Any celebrities coming over to inspect the layout?

Apparently so - a couple of my 'page 30 modeller' friends plus another mysery guest from North Dorset, who's recently moved over to the dark side of N gauge - perhaps I'll let him play with Beresford North - now whatever happened to that?

I might even get some mince pies in.

Phil

• Like 4

Made some good progress over the weekend

- re-fitted the backboards all round and painted

- decided they were a bit skinny (about 9"), so painted the wall behind blue too

- tidied up generally

- re-fitted the curtains to hide all of the rubbish

- finished the final bit of track laying in the yard area

- laid out the track on the second return board

- started to fit electrical drops to the sidings

Now for a bit of advice please...

I need to make some holes underneath the points to fit the motors. Previously, I ended up marking where the hole was going to be (roughly), drilling an over-sized hole then sticking down the points, with a big hole which wasn't ideal.

Is there an easier way to mark them out / cover up over-sized the hole afterwards?

Phil

I need to make some holes underneath the points to fit the motors. Previously, I ended up marking where the hole was going to be (roughly), drilling an over-sized hole then sticking down the points, with a big hole which wasn't ideal.

Is there an easier way to mark them out / cover up over-sized the hole afterwards?

I use a small peice of card between the motor and the point to cover the hole - it's not subtle but it's worked for all 13 of my Peco PL-10 motors:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57099-blockwall-junction/page__st__25#entry817207

it might be of some use to you - just make sure you cut the card to the correct size, I now have a gap on one set of points where I mis-judged it!

I use a small peice of card between the motor and the point to cover the hole - it's not subtle but it's worked for all 13 of my Peco PL-10 motors:

http://www.rmweb.co...._25#entry817207

it might be of some use to you - just make sure you cut the card to the correct size, I now have a gap on one set of points where I mis-judged it!

Thanks - I had seen your layout and thought of that as an option, but what when it gets wet when you do the ballasting - perhaps I could use thin plastic.

I've been sharing your thread with the guys here at the office, who are all Pi users, and they're very impressed.

Phil

Thanks - I had seen your layout and thought of that as an option, but what when it gets wet when you do the ballasting - perhaps I could use thin plastic.

I've been sharing your thread with the guys here at the office, who are all Pi users, and they're very impressed.

Phil

I'm using a thick card (200gsm) which so far has (in testing at least!) stood up to being pelted with Plastikote Stone spray paint, I think it should cope with a bit of PVA/Water, but then again I guess it depends on what you're using to stick the ballast down.

I'm glad the guys in the office like the Pi stuff, I'm waiting on MERG to restock their point motor controllers and hopefully by Christmas I'll be controlling the points via the Pi as well.

Matt

HI Phil

I have used mostly thin plastic in the same way as above as well as same size card

and have found them both to be ok accepting Pva glue and ballast also wet paint

The advantage of using this method lies when you may need to either replace the point

or relay the track

David

Wexford

Thanks for the suggestions over the card/plastic - I'll give it a go. Long day at work today so no progress, apart from to get a panoramic shot of the new backscene and curtains - enjoy!

post-10336-0-26974600-1354572525_thumb.jpg

I've done a bit of patching of the plaster - still drying and so unpainted. One of the pizza ovens has been covered up - the other one still waiting to be done.

Also as you see only 1/6th of a helix at the left hand end. Priority is to do the track and ballasting, which can then be drying while I do that.

Phil

• Like 2

A special pic for Swifty11, who spotted a tail lamp on one of my wagons, that must have been put on by someone else before I got it second-hand.

Can anyone identify where it's from? I know Bachmann do them as do Springside, but don't think it's either of them - anyone?

post-10336-0-99330800-1354641476_thumb.jpg

And this was the video it was spotted in.

http://youtu.be/Rupn8W3m2j4

The shunter 08 585 is going to have to go into the workshop due to problematic running - I think it just needs a good clean.

Phil

• Like 4

A special pic for Swifty11, who spotted a tail lamp on one of my wagons, that must have been put on by someone else before I got it second-hand.

Can anyone identify where it's from? I know Bachmann do them as do Springside, but don't think it's either of them - anyone?

post-10336-0-99330800-1354641476_thumb.jpg

Phil

Hi Phil

They look very similar to the Lamps that I have on some of my rolling stock and I had them so they flash, try searching for ‘Springside Guards Tail Van Lamps’ with the words Black or White at the end as they do them in Black and White as well as Front and Rear although you normally get a mix of each, inside each pack. You will notice there are several designs BR, LMS, LNER, SR and GWR depending on the style of Lamp required and the era you are running, I ended up with a couple of each packs that I thought were the nearest and that would suit my needs but for Modern Image which is what I run, I bought the ‘Springside DA99/5 BR Modern Image Tail Lamps White’ the DA99/5 or DA99/10 (Quantity in each pack is 5 or 10)

Below is some Codes or Reference Nos. that you can search for and there may be a few more that was just a quick scan for some in answer to the question.

Springside SPDA6/10 Guards Van Tail Lamps Black

Springside DA1/5 GWR Head & Tail Lamps 4mm White

Springside DA1 - OO Scale GWR Head& Tail Lamps White (10)

Springside SPDA1/5 GWR Head & Tail Lamps White

Springside SPDA5/5 LNER Head& Tail Lamps White New

Springside SPDA19/5 BR Head& Tail Lamps White New Detailing Spares

Springside SPDA20/5SR SR TAIL Lamps White

Springside SPDA3/10 SR Head& Tail Lamps White New

Springside SPDA20/5 LMS Tail Lamps LMS White x5 New Detailing Spares

Springside SPDA4A/10 LMS Head & Tail Lamps Black x10 New

Springside DA4B - OO Scale LMS Head& Tail Lamps Maroon (5)

They also do them for ‘N’ Gauge to just in case its those you are wanting...

I was going to ask does it flash, as I wanted to know or interested how and where you hide the Battery or do you run them straight from pickups adapted on the Wagon, and with it being low and flat whether you hid it inside the Container instead which is normaly the case, but then you always need that Container on as a load, but not to worry if it doesn’t flash.

Top Tip

Just in case you or anyone else decide to get them to Flash in the future, some of mine flash at 1MHz being Slower Flashing Light and 2MHz being Faster Flashing Light and the more Modern looking which is what I ended up with on most of mine (2MHz) as that seemed to be better looking when in the distance on the layout... I'm sure if I remember right there is a YouTube Clip which shows you both, so to get an idear of the flashing times on each MHz...

Hope that helps you dude or anyone else...

Jamie

• Like 3

Hi Phil

They look very similar to the Lamps that I have on some of my rolling stock and I had them so they flash, try searching for ‘Springside Guards Tail Van Lamps’ with the words Black or White at the end as they do them in Black and White as well as Front and Rear although you normally get a mix of each, inside each pack. You will notice there are several designs BR, LMS, LNER, SR and GWR depending on the style of Lamp required and the era you are running, I ended up with a couple of each packs that I thought were the nearest and that would suit my needs but for Modern Image which is what I run, I bought the ‘Springside DA99/5 BR Modern Image Tail Lamps White’ the DA99/5 or DA99/10 (Quantity in each pack is 5 or 10)

Below is some Codes or Reference Nos. that you can search for and there may be a few more that was just a quick scan for some in answer to the question.

Springside SPDA6/10 Guards Van Tail Lamps Black

Springside DA1/5 GWR Head & Tail Lamps 4mm White

Springside DA1 - OO Scale GWR Head& Tail Lamps White (10)

Springside SPDA1/5 GWR Head & Tail Lamps White

Springside SPDA5/5 LNER Head& Tail Lamps White New

Springside SPDA19/5 BR Head& Tail Lamps White New Detailing Spares

Springside SPDA20/5SR SR TAIL Lamps White

Springside SPDA3/10 SR Head& Tail Lamps White New

Springside SPDA20/5 LMS Tail Lamps LMS White x5 New Detailing Spares

Springside SPDA4A/10 LMS Head & Tail Lamps Black x10 New

Springside DA4B - OO Scale LMS Head& Tail Lamps Maroon (5)

They also do them for ‘N’ Gauge to just in case its those you are wanting...

I was going to ask does it flash, as I wanted to know or interested how and where you hide the Battery or do you run them straight from pickups adapted on the Wagon, and with it being low and flat whether you hid it inside the Container instead which is normaly the case, but then you always need that Container on as a load, but not to worry if it doesn’t flash.

Top Tip

Just in case you or anyone else decide to get them to Flash in the future, some of mine flash at 1MHz being Slower Flashing Light and 2MHz being Faster Flashing Light and the more Modern looking which is what I ended up with on most of mine (2MHz) as that seemed to be better looking when in the distance on the layout... I'm sure if I remember right there is a YouTube Clip which shows you both, so to get an idear of the flashing times on each MHz...

Hope that helps you dude or anyone else...

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply - having taken a closer look, I think you're right, and they are probably the Springside DA99/5 BR Modern Image Tail Lamps White ones.

I'd not thought of moving into flashing one yet, although I have seen one at Redbrook Maritime and it looks great, not so good that I'll be taking up Artizen's offer!

Phil

• Like 3

Phew. Lots of ballasting this weekend...

post-10336-0-96176200-1355092079_thumb.jpg

I know it doesn't look much, but I'm trying to keep it neat so that the area at the front can be 'laid' with concrete for the lorries to use for loading / unloading.

Lots still to do. Let's hope it is ready for Friday - de-humidifier on full blast!

I ran out of ballast chippings on Sat so had to make a trip to the local model shop, and as usual I came out with more than I planned - picked up some scrap wagons.

post-10336-0-04105700-1355092086_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 7

I ran out of ballast chippings on Sat so had to make a trip to the local model shop, and as usual I came out with more than I planned - picked up some scrap wagons.

post-10336-0-04105700-1355092086_thumb.jpg

Phil

funny that, I always end up doing the same.

just had to fight the urge to go into Gaugemasters as i was driving between Littlehampton and Bognor, not sure I will be able to resist all week though ! :locomotive:

• Like 1

I'm really sorry that we didn't make it Phil, especially as you have done so much and to a time schedule..

Its transformed it with the ballast and the hard standing, I hope we can get to inspect it soon.

It was good to catch up today too..

Cheers Scott

I'm really sorry that we didn't make it Phil, especially as you have done so much and to a time schedule..

Its transformed it with the ballast and the hard standing, I hope we can get to inspect it soon.

Thanks Scott, and hopefully after a bit, sorry lot, of track cleaning, the trains might actually run reliably when you come to inspect.

All I need is another bit of pressure to get on with the helices.

Phil