Ferryhill shed

kingfisher24

If you haven't seen it already - "LMS Engine Sheds Volume 5 - The Caledonian Railway" by Hawkins and Reeve has 7 pages on Ferryhill, including a plan as of 1947. Also, Old-Maps has (as it says on the tin) old maps of the area, some at 1:2500, some at 1:10560. There's a 1:2500 map showing it as of 1926, at a resolution good enough to see individual shed roads perfectly distinctly.

• 7 years later...

If you haven't seen it already - "LMS Engine Sheds Volume 5 - The Caledonian Railway" by Hawkins and Reeve has 7 pages on Ferryhill, including a plan as of 1947. Also, Old-Maps has (as it says on the tin) old maps of the area, some at 1:2500, some at 1:10560. There's a 1:2500 map showing it as of 1926, at a resolution good enough to see individual shed roads perfectly distinctly.

Thanks for that - just ordered it as I'm looking at Ferryhill for my own layout!

Edited by bigwordsmith

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that - just ordered it as I'm looking at Ferryhill for my own layout!

Part five of On Shed, - Diesel Depots of the Scottish Region,

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/product/BOOKSHED5/on-shed-5-scottish-region

has a map of the shed and diagram of the works section converted into a diesel maintenance shop.

001_On Shed 5_ScS_cover.pdf

The NLS maps are better, this large scale map shows individual tracks https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=57.1323&lon=-2.0987&layers=170&b=1

• 1 month later...

Hi

,Like yourself I am planning on building a N scale model of the Ferryhill MPD. And like you trying to find out more information on especially the engine sheds.

I see several people have suggest obtaining the LMS Engine Sheds Vol 5 as a good reference book.

Having purchased other books on line I am often disappointed with their contents, and hesitate at the moment to search and buy this particular book.

Have you read it and would you recommend it?

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and both N scale and more particularly British N scale locos are not an easy find other than on Ebay.

My interest in Ferryhill is that I was born in Aberdeen and grew up there. My father was in the Nigerian Railways and on retirement they tried to induce him to come out of retirement to work at Ferryhill when the A4's were stabled there, however he declined,

So please to have discovered this site and joined it.

Cheers,

Ian

One of the attractions of modelling Ferryhill shed in the 70's is that some of the roads were used for wagon repairs, so you can justify shunting a fair few wagon types around the yard. There were three roads (including the old loco coal stage line) which were used exclusively for wagon storage, and the repairs were carried out on a couple of roads within the shed itself - I forget which, but I seem to recall they were some of the centre bays, and this appears to be confirmed by the photograph above. The extreme west end roads were truncated and the doors bricked up - again visible in the picture above.

I seems less attractive to model in steam days, not least becuase the engines tended to be turned and stabled with their chimneys facing the shed.

Edited by clachnaharry
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 20:21, 18B said:

Part five of On Shed, - Diesel Depots of the Scottish Region,

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/product/BOOKSHED5/on-shed-5-scottish-region

has a map of the shed and diagram of the works section converted into a diesel maintenance shop.

001_On Shed 5_ScS_cover.pdf 183.15 kB · 19 downloads

Many thanks for the information and link, I have order one and look forward to its delivery. Cheers Ian