RFM buffet car update

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

With the sad loss of the W&SR service last week there has been some speculation regarding whether Dapol will continue with the Buffet car in this livery when it comes out.

The answer is YES.:lol:

It was and never will be our intention to leave modellers who purchased this set 'high and dry' without either the buffet car or the 5th coach.

These will be available in the next few months as a twin pack of both coaches.

Chinese new year has started and once everyone in the factory resumes work i hope to be able to really push on the project and 'hopefully' have something tangible to show at Ally Pally in late March.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Dave

You mention that the RFM will be available in 'a few months', can we take it that the other versions LH and HST will be available at the same time?

Also why do you go to the BRM London show but not the Doncatser one, we don't bite!

Hi,

yes the LH and HST development are proceeding hand in hand.

and Doncaster show cannot fit our trailer into the venue, plus we found it rather expensive, and the money could be spent better elsewhere (like development).

HTH

cheers

Dave

Dapol ltd

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Impressive. I like the fact its gained TDM cables on the ends too B)

Looks it may be missing a toilet window though on the side with the buffet to the right?

http://rollingstock.fotopic.net/p43733855.html

Out of interest, will this tooling be forming the basis for the HST buffets too?

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

Definitely looks like a toilet window missing! The roof arrangement looks wrong as well - there should be two large-ish square vents above the two small windows and four smaller vents on the other side with the three small windows.

Side with 2 small windows and 2 large vents above them: http://rollingstock.fotopic.net/p43128582.html or http://rollingstock.fotopic.net/p47367042.html

Side with 3 small windows and 4 small vents: http://rollingstock.fotopic.net/p54424679.html

Cheers, Mike

Hi,

yes, i noticed the roof and the window.....lord knows why they missed those off the cad/cam.

As an aside they modelled the interior of the buffet food prep and storage area / sinks and it looks great, however they missed out the serving area too as it's modelled on the cad as a solid wall. (probably modelled as per the real thing about 4 miles from Euston (pick your station) with the shutter down etc.:)

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi,

yes, i noticed the roof and the window.....lord knows why they missed those off the cad/cam.

As an aside they modelled the interior of the buffet food prep and storage area / sinks and it looks great, however they missed out the serving area too as it's modelled on the cad as a solid wall. (probably modelled as per the real thing about 4 miles from Euston (pick your station) with the shutter down etc.:)

You obviously travel on the wrong ToC. First Great Western leave it open so they can employ a nice person to spend the entire journey telling people they are out of sandwiches and to agree with you on the subject of his/her management.

We've had working container doors - DCC controlled working shutters next ?

Which RFM is being modelled? I take it is not the ex FO version but are the ex TRUK and ex RFB versions very different?

The pictures of the W&S refurbished RFMs have five windows per side I take it the RFM is going to be in B/G.

• RMweb Gold

Which RFM is being modelled? I take it is not the ex FO version but are the ex TRUK and ex RFB versions very different?

The pictures of the W&S refurbished RFMs have five windows per side I take it the RFM is going to be in B/G.

It is the 4 window version.

It is the 4 window version.

If that's the case it won't be correct for the Wrexham and Shropshire RFMs - they are extensively modified and their window arrangement is unlike any other RFMs. Dapol can't realistically model every variation though - it wouldn't be financially viable - and I'll still be buying it to complete the set even if it's not quite as per the prototype.

If that's the case it won't be correct for the Wrexham and Shropshire RFMs - they are extensively modified and their window arrangement is unlike any other RFMs. Dapol can't realistically model every variation though - it wouldn't be financially viable - and I'll still be buying it to complete the set even if it's not quite as per the prototype.

As far as I understand it, it's not correct either for the Pretendolino RFMs, both of which are of the ex-FO type with larger windows on the corridor side of the kitchen end.

What it is, is representative of the most common type of RFM, those converted from TRUKs (including most of the WSMR ones before refurbishment). And therefore the most verstatile for future uses. Which, as it happens, is the same decision as taken by Hornby with their RFM...

Chris

As far as I understand it, it's not correct either for the Pretendolino RFMs, both of which are of the ex-FO type with larger windows on the corridor side of the kitchen end.

What it is, is representative of the most common type of RFM, those converted from TRUKs (including most of the WSMR ones before refurbishment). And therefore the most verstatile for future uses. Which, as it happens, is the same decision as taken by Hornby with their RFM...

There are three types of RFMs - ex TRUKs, ex-FOs and modified original Mk3a RFBs. The ex-RFBs are the largest sub-type, and these and the ex-TRUKs (of which there are few) are so similar that it's very difficult to tell them apart visually. The Hornby model (and presumably the Dapol one) are good representation of either of these types. It's only the ex-FOs which are very different (full-size windows down one side, plus other things) which they don't represent well, plus the four Wrexham and Shropshire ones (one ex-TRUK, three ex-RFB), which have a completely revised window arrangement.

There are three types of RFMs - ex TRUKs, ex-FOs and modified original Mk3a RFBs. The ex-RFBs are the largest sub-type, and these and the ex-TRUKs (of which there are few) are so similar that it's very difficult to tell them apart visually. The Hornby model (and presumably the Dapol one) are good representation of either of these types. It's only the ex-FOs which are very different (full-size windows down one side, plus other things) which they don't represent well, plus the four Wrexham and Shropshire ones (one ex-TRUK, three ex-RFB), which have a completely revised window arrangement.

Indeed, although as I said it's a bit ironic that the two liveries Dapol intend to release first both fall into the 'exceptions' category, and assuming Dapol use it unchanged, it's not 100% correct for HSTs either as TRSBs and TRUKS both differed on the kitchen side - at least the orginal ones, do any RFMs run in HST formations these days?.

Chirs

do any RFMs run in HST formations these days?.

No - there's a surplus of HST catering vehicles so no need to convert RFMs. FGW have created the 401xx which is basically a TS with a small servery at one end (a sensible design) and AXC have the 4500x TCCs, which are about a third first class, then trolley kitchen, then ten standard class seats. It's not a good design, any if you sit in the standard class bit it feels like you are in the staff working area.

The full-size buffets (most are 407xx) no longer required because of these new types are in store - a fair few of them are at Eastleigh.

RFMs in their original form which are correct for the Dapol model are in use with NXEA (they have examples of all three types), Cargo-D (ex-TRUK and ex-RFB), Arriva Trains Wale (ex-RFB), DB Schenker (ex-TRUK), and DB Regio (ex-FO and ex-RFB). All of these are in corporate liveries apart from the Cargo-D and DB Regio ones which are blue and grey.

Of more unusual liveries, there's one (ex-RFB) painted in SR Green at Midsomer Norton station (heritage site) - it's in use as a static cafe. There's another in blood-and-custard (ex-FO) at Hawsker station on the old Whitby to Scarborogh line, converted into self-catering holiday accommodation.

Of more unusual liveries, there's one (ex-RFB) painted in SR Green at Midsomer Norton station (heritage site) - it's in use as a static cafe. There's another in blood-and-custard (ex-FO) at Hawsker station on the old Whitby to Scarborogh line, converted into self-catering holiday accommodation.

Boy, I must be getting old if these new-fangled Mk3 thingys are appearing as camping coaches!

There is a manky Mk3 slepper at the back at Didcot. I assume it must be volunteer accomodation as it seems to have no place amongst the Kings, Castles and Toads.

Chris

Boy, I must be getting old if these new-fangled Mk3 thingys are appearing as camping coaches!

There is a manky Mk3 slepper at the back at Didcot. I assume it must be volunteer accomodation as it seems to have no place amongst the Kings, Castles and Toads.

Chris

There was a surplus of RFMs due to the fact that all the West Coast Mk2 sets had one (it was the only Mk3 vehicle in the sets), and many of the Anglia Mk2 sets likewise had one, hence there were considerably more RFMs than there were sets of Mk3s. A few RFMs were cut in 1995.

There was a considerable surplus of Mk3 sleepers, and a lot were scrapped or sold off. There are a number used as volunteer accommodation at heritage railways - examples spring to mind at Minehead, Embsay and Pickering, and there are a fair few more. In most cases the bogies were removed for reuse before the carriages were disposed of, hence most of them sit on bogies from a variety of older stock.

Archived