from a train drivers point of view with regards the ballest. its good but its far to neat and clean. when i start constructon i intend on doing a ballest run like the real thing. to practice and i hope to include everything on there.

Thanks and you're right - all too clean at the moment.

I intend to 'dirty it all up a bit', although I'm going to try out on some spare track first. I also need to add the weeds and the odd bit of rubbish/ detritus.

Cheers

Phil

if it doesn't foul trains you need spare rails in the fourfoot. and rust stains where old rails have previously laid in the four foot. on top of that patches of clean ballest which has been dropped to top up odd bits.

Another container built - a 40' Hamburg SUD (now where is that umlaut key) this time.

post-10336-0-73200200-1308512426_thumb.jpg

Also some more shots of the station - with the bins removed.

post-10336-0-76279300-1308512433_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-68331100-1308512438_thumb.jpg

I've also trimmed some old Hornby buffers and installed - still need a bit of painting, and perhaps a little red LED?

post-10336-0-07195500-1308512449_thumb.jpg

The ballast still not 100% dry, but once it is, I'll be trying out some of robrailtd's recommendations.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

lol. if i get a moment tomorrow i will take some photos. or if i have a nice guard get them to take some photos.

buffer stops would require a red light. most are also painted red these days. not all but most.

Looks very good.

One thing you may want to consider is some form of shelter over the platforms. They are very long and passengers would appreciate a bit of cover from the typically erratic British weather :)

Finally, your Scalescene containers have convinced me. Time I bought some in N gauge!

Looks very good.

One thing you may want to consider is some form of shelter over the platforms. They are very long and passengers would appreciate a bit of cover from the typically erratic British weather :)

Finally, your Scalescene containers have convinced me. Time I bought some in N gauge!

Yes the containers are v. good - there are about ten 20' and ten 40'. Stacked 3 high they'll make a great divide between what I'm working on next, but I've just worked out I need to make about 50 of them!

Just make sure you don't scale the output of the pdf when you print.

You're also right about the shelters - I saw/read somewhere about making bus shelter style ones from CD cases - perhaps when I've finished the containers

Been planning next steps tonight, but must finish this section first - all the fiddly bits to finish off.

Phil

As part of my research into buffers and track detritus, I went on a little adventure yesterday, and here are the results.

I got some strange looks taking pictures of the track...

This is the end of the main line at Alton, Hampshire - beyond the gate is the Watercress Line.

post-10336-0-05329800-1308901760_thumb.jpg

Not much on the track apart from dirt, and a couple of buckets.

post-10336-0-12903400-1308901789_thumb.jpg

At the right hand side is a steam engine on the Watercress Line

post-10336-0-21647300-1308901815_thumb.jpg

which had just arrived pulling a special of these green coaches.

post-10336-0-50790100-1308901837_thumb.jpg

SW Trains are on platform 1 and 2, with The Watercress Line on 3 and 4.

Phil

• Like 2

if it doesn't foul trains you need spare rails in the fourfoot. and rust stains where old rails have previously laid in the four foot. on top of that patches of clean ballest which has been dropped to top up odd bits.

Although it does happen, it's not best practice to leave stuff in the four foot. Long rails for renewals is fine as it's awkward to get them back out of the cess where's there the risk they could topple over, etc, I think but leaving short lengths isn't a good idea. Short lengths would normally be placed in the cess.

Although it does happen, it's not best practice to leave stuff in the four foot. Long rails for renewals is fine as it's awkward to get them back out of the cess where's there the risk they could topple over, etc, I think but leaving short lengths isn't a good idea. Short lengths would normally be placed in the cess.

Thanks for the insight James. It got me to start reading this - http://www.deathbyhe...efinitions.html - "When is a cess not a cess?"

Even though Alton was pretty clean and tidy, it appeared the closer I got to London Waterloo, the more 'stuff' there was all over the place.

You'll find that the busier a place is the tighter it is for engineering work and what often suffers when time is tight is tidiness. The important thing is to leave a worksite safe for the passage of trains. If that's fulfilled then, in many ways, it's fine. But you may have your SQE officer at you if it's a mess! :lol:

Of course items are left if they'll be needed for future works, this is quite acceptabl;e as it saves time having to move materials from an access point to the worksite. You sometimes will have a possession purely for moving materials - for example a Thursday night to move things in readiness for a Saturday night when the possession time might be longer and you want to maximise activity then.

• Like 1

james i speak as i find being a driver. PWAY leave alot of rubbish lying around. whether they should or not. just about to upload a few photos of my own to flickr which i will link to asap.

i'll second that

my all time favourite is rail or piles of sleeper on the trough route

lazy p way :(

james i speak as i find being a driver. PWAY leave alot of rubbish lying around. whether they should or not. just about to upload a few photos of my own to flickr which i will link to asap.

I know exactly what gets left but bear in mind when I was on P-Way I was with a contractor and we'd be subjetc to tighter control than the local maintainer so we'd have people watching us far more!

Though comments like 'Lazy PWAY' are hardly fair - staff levels are such that they don't have time or resources to clear up as much as they'd like.

appreciate that gangs are smaller and time is tight, but how do you explain leaving piles of scrap in access areas, and the piles of rail and sleepers on the trough route and in front of location cab?

no need for it, it just make life harder for every one else :angry:

rant over

appreciate that gangs are smaller and time is tight, but how do you explain leaving piles of scrap in access areas, and the piles of rail and sleepers on the trough route and in front of location cab?

You've answered your own question there - time.

Must say I've never left anything on top of troughing, not good practice at all. Guess you may S&T from that observation...

Thanks to all for the comments and also the info about the state of the real track - positive and negative.

I've been doing a bit of finishing off with the bridge and car park, not that anyone will ever notice.

I'll post some pics when I've got it completed.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

I thought I'd have a go at dirtying up the rails and adding some old rails and sleepers.

post-10336-0-65388100-1309464639_thumb.jpg

I was trying to work out how to model the cups and cans on the rails as shown in robrailtd's photos. So a coffee cup is say 3" x 6" - that would be 1mm x 2mm - any suggestions on what to use or how to do it?

Also have made some progress on the road bridge - still needs capping stones and buttresses to hide the joins

post-10336-0-10209400-1309464651_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed that among your road vehicles there is what looks like a Ford Transit Connect van marked up as a taxi. Does it have a manufacturer marked on it? and can you please tell me from where it was obtained?