SATLINK, (S&T) OBA, ZDA wagons

Hello

I was wondering if any one could help with what type of loads the SATLINK (Signal & Telecommunications (S&T)) OBA and ZDA wagons carried please.

I had a look on the old web site and found the topic on the SATLINK GUV's which was very useful.

Thank You

Anthony

Anthony,

In my time they were used mostly for carrying trough sections, but also included pallets of bricks, pallets of cement sacks, prefab sections for relay cabinet bases, relay cabinets, ducting, pipes(orange & Black), and even scapped cut sections of cables. In other words all the materials for re-signalling an area (Kent in my case).

See pics below.

Cheers.

post-1373-0-96223500-1297885343_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-11523600-1297885366_thumb.jpg

These are great photos Paul. You don't happen to have any more like these in your archives by chance?

I never realised that it was lights that were strung the length of the wagon (visible in Paul's photos). I never knew what those 'ropes' were for, but strangely didn't consider lighting  :lol:

So how were they powered? I can't see any jumper sockets on the ends of the wagons (a la stingray sets) and indeed it looks as if they are hard wired throughout so perhaps they were coupled in permanent sets?

From Paul's fotopic site I can see them marshalled with other wagons (see here and here) but none that look like generator vans (I'm expecting to see a ZDA van) so did one of the OBAs in the rake carry a small generator?

If anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated.

Rob

Yes, the red was fading, will check when they first arrived in Kent.

Some rakes had hard wired strings of 110v lights, others had flood lights on conduit risers with junction boxes and plug & socket jumpers on the ends of the wagons.

The generators were housed in brake vans, mostly SR 25t painted in Satlink (at least 3) or Dutch (2) plus one BR brake in Dutch. These were situated in the centre of the rakes due to only being piped, and doubled up as staff vehicles. Can't check your links as I am at work.

I will sort out some more pics tommorrow. Yes I have more, that footbridge was very useful for photting the inside of wagons, plus the formation of trains.

Cheers.

Hello Paul

Thank you very much, very helpful, the pictures are great.

I will start having a look for items to put in them.

Would they carry old sections of signals, semaphore that have been removed to make way for coloured signals.

Many Thanks

Ants

Thanks Paul - i've never understood why the OBAs seemed to fade quickly and other wagons much less so - I guess a paint variation at wherever they were painted!

T'other Paul - me - disagrees. The OCAs faded remarkably quickly! It would be expected that paint technology had advanced considerably by the time OBA and OCA were being produced, but it doesn't seem to have worked!

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul, was meaning in terms of these Satlink repaints, but I agree with you on the originals, the red on the steel bodied wagons seems to have changed a lot whilst the wooden retained their Railfreight colours well.

See the second of Paul (Wade's!) most recent pics there is a nice red new one and the one coupled behind it is already half way to being a well washed out pink!

The red did fade very badly. They were painted at more than one location, there being at least three livery versions. The last pic with the red solebars was a small batch where the red lasted better.

Cheers.

Paul

Thanks, I never saw any of these in this livery. I think you mean red curb rail, not solebar. Flipping quickly through my OBAs it looks like it was normal for the curbrail to be body colour until Mainline and EWS liveries were introduced. It is unusual for any wagon to have the curbrail painted as the frame - probably dating from the time when frames were almost invariably black laquer because this was good as a protective for steel work.

Paul Bartlett

Paul

Thanks, I never saw any of these in this livery. I think you mean red curb rail, not solebar. Flipping quickly through my OBAs it looks like it was normal for the curbrail to be body colour until Mainline and EWS liveries were introduced. It is unusual for any wagon to have the curbrail painted as the frame - probably dating from the time when frames were almost invariably black laquer because this was good as a protective for steel work.

Paul Bartlett

Very different didnt even notice the Curbrail until it was pointed out. Was it some one at a depot getting happy with the paint brush or a depot making their mark on the wagons, like Strafford did with loco's

Ant

Very different didnt even notice the Curbrail until it was pointed out. Was it some one at a depot getting happy with the paint brush or a depot making their mark on the wagons, like Strafford did with loco's

Ant

As mentioned this appears to reflect a more general change as Mainline and EWS OBAs had black curb rails.

Paul Bartlett

The generators were housed in brake vans, mostly SR 25t painted in Satlink (at least 3) or Dutch (2) plus one BR brake in Dutch. These were situated in the centre of the rakes due to only being piped, and doubled up as staff vehicles.

Awesome pics, thanks for posting them :)

I don't suppose you have any shots of the SR brake vans in that livery ?

Can anyone confirm when this livery first appeared? I model up to 1986 and wondered if it was around then - don't recall ever seeing it in the flesh though (grew up in Yorkshire).

cheers

Chris

I could be corrected, but I think 1989...

the first pictures I have of stock in that colour scheme dates to then, and what I did photograph then was very new & shiny.

bob

Here is one http://gallery6801.f.../p17057077.html There are possibly more around on my site. I think this one has been a RTR model.

Paul bartlett

Hello Paul

Yes I think Hornby and Bachmann did one each. I have been looking around 'Great Photos'.

Can you remember when in the 80's you first saw the Satlink/S&T livery?

Thanks Ants

Archived