Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

It's your backscenes that really finish of Waverley West, having scenes of the real thing behind your stock is just great. 47644 waiting for the road is superb too.B)

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Good afternoon Dave -

I've watched and enjoyed this thread for ages - but recently visited Edinburgh - and Scotland for the very first time. I stayed in a hotel on Princes street - how weird it was to step out onto the balcony and look down on your layout - with the feeling that Id been here before blink.gif- even better - I can see my hotel (and the room i was in) on your layout!

A very surreal experience biggrin.gif

Regards

Jon

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Much appreciated as always.

I used to work in one of the buildings in the background of the first pic. S'where i met my lovely wife too.

Great photo!

Glad to bring back some happy memories for you then, Jon!

Is the corner shop a plaster kit from Town Scenes?

Yep, it is. It needs interior detail adding to finish it off, but otherwise they're lovely models I think.

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post some more nights photos from Waverley West. Space - time displacement machine set to pm Friday August 29 1986.

A well-loaded 107447 departs on 2Y49, the 22.24 departure to Glasgow Queen St. via Shotts...

post-7247-0-03859400-1309341879_thumb.jpg

The last HST arrival of the day from London King's Cross, 1S34, the 18.00 departure from KX, arrives in Platform 19 bang on time at 23.03...

post-7247-0-35251500-1309341283_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-70127600-1309341446_thumb.jpg

Across on Platform 14, the stock of 1S37, the 03.43 TPO service to Aberdeen is already being loaded...

post-7247-0-21836500-1309341626_thumb.jpg

Later, I managed to sneak a view down across the station and saw 1S37 again, being readied for departure in the charge of 47644...

post-7247-0-84305300-1309342182_thumb.jpg

My first Mk 2d with Shawplan windows and frames is nearing completion and is ready for the grey to be resprayed. I'm hoping to get away with just a partial respray but I'll only know if that's possible when I remove the masking!

Well, better go and do some works, I s'pose.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

Great photos as usual. I particularly like night shots on your layout. The effect is just spot on. The HST looks fantastic (personally prefer original livery but I don't have a time machine to change my stock :laugh:

Off down to East Lancs for a session on the real things on Sunday....just happened to be passing on route to airport......sort of...

:unknw_mini:

keep up the good work

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

backscenes are wonderful, dave. you seem to have got the angle of capture just right, as opposed to just sticking a photie on!

meant to say, the hugh longworth 1st. gen DMUs book has lots of sets listed at various times, inc. the 108s.

e.g. 1988 - 101 3xx, 104 4xx, 107 4xx, 108 3xx, 120 5xx (either HA or ED, AY being a long shot?)

incidentally, i think it was waverley - glasgow central via shotts, one of those services where i doubt anyone travelled end-to-end, when there was always a much quicker option! (unless of course, you really like 1st. gen DMUs! :) )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris. Have fun on Sunday! What will you be doing?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

I was (or should it be we were...?) 'enjoying' good quality Diesels preferably the blue ones. Even Wendy had to agree that 55 022 makes an awsome noise! Can't see her down at the end of your platforms...then again.....

As you can see from the photo my better half just wouldn't behave ....

:D

Will get round to posting some of the photos on You tube at some point and may stick a few good ones on here. Will let you know

Chris

post-7330-0-62609700-1310772609_thumb.jpg

post-7330-0-67966000-1310772634_thumb.jpg

post-7330-0-48458200-1310772743_thumb.jpg

post-7330-0-66718300-1310772762_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

backscenes are wonderful, dave. you seem to have got the angle of capture just right, as opposed to just sticking a photie on!

meant to say, the hugh longworth 1st. gen DMUs book has lots of sets listed at various times, inc. the 108s.

e.g. 1988 - 101 3xx, 104 4xx, 107 4xx, 108 3xx, 120 5xx (either HA or ED, AY being a long shot?)

incidentally, i think it was waverley - glasgow central via shotts, one of those services where i doubt anyone travelled end-to-end, when there was always a much quicker option! (unless of course, you really like 1st. gen DMUs! :) )

Thanks keefer. I made a special trip to Edinburgh to take photos of Princes St. from Castle Hill, which is more or less the right angle from where I normally operate the layout. A few shots such as the North British/Balmoral Hotel and Calton Hill were taken from different locations to get the right angle. Getting the shot of the Balmoral Hotel was actually the hardest, as I didn't want it be too low or too high and it had to be the right time of day too, as the front of it in the shade until the afternoon. I think it came out OK in the end though.

Thanks for the tip about the first generation DMU book. Sounds like it might contain some useful information. I could do with some number info on the 108 sets used in particular.

You're quite right about Waverley - Glasgow Central via Shotts of course. Slip of the keyboard. As you say, I think the service took a lot longer than the direct route.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

I was (or should it be we were...?) 'enjoying' good quality Diesels preferably the blue ones. Even Wendy had to agree that 55 022 makes an awsome noise! Can't see her down at the end of your platforms...then again.....

As you can see from the photo my better half just wouldn't behave ....

:D

Will get round to posting some of the photos on You tube at some point and may stick a few good ones on here. Will let you know

Chris

post-7330-0-62609700-1310772609_thumb.jpg

post-7330-0-67966000-1310772634_thumb.jpg

post-7330-0-48458200-1310772743_thumb.jpg

post-7330-0-66718300-1310772762_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting those shots Chris. Always good to see some shots of BR Blue diesels. I'm impressed you got an admission like that from Wendy. I doubt I could get Mrs WW to admit anything like that. Still, I can't complain, she willingly often travels on heritage lines with me without complaining (too much).

Dave,

The night shots look terrific...especially the last one...WoW :yes:

Pete

Thanks Pete!

Hi Dave,

Cracking night shots!

I am sure that you have probably already seen this but whilst browsing YouTube last night I came across this which is right up your street:

Also this one contains something that would look nice modelled on Waverley West, scroll to 8 mins 32s:

Some nice traction in both videos!

Hope you like them. B)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I remember seeing your layout in Model Rail and was stunned by it and the convincing photos. Having only recently joined RMweb, I discovered your thread only recently. It always intrigued me from the article just how you got it all into a spare room, but having seen the room view pics I now understand. What an innovative way of constructing a layout with separately joined up modules. I love the Google Earth station view - just so real looking. How long did it take to build and do you have during construction pics? What about bringing overhead to Waverley etc? So many questions!

It's a remarkable layout and long may it continue.

Regards Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

It's your backscenes that really finish of Waverley West, having scenes of the real thing behind your stock is just great. 47644 waiting for the road is superb too.B)

Cheers Peter.

Backscenes? Waverley West has backscenes? I thought it was just a continuation into the real world.

Robert.

Hi Dave,

Cheers Peter.

Backscenes? Waverley West has backscenes? I thought it was just a continuation into the real world.

Robert.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very evocative night shots Dave.

I always felt the station moved in mood from touristy New Town during the day to the impenetrable cold and mystery of the Old Town at night - especially in the winter months. The layout captures this very well.

Some pics for you to mull over in here : http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p1014121698 I hope there is something of interest.

Bruce

incidentally, i think it was waverley - glasgow central via shotts, one of those services where i doubt anyone travelled end-to-end,

I seem to remember doing it once, maybe twice, on a Railrover. I also seem to remember sleeping :boredom:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I'll get round to answering the questions when I can. In the meantime, I just thought I'd post some shots of one of my latest projects to prove I'm still alive and loitering suspiciously in the background.

There's been a lot going on here at Chez WW recently, but not a lot has actually happened yet. We finally got the finance together to buy the house we've been interested in for a while, only to find that there's a cash buyer viewing it at the weekend. Talk about timing. It's been on the market for 18 months. We will find out next week whether our offer has been accepted or whether these cash buyers have put in a better offer. Seems like it's going to be all or nothing.

Here are some shots of my latest completed project - a Mk 2d SO with Shawplan window frames and tinted lazerglaze windows, which I've been mentioning for some time. It is finally finished and I'm quite pleased with the results, although my technique needs improving as it's far from perfect. That's my fault though, not the fault of the Shawplan parts. I have resprayed the roof and the grey but left the blue as is. The coach has also been renumbered.

Anyway, here we are...

First up, a general view of the finished coach arriving in a mixed livery train from Aberdeen at Platform 16...

post-7247-0-94112600-1315470423_thumb.jpg

A close up of the coach complete with passengers and a very smart-looking driver (smarter than I've ever seen them looking!) awaiting his next turn...

post-7247-0-86694200-1315470473_thumb.jpg

A very cruel close-up of the door showing the destination sticker in the window. The coach on the left is a resprayed version but with the original (incorrect) tinted door window, hence the destination sticker had to be put on the outside. Not too obvious I hope. The photo shows the close coupling possible with these coaches using Bachmann couplings, without causing derailments too.

post-7247-0-32085400-1315470724_thumb.jpg

Another cruel close-up. I think the lower edge of the body profile is not quite right on these coaches and I would have done something about it if I had done a full repaint. In the end I got away with just respraying the grey.

post-7247-0-47953600-1315470588_thumb.jpg

And finally a three-quarter view of the coach in a train bound for Inverness...

post-7247-0-45704900-1315471079_thumb.jpg

I have also finished the same treatment to all the coaches in my InterCity Executive-liveried HST, bar the TGS which is the final coach to do in the rake. More photos on this as soon as I get chance.

I have also almost finished my "top secret project", which was...wait for it... a respray of an old Hornby APT I had from my formative years. No model of Waverley in the 80s would be complete without an APT of course. :lol:

I just wanted to see what I could make of it without spending too much time on it apart from a respray. Photos soon I hope. I'm having problems finding decoders that will work with the old Hornby motor and the lights for some reason. I've tried Lenz, TCS and ZTC decoders so far without success. The decoders seem to stop responding to my ZTC 511 after a while. The unit ran fine on DC too. I've fitted decoders successfully to old-style motors before so I'm not really sure what's wrong.

Well, better go I guess. Thanks again for the posts, guys. Some very useful links there Alex and robrailltd, thanks!

Hope to be back soon with some good news and some photos of my "new" HST and APT.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

Super work as usual Dave, love the destination/station stickers in the window, remember collecting many of those as a kid !

Joey paid a visit during his summer holidays, first thing he said when he arrived, ''its just like that mans layout on RMweb, you know, the one that does those 'speedy' shots'' !!

post-6667-0-09720200-1315472835.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

Glad to see you have been busy, it has been a while since your last update. The coach looks great, as Sandhills said the destination stickers do look spot on. I notice you have put the no Smoking stickers on, I was worried they might show the thickness of the windows but they seem to look ok. Are you happy with them?

Best of luck with the house too, it would be a shame if some loaded git beat you to it after you have worked so hard to try and get it.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jon - haven't done a speed shot for a while. Maybe it's time for an "80s-style APT at speed" shot!

Hi Peter - The windows do look thick when you're putting them in but I don't find it noticeable once they're in, probably because of the tinting. I painted the rims of the windows black as well which helps. I'm certainly happy with them and have a load more to do. Once those are done, that should be the cue for Bachmann to announce new versions of the Mk 2d's at last!

post-7247-0-13357800-1315479205_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

I think the lower edge of the body profile is not quite right on these coaches and I would have done something about it if I had done a full repaint.

I thought that when they first came out, though in other respects they were pretty outstanding models in 1975 (OK, they messed up on the FO seats too, though that did conveniently provide seats for a Mk.2/2a BSO conversion!).