Peco SL-102F Concrete flexitrack (code 75)

ajdown

When did concrete sleepered track come into use on the mainline?

Was it only restricted to "prime" mainlines or did secondary lines get it in the early days?

I can't seem to find any information - and whilst starting to think about a new layout I'm tempted to use concrete on the main and wood on the sidings/branch etc to differentiate the two.

• 2 weeks later...

When did concrete sleepered track come into use on the mainline?

Was it only restricted to "prime" mainlines or did secondary lines get it in the early days?

I can't seem to find any information - and whilst starting to think about a new layout I'm tempted to use concrete on the main and wood on the sidings/branch etc to differentiate the two.

Thanks smile.gif

Odd trials during the war I think, large scale use starting in the early 1960's.

In sidings concrete pot sleepers had been used since the early 1900's, but reuse of old timber track from the mainlines was much more common.

Odd trials during the war I think, large scale use starting in the early 1960's.

In sidings concrete pot sleepers had been used since the early 1900's, but reuse of old timber track from the mainlines was much more common.

Most shots I've seen of concrete- sleepered track before the mid-1960s show chaired bullhead rail, even when adjacent lines had been renewed with flat-bottom rail on wooden sleepers. Concrete-sleepered flatbottom track became really popular from the 1960s, when large-scale welding of rails started. Initially, the same sort of ballast shoulder was used as for the wooden sleepered type, but a number of derailments due to distortion in hot summers meant that a much deeper one was soon introduced.

Archived