Looking very good Phil, Have you built the fiddle yard underneath yet? 

Graham.

Hi Graham

Not yet - it should be relatively easy to do compared to recent activities - it should just fit onto the framework for the current boards, although I might need to remove / move some of the current bracing to fit it in.

The layout of the fiddle yard is under review. As the exit from the sidings area connect to the down line, which would then end up at the back of the fiddle yard, Ian and I were discussing the possibility of adding a crossover so that they would end up towards the front allowing easier access without reaching over other lines. I can't quite visualize it all yet, so will at least build the boards and then do some 3d planning with track, which is how I work best.

Cheers

Phil

Phil

• Like 2

I´ve been watching some of your videos just lately. You have a nice spacious track plan. I´m enjoying the helix build too.

Some lovely stock aswell, especially the Railfreight era stuff.

Keep up the good work.

Andy

Thanks Scott and Peter about the wiring - I had pretty much been in that camp regarding what you can't see, you don't need to worry about, especially once my wife had made those magic black curtains to hide it all.

However all of the hanging down wires will need to be tidied up a bit so that they don't foul the fiddle yard underneath - I was thinking I could just tuck them up out of the way.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading this thread about the IKAs and the fact they really were originally that strange turquoise colour before they got dirty..

http://www.rmweb.co....and-containers/

Another thing on my list of jobs to do.

Hi Phil,

Just catching up on this thread - nice work.

Although here's a bit more work for your IKA's before you dirty them!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16410-Dapol-oo-ika-megafret-intermodal-flats-and-containers/page-2&do=findComment&comment=280646

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Just catching up on this thread - nice work.

Although here's a bit more work for your IKA's before you dirty them!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16410-Dapol-oo-ika-megafret-intermodal-flats-and-containers/page-2&do=findComment&comment=280646

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick - you certainly know how to motivate someone :O - seriously though, I'm looking forwards to doing that kind of thing once I've completed my woodworking homework.

Phil

• Like 2

Evening All

A bit more progress tonight - the helix has been connected up to the bottom baseboard - there is still a little section to be added, but you know me, I like to live dangerously.

post-10336-0-78596400-1361137330_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-36144800-1361137369_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-88045900-1361137412_thumb.jpg

I've had to cut away some of the framework from the top board to get the final radius in, and I might need to take a bit more off once I've checked it for clearance with various rolling stock - I just need to do the final 1/4 turn to connect to the top and I'll be back to playing trains for a bit I think.

The bad news is that I've managed to cut a 3" gash in my back from the bottom of one of the threaded rods as I was climbing underneath to connect it all - ouch. I must work out something to put on them - ah yes wine corks - I better crack open a bottle then.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've had to cut away some of the framework from the top board to get the final radius in, and I might need to take a bit more off once I've checked it for clearance with various rolling stock

You decided against having the helix in the corner out of the way then?

Good progress today then, was it seeing us playing trains yesterday that spurred you on?

Edited by Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian It is actually right in the corner where we put it when you were here, but there is still a little bit that has to fit underneath the top board. I'll take some high level shots tomorrow to show it. Phil

I've looked at the pics a bit closer and I can see it now, that top board is the extra bit that you've added since last week.

Have you stopped bleeding yet? Day off with 'back trouble' tomorrow to get a bit more done perhaps? ;)

• Like 1

Hey Phil that looks good, I was expecting to see a "Look what I bought at Warminster" entry but no you've actually done more with the HELIX and what a good job you've done too. The only issue I see with it, is that the poor giraffe will have to keep his head down if he ventures out on one of the speedlink workings!

Sorry to hear about your nasty gash. I knew someone years ago with something similar. never saw her again.

Cheers

Scott  

• Like 2

Hey Phil that looks good, I was expecting to see a "Look what I bought at Warminster" entry but no you've actually done more with the HELIX and what a good job you've done too.

Sounds like I'm getting a bit of a reputation, however with others in tow, I couldn't exactly splash out on anything.