Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave WW

I have been following your layout for a while and it is an inspiration to watch the development and attention to detail. I have been a "collector" of model railways for many years but now at last I have got the urge to work on a proper layout with proper locomotives and rolling stock that really reflects the prototype.

I had previously thought of doing a layout based in Scotland either Waverley or Inverness but gave up the challenge as it took to long to get started and much to long to get anything decent ready to run. Then there is the changing technologies with DCC, computer control and now sound! When you add this to the fact that my chosen scale is the small stuff (N-gauge UK 1:148/2mm) then perhaps I have some excuses for not getting to this point after 30 years! (Can't believe it is 30 years - oh dear!) :-)

Thanks to your on-going work I can see that this is the long haul and as a result I have now completed the first part of the layout in the last 6 months and I am at last able to run trains. I have watched how you painstakingly convert improve restore locomotives to real models and have accepted that it is not quantity but quality that counts. As a result, I have now just completed my first two N-gauge DCC Sound locomotives (37 and 47) and I am also now defacing them with weathering. Yes the models have improved, the technology has improved and, the running qualities have improved but, without inspiration from people such as yourself posting on the forum, so people can see what is possible with time and patience (with enjoyment and frustration along the way) many more layouts would stay in the imagination.

Keep up the good work and maybe one-day I might find the time to post some shots of "Nae Laphroig" on this forum.

Many Thanks

Dave 2

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

I am currently working on detailing one of my ScotRail 47/7s with buffer beam detailing and push-pull connectors, as well as a 105/108 blue - white/blue stripe combination. Since the completion of the HST power cars, progress has been a bit slow, partly because I had spent two months on the InterCity HST coaches, only to decide to wait until the Extreme Etchings window frames and glazing came out. That was a bit frustrating, having got so near to finishing them. Anyone know whether/when the etching are out??

For certain reasons (neighbour-related again), I've not been having a great time recently and my modelling enthusiasm and pace has dropped off a little, but hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

hi dave

i have had your Glen Sannox post on here for some days now and no commet from you, :unsure:

or are you in your padded cell and can not come out? :lol:

carl

Hi Carl,

You should know that I'm only allowed out of my cell at certain times. :lol: It always takes me a little while to find threads and your Glen Sannox thread is now being duly and eargerly watched of course, as you probably realise from my couple of posts so far. I'm still here, but something strange has been happening to my Waverley West thread over the past few days, as it seems to have disappeared off my "radar" (i.e. all my various listings). In fact I had to search in my profile to find it even though there have been quite a few posts on it recently. Not sure what that's all about.

Hi Dave WW

I have been following your layout for a while and it is an inspiration to watch the development and attention to detail. I have been a "collector" of model railways for many years but now at last I have got the urge to work on a proper layout with proper locomotives and rolling stock that really reflects the prototype.

I had previously thought of doing a layout based in Scotland either Waverley or Inverness but gave up the challenge as it took to long to get started and much to long to get anything decent ready to run. Then there is the changing technologies with DCC, computer control and now sound! When you add this to the fact that my chosen scale is the small stuff (N-gauge UK 1:148/2mm) then perhaps I have some excuses for not getting to this point after 30 years! (Can't believe it is 30 years - oh dear!) :-)

Thanks to your on-going work I can see that this is the long haul and as a result I have now completed the first part of the layout in the last 6 months and I am at last able to run trains. I have watched how you painstakingly convert improve restore locomotives to real models and have accepted that it is not quantity but quality that counts. As a result, I have now just completed my first two N-gauge DCC Sound locomotives (37 and 47) and I am also now defacing them with weathering. Yes the models have improved, the technology has improved and, the running qualities have improved but, without inspiration from people such as yourself posting on the forum, so people can see what is possible with time and patience (with enjoyment and frustration along the way) many more layouts would stay in the imagination.

Keep up the good work and maybe one-day I might find the time to post some shots of "Nae Laphroig" on this forum.

Many Thanks

Dave 2

Hi Dave 2,

Thanks for your kind words. Glad to hear your making progress. Building a layout does take time, especially when life keeps getting in the way. I try and do something regularly, ideally every day, however little, as once you leave it for too long, I find it's very easy for everything to stagnate and nothing gets done. Thanks for your words about my weathering of locos and stock. I don't "allow" unweathered stock on Waverley West, as I think it just looks like a toy, no matter how superb the model itself is. A bit of weathering just brings everything to life, even on relatively clean stock. I'm impressed that you're going for DCC sound in 'N'. I have enough trouble finding space in '00' locos for a speaker and decoder!

Looking forward to seeing "Nae Laphroig" on this forum sometime soon. Had you run out of whisky when you were deciding what to call the layout by any chance? :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Nae laddie - have plenty of the golden nectar but the reason for the name is that there are certain things that can't be tackled after a drop of the stuff - and DCC-ing N-gauge stock with sound is one of them!

However currently I am fitting some DCC point motors and they are proving to be very hard to set-up to stop them shorting on switching the live frogs. Have done about 20 now (2 double slips included) and at least 6 need some more work which in this case means taking them off testing them and refitting in correct places. It is much more time consuming than I could ever have believed! After this I will be ready for a wee dram!

Looking forward to seeing some sound fitted deltics when the HST's are finished?

Regards

Dave 2

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a few preview pics of my latest project - a hybrid blue 105/white-blue stripe 108 combination shortly to be arriving at Waverley West. I just have to fit some passengers and the sound chip now, plus a few finishing touches. The 108 body is a bit of a pain to get off, so these pics just show the 105. More to follow when I've finished it!

post-7247-097263500 1290430258_thumb.jpg

post-7247-092516200 1290430277_thumb.jpg

post-7247-065549600 1290430305_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

PS Yes, I know the body's not quite back on properly! :D

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

I look forward to your updates, your photography is exceptional and you have captured the weathered look of that 105 brilliantly. I am looking forward to seeing this set complete as it is something different to what you normally see modelled. Do you have a picture of the real unit that you have worked from as that would also be interesting to see. I really like the pipework you have used on your DMU's it looks really good. I'm sure you have mentioned before what you use but I would be interested to know for when I eventually get around to doing my 108's.

Keep up the great work,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

I look forward to your updates, your photography is exceptional and you have captured the weathered look of that 105 brilliantly. I am looking forward to seeing this set complete as it is something different to what you normally see modelled. Do you have a picture of the real unit that you have worked from as that would also be interesting to see. I really like the pipework you have used on your DMU's it looks really good. I'm sure you have mentioned before what you use but I would be interested to know for when I eventually get around to doing my 108's.

Keep up the great work,

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark. The unit is actually not based on a real one, it's just intended to represent the rag-bag of DMUs used on Scottish services in the 80s. As I'm sure you know, the 105s were used there in the very early 80s but although the 108s were used from Waverley in 86/87 (I think), they wouldn't have run with a 105 car, especially when in the white/blue stripe livery. One day I'll get round to buying and detailing a 101 for a truly authentic look but I think a Bachmann 105/108 combination will do quite nicely in the meantime. It's true what you say though, I don't remember seeing another mixed livery DMU modelled anywhere else, I'm sure it's been done though.

I was thinking of respraying the 105 blue/grey but couldn't get the glazing out so I decided to just leave it, as plain blue is authentic for Waverley in the very early 80s anyway.

The main pipework and coupling hook I used are the ones included with the Bachmann 105. And very nice they are too, better than previous Bachmann buffer beam efforts and more on a par with the excellent Heljan efforts. For the smaller cables I used bent wire of a diameter a little bit larger than handrail wire I think (probably around 0.5mm). Hope that helps.

The aim was to create something reminiscent of this...

post-7247-023874100 1290601215_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

The 105 does look good, and you have pipework on this one.;)

Cheers Peter.

Thought I better had, Peter. There's a guy on RMWeb who keeps mentioning it. Can't remember his name now, but he has a layout based in North Wales called "Llan" something or other. ;)

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave,

That info is really interesting and that is the first picture I have seen of a 105 painted Blue grey, I had read before about a few getting this livery when in Scotland but only ever seen the pictures of them in Blue when in departmental ue in the North west. That unit will certainly look the part on your layout and capture that mixed bag look of the units around that period. And thanks for the info on the pipework as well. Having seen yours and Peters units this will help me to improve mine when I get around to it.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Hi folks,

I spent last night fitting the sound decoder into the 105 power car. It turned out to be a bit more involved than I thought, as the space Bachmann has left for the decoder is nowhere near enough for the ESU chip. Cue much cutting and filing. I eventually managed to make enough space for it by cutting away the base of the decoder space and angling the decoder above the plug. The bass reflex speaker is fitted in by cutting away the seats, leaving one seat width on either seat to reduce the visual impact. A few judiciously placed passengers and the final effect is not too bad.

Here's a photo of the fitted decoder and speaker for anyone interested...

post-7247-001024800 1290609256_thumb.jpg

The 105 is now basically finished. The 108 trailer car just needs a standard decoder fitting now, but this should be the same as my other 108s so hopefully won't be too bad.

Photos of the completed unit to follow soon (hopefully!).

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave,

That info is really interesting and that is the first picture I have seen of a 105 painted Blue grey, I had read before about a few getting this livery when in Scotland but only ever seen the pictures of them in Blue when in departmental ue in the North west. That unit will certainly look the part on your layout and capture that mixed bag look of the units around that period. And thanks for the info on the pipework as well. Having seen yours and Peters units this will help me to improve mine when I get around to it.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

There is a thread on 105 s in the prototype section and Bruce has added some nice pics of 105s at Haymarket one shows a blue grey power car I think. I must admit a blue grey 105 was a new one on me.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

That last shot of the 105 sat in the mound tunnel popped into my mind today - Funny thing with all the snow up here I attempted to get a train from Waverley today to Livi which eventually left from Platform 18, through the right hand portal of the mound to the signal just beyond. After sitting for 20 minutes the service returned back into Platform 18 from where it came due to a points failure! Shame it was only a 156 and not a 105! I think that trip must be some sort of record for the shortest jouney in Britain! Still at least my boss saw the funny side of it when I phoned her! By the way your model needs some snow sorry I didn't get any pictures but it was up to rail height today!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi folks,

The 105 power car is now finished, but the 108 has been delayed in the works, as I noticed on a test run that in the dark, there is a lot of light bleed through the white bodyshell from the interior lights. So it was back to the works for the interior to be painted to stop this.

In the meantime, I've been working away detailing one of my ScotRail 47/7s. This has had full buffer beam detailing added plus the TDM cables. I have also improved the weathering a bit. I've also ordered some of those wiggly pipes (air brake cooling?) that are fitted on one side (please excuse the technical terminology). Unfortunately these haven't come yet, so the loco has been put back on the layout without them for the time-being.

Here are a few photos of my latest projects...

First up, the "new, improved" 47715...

post-7247-054350000 1291288278_thumb.jpg

A cruel close-up showing the TDM cables and buffer beam detail...

post-7247-053041100 1291288354_thumb.jpg

post-7247-073740400 1291288309_thumb.jpg

post-7247-092353700 1291288379_thumb.jpg

Next, the 105 emerges from The Mound Tunnel on its way to Fife, ca. 1980...

post-7247-033891900 1291287971_thumb.jpg

...and at the other end...

post-7247-067590500 1291288195_thumb.jpg

post-7247-013902000 1291288595_thumb.jpg

Well, better go and do some work I suppose. Hope you like the pics. Any comments welcome!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

Hi Dave,

The DMU looks great, I like the the extra work you have done on the Shove Duff I think I need to weather my Inter City one a bit more, looks like you have done the wiper marks on the windows too.B)

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave, where is the snow? Waverley West would look good covered in snow!! :P

Really like the 47/7, which make is that please? She looks very nice. I always did like the Push-pull duffs, lovely weathering. I keep looking at the Rails of Sheffield 47461 and 47541 and really want them but not sure they quite fit in at Boxenby!

Thanks guys.

Hi Dave, where is the snow? Waverley West would look good covered in snow!! :P

Really like the 47/7, which make is that please? She looks very nice. I always did like the Push-pull duffs, lovely weathering. I keep looking at the Rails of Sheffield 47461 and 47541 and really want them but not sure they quite fit in at Boxenby!

Hi Alex,

It's a good old trusty Heljan. Must admit I do like them. Yes, they're a bit tubby from certain angles but apart from that they look the part I think. I'm sure you could come up with a good excuse or two for 47461 and 47541. They'd add some nice variety at Boxenby amongst all that railfreight grey! After all, I have 58s running through Waverley West on MGRs and I don't think they ever did that, unless you know different of course?!

I've always thought that if I ever get bored of the layout, I'd have a go at a good snowfall. I think it would look good if done properly. I don't expect to be having a go at it anytime soon though!

Cheers,

Dave

The usual question comes to mind: you've shown us pics of the real thing, when are we going to see pics of your models, Dave?? ;)

Great pics, lovely modelling.

Or, if you prefer, lovely pics, great modelling!

I love the atmosphere you create, which, together with the really good modelling techniques and good photography, really makes this layout stand out from the crowd.

Hi Dave,

26025 looks really good in that photo - I really enjoy looking at your shots of the trains running as you capture them so well. When my viaduct is finished you will need to come and take a few shots on trains passing over that whenever you are in Edinburgh. I'm glad to see so many trains running in your Ashes to Ashes time warped world - Did I possibly spot Gene Hunt at Waverley? Certainly wasn't so many trains today with the big overnight freeze! You probably ran far more than Scotrail today! Great to see your updates as always,

Thanks,

Mark