix/Kato switches but that is not the case - they seem to be the same or slightly more expensive. I'll stick with the Tomix/Kato option, but thanks for looking!

Steve

A wise decision saves you messing about with diodes etc AND the Kato product is a lot neater!

Archived