Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

They certainly do look good Dave. I used to like the window stickers that had crests/logos on.

Ian, I do still have a few but goodness knows where. I found some a few months back whilst looking through some old photos, notebooks and Platform 5 spotting books!

Loving the HST shots, the weathering on the power car is just right. I did like them in that livery although I also liked the Intercity swallow version too!

Now the photo of the107 really does look the business, absolute quality!

Those ScotRail BGs used to get everywhere; I remember seeing one at Colchester in a London to Norwich rake!

Thanks Dave,

I will look at getting some of those at some point.

Here is another Haymarket pic, might be of some help when you build yours. :imsohappy:

Cheers Peter.

Ambassador Peter, you spoil me with your photos. That one is superb, as it shows all three main sheds together and their general layout. I have a fair number of shots of close-ups of the individual sheds but not very many which show the whole scene like that. Brilliant. Any more you (or anyone else) have would be gratefully received too. I'm being greedy now I know.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks guys pleased you like the pic I have one looking over to the left a bit more, I will post it in the next few days.

Like Trev and Alex I look forwards to seeing a few locos on shed, I don't think we will have to twist Dave's arm too much to buy a few more 20s 26 and 27s. :senile:

Millerhillboy, that would be great I miss the smell of diesel and wet oil . It could be called a smellpeg. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Certainly is a nice photo Peter - You can still get a good view of the depot from that angle from the trackbed of the former line down to Leith and Blackhall as this is now a cycleway which is very well used. The real shame is its just full of 158's and 170's now a days!

I can always lend you my pair of 26's to help fill your new depot Dave!

thanks,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just to prove I'm still alive, I thought I'd post a few pics from projects that I've attempted to pick at while life continues apace.

I am currently working on a couple of 37s and have just finished another Mk 2d SO. I am so pleased with the results of the Shawplan-fitted Mk 2d that I've decided to make it a priority. I have now completed 2 SO's and am working on an FO and another SO. After that, I will do a BSO and that will then enable me to make up a 7-coach rake when combined with a Mk 1 BG and buffet.

Here are a couple of shots of the Mk 2s together...

post-7247-0-78685000-1319822447_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-12122800-1319822478_thumb.jpg

Another project I have been working on is the renumbering/alteration of a split headcode Bachmann to 37026 Loch Awe. This project is now nearing completion. I just need to fit a bass speaker in the fuel tanks as well as snowploughs and buffer beam detail...

post-7247-0-23036900-1319822578_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-94423900-1319822620_thumb.jpg

Another project is the partial respraying of 37043 Loch Lomond to correct the overlarge numbers, which is now pretty much complete...

post-7247-0-94169200-1319822694_thumb.jpg

The railway room (sorry, house) buying has suffered a bit of a delay but is still looking likely to go ahead, so fingers crossed on that front.

Cheers for now,

Dave

PS Thanks for the Haymarket shots, Peter. True inspiration!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Those Mk III's look great Dave - l know its already been said but loving those train destination labels...use to love to whip those as I got off said train!

Did you ever consider using alternative couplings? I always find your photos so realistic but the couplings take a little something away from it.

Edited by bcnPete

Hi Dave,

Those Mk 2's do look nice with the new windows it really does improve the look of them - not sure I can face doing mine in the sleeper rake but you never know if time and money allows they just might get done one day!

Those 2 new 37's look good - the plain blue filthy one captures that well work stained look! Have you seen Leggomanbiffo's new sound recordings for the 37/0, Well worth a look on youtube, the Howes one is also nice having listened to one running on Coppell at the Barrow show. Best to get some different ones in the 37 fleet to add a bit more variety!

Hope the house move all goes well and comes together ok.

All the best,

Mark

Thanks guys. WW is now in the process of being dismantled in preparation for the big move, which will hopefully take place sometime next month. I have so far managed to split off three of the five boards, without causing any damage that can't be fixed.

Cheers

Dave

Those Mk III's look great Dave - l know its already been said but loving those train destination labels...use to love to whip those as I got off said train!

Did you ever consider using alternative couplings? I always find your photos so realistic but the couplings take a little something away from it.

Thanks. Yes, I am in the process of fitting buffer beam detail and realistic couplings to most if not all of my locos at one end. I hadn't yet got round to doing this one 37026 when I took the photos.

I have also been experimenting with various types of close coupling for my coaches. So hopefully this is an area that will improve on WW in the future.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Good luck with your move and glad to hear the layout is coming apart ok! Hope it continues to plan.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark.

The layout has now been successfully split into 5 boards with lots of severed, but labelled, wires hanging down underneath. Everything has gone more or less according to plan so far. I've built a frame around the main station area board to protect it, as this is the most important one. My main concern at the moment is whether one of the boards is too long to fit round the corner at the bottom of the stairs. There's only one way to find out I guess! A couple of wires also managed to escape being labelled somehow, but that will only add to the "fun" of trying to put it all back together, I'm sure. :D Future developments on WW will definitely be designed with a possible future move (or exhibition) in mind. Not that we're already thinking of moving again, you understand, just that I never considered the possibility of moving the layout last time. :rolleyes:

The buying process is almost complete now and we hope to move in mid-December. The heating in the new railway room is my biggest concern - a rather small electric oil-filled radiator, so I guess given the time of year I'm going to find out how good (and expensive) it is pretty quickly.

I've been managing to chip away at a few projects in between packing boxes and have now almost finished another Mk 2d SO and a FO too. Those, combined with a BSO yet to be done, should make up a nice 7- or 8-coach Mk 1/2d East Coast rake on the new Waverley West. 37026 and 37043 are also nearly finished. They just need their buffer beam details and snow ploughs fitting now.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Glad it's all going to plan, hope the move goes well. It's good to hear you can still work on a few projects, keep us posted with pics even if the layout has been packed away. The class 37s look great your 37043 is a bit of a favourite of mine, must admit I hadn't noticed the over large numbers it looks superb now though. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I saw the mention in HM as well, and am mightily impressed to see that another RMWebber whose work I follow and admire is going to get his work displayed to a wider audience.

Hope the home move goes well - I'll PM you with some advice about making sure that one area of your move goes well - one where that it actually my job!

Regards

Stewart

Hi Dave, Glad it's all going to plan, hope the move goes well. It's good to hear you can still work on a few projects, keep us posted with pics even if the layout has been packed away. The class 37s look great your 37043 is a bit of a favourite of mine, must admit I hadn't noticed the over large numbers it looks superb now though. :locomotive: Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I'll try and keep posting pics even while I am layout-less (a strange feeling after having had WW for around 8 years now).

Reading the latest Hornby Magazine last night, I see there's a reference to WW being in next month's issue. Is this a final salute to Mk1, or a hint at plans for Mk2?!

Hi Dave I saw the mention in HM as well, and am mightily impressed to see that another RMWebber whose work I follow and admire is going to get his work displayed to a wider audience. Hope the home move goes well - I'll PM you with some advice about making sure that one area of your move goes well - one where that it actually my job! Regards Stewart

Thanks guys, and thanks Stewart for your kind advice. I wasn't sure whether to mention the article in HM as I haven't had confirmation from Mike Wild as to which issue it is going to be in. I haven't seen this month's HM yet either.

The article is a bit of a salute to WW Mk 1 (I guess I can't call them WW I and WW II due to the possibility of confusion with certain historical events), as well as a look forward to WW Mk 2. The article also covers my technique for weathering rolling stock and mentions a few "special" locos in the WW roster.

We are exchanging contracts today, so there's no going back now. We should be getting the keys in a couple of weeks time. In the meantime, I will try and finish off the projects mentioned above. Mrs WW can't believe I'm still modelling at this stage, but there's only so much box-packing I can take in one go.

Hope to be back with more updates soon.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi folks,

For my first post in my (hopefully temporary) layout-less existence :( , I thought I'd post a couple of pics of some projects I have completed prior to moving...

First up is 37026 which has now been fully weathered (except perhaps for the buffer heads which could do with a touch of grease). Apologies for the dreadful colouring of the shots, the bent hose on the buffer beam and the broken MU jumper cable! Note to self: must check these things more carefully before taking photographs!

post-7247-0-53774400-1322129266_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-32060800-1322129312_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-93854600-1322129375_thumb.jpg

Secondly, a Mk 2d FO with painted interior and fitted with passengers, Shawplan etched window frames and lazerglaze glazing and partially resprayed, detailed, etc., etc....

post-7247-0-06203400-1322129427_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-19695900-1322129470_thumb.jpg

This FO and another SO I have just completed will give me an East Coach rake of 6-7 improved Bachmann Mk 1s (BGs and restaurant coach) and Shawplan-fitted Hornby/Dapol/Airfix Mk 2ds. With another FO and a BSO to come, they should make up into a nice rake for WW Mk 2.

I'm not sure Mrs WW will allow me to start on any more projects before the move but I have a few more shots of completed projects to post yet, along with a few interesting (well, I think they're interesting anyway!) shots of WW in the process of being dismantled which show how I put the half-station idea into practice.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 4

That's a lovely mucky 37 that.. hmmm good inspiration there! Nice Mk2D too... I've an airfix one that my youngest son (then age 5) found in a secondhand selection a couple of years ago... which I (er... ) look after for him... it's not as knocked about as the other mk1s and 2s that have been well played with. It would be interesting to detail this... and the bufferbeam area looks decidely lacking the couplings and hoses... but is there anything else that could be easily added to thsi area to retain some functionality? Oh, and my current-project P4 deltic now only has Exactoscale "scale" screw links... which will work, to an extent... but then again, I'm more interested in the up-close detail than expecting long distance haulage (oh for the space for WW... or Kings Cross North come to that :scratchhead: ).

Good luck with the house move... and with WW2