The concrete is looking good Phil and its great to see the return of the Green Team!

Are you going to be filling in between the tracks with concrete too? I hate doing that bit, mainly because I normally forget to dig out the gap next to the track before it dries and then have to spend ages cutting a slot with the dremmel.

Looking good.

Dave

The concrete is looking good Phil and its great to see the return of the Green Team!

Are you going to be filling in between the tracks with concrete too? I hate doing that bit, mainly because I normally forget to dig out the gap next to the track before it dries and then have to spend ages cutting a slot with the dremmel.

Looking good.

Dave

Hi Dave

As they say variety is the spice of life...

Yes, I'm going to 'fill' between the tracks, but not sure which way to go. I did see your 'dremmel project', but that looked like hard work. I thought I'd either put something (like matchsticks) next to the rails then fill with the gunk, or perhaps use an oblong of cardboard cut to fit (easier but probably wouldn't look so good).

I'll see what the first pass is like when it is dry and how hard it is to chip bits away before making the decision.

Phil

Layout is coming along nicely Phil, For the crossing have you thought about glueing a section of rail on either side then filling the middle with filler, that way theres enough clearance for the wheel flanges and a nice level to work with for the filler?

Hows the fiddle yard coming or is it on hold?

Graham.

Layout is coming along nicely Phil, For the crossing have you thought about glueing a section of rail on either side then filling the middle with filler, that way theres enough clearance for the wheel flanges and a nice level to work with for the filler?

Hows the fiddle yard coming or is it on hold?

Thanks Graham, I think I'll give that idea a go.

Fiddle yard is still WIP, but going slow. As usual distracted with other things.

Phil

Thanks for all the comments / suggestions.

After a spot of fresh air walking in the country, I thought I'd do a bit on the crossing.

Here is the first attempt, using some old steel rails glued onto the existing sleepers, although because of the chairs and the fact that the rails at the bottom are wider than at the top, the space is a bit wider than I was expecting.

post-10336-0-49348700-1373115621_thumb.jpg

Once the PVA is dry, I'll top up with the filler and post some more photos.

I might do one with this then try matchsticks on the other for a compare and contrast - worst case I can just cover it all over then scratch it out - I have used some pre-mixed filler for this, so it's fairly soft. I also thought about using some of the Peco? pallets I have, which would have been perfect, but just slightly too wide.

Peter - I've not started the kits yet, but glad to hear they aren't too bad. I must admit to being a bit daunted by the sheet of closely typed instructions/notes and not many pictures!

Phil

• Like 2

If you want to make the gap with the rails smaller phil try the rail upside down, you might have to use something like superglue to fit them but the gap will reduce with the running line.

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 1

Morning

A quick shot of the two crossings.

post-10336-0-66248400-1373272219_thumb.jpg

The bottom is the one with the rails the correct way up, and the one at the top is with the rails upside down, with the smaller gap.

I still need to do a bit of clearing up - that white stuff gets everywhere.

Now not sure if I need to dig the original up and re-do it.

Phil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Phil, both look fine, try a dilute wash of black paint to stain the white and add some variation to the grey. It gets rid of white and is good if you get cracks later too. For further batches add a small amount of black to make the base colour light grey ;)

Thanks Paul

I was thinking too when I looked back at it, that it was all a bit uniform - I'll give the washing with dilute black a go for variety.

If only I'd spent as much time modelling recently as I've spent watering the garden (yes I have a licence), and picking fruit etc.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The hosepipe might be a bit OTT inside for diluting the paint . . . .

Another useful thing is an old car washing sponge, rip it up and mix up some dirty colours to dab it in. Dab most off on some towel and then on the layout using another cleaner bit to blend in any heavy spots if paint left. Like dry brushing but almost dry sponging ;)

Doesn't leave noticeable brush marks and gives a bit of colour variation. If it goes a bit wrong just dab it in the grey and soften up the weathering.

• Like 1