Ringfield magnet update.

beeman

I have now received and fitted a new Neo replacement magnet to the Hornby Princess ringfield motor which seemed to be powerless and slow.. This had been fitted with a 5 pole armature which needed the bearings replacing . Current in the motor supply lead from the Bachman 36-554 chip prior to the change was between 300-400mA. 400 being stall current. The new Neo magnet is a little small being 27x23x6 as against the original size Hornby fitted of 28x22x8. This loco had one of the gastly 'rubber' magnets. Some ringfield motor casings have a 'register' which corresponds to a semi circular notch in the orig. magnets so as to position correctly'. It is necessary to identify the position of the poles on the Neo. ring by using another magnet. Mark and make sure the N & S are at 90' to the brushes. The difference in the dia. of the magnet was made up by cutting a strip of tin from a can and wrapping around the O/D of the magnet to give a snug fit. If it is felt necessary a couple of spots of adhesive or paint can be put on to secure, when satisfied with the position. The extra difference of the I/D gap is neglible due to the much higher magnet strength. I did find initiallyl it did not run as free as expected, and found to be due to the magnets thinner width was not vertically central in the housing and that the armature was being pulled to one side causing drag. After correcting the attraction of the magnet felt very different and free. the poles of the armature when rotated by hand very noticeable. After fitting well satisfied with the locos performance. The motor current on the same DCC settings was in the range 200-400 mA.I have cv2 set at 6, and cv5 at 10. this give a top speed at something like 60/70 mph. My 'yardstick' and satisfaction being that it will crawl around at the second bar 2/28 on the Dynamis speed display , which equates to about 1 rev of the loco drivers in 2 secs. with much extra weight in the tender and 5 Mainline 57' in tow. An exercise that I am well pleased with. The magnet I used can be obtained from My link and may be easier to fit than having to remove the locating rib if a dead fit size is obtained. Beeman

ATTACHMENTS

beeman

Archived