Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Those coaches look superb. I don't remember seeing the MK1s when did they get painted? I saw the MK2 set up at Inverness but that would have been early 90s.

Your fiddleyard extension sounds interesting too looking forwards to some pics.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

Those coaches look superb. I don't remember seeing the MK1s when did they get painted? I saw the MK2 set up at Inverness but that would have been early 90s.

Cheers Peter.

I think the first rake in that style was 1984 and it was generally only used on the Fort William to Mallaig line, normally steam-hauled during the summer and possibly stored at Bounds Green over the winter. From the following year the livery changed slightly to look like the Harburn Hobbies limited editions.

I think the first rake in that style was 1984 and it was generally only used on the Fort William to Mallaig line, normally steam-hauled during the summer and possibly stored at Bounds Green over the winter. From the following year the livery changed slightly to look like the Harburn Hobbies limited editions.

Thanks for that Gordon. You're right with 1984, I think.

My inspiration to do the set came from a photo I saw of double-headed Coal Sector 26s on a railtour with the stock, somewhere north of Edinburgh (which it had come from/was going to). I think it was run as part of the celebrations of the Forth Rail Bridge centenary in 1990. The stock was actually looking pretty tatty by that time but I couldn't bring myself to replicate that! I'm not sure how far across Scotland the set roamed, although as you say it was mainly used on the Fort William to Mallaig route. If I know it made it to Waverley though, that's good enough for me.

Cheers,

Dave

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. Gordon has answered your question I think. 

Hope to post some pics of the fiddle yards soon.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Couple of variations in livery in this photograph I took at Mallaig in July 1988, the BSK has the yellow line above the First Class and there are no "Dugs" on the doors.  This particular coach number is not quite visible but I note that the adjacent coach has a suffix "C", what this denoted I don't know

post-188-0-96280500-1466692289_thumb.jpg

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

i'd have to look at the Parkin mk1 book to check, but i think the 'C' suffix denoted a 'Charter' set

It was all to do with Sectorisation and some sets had an 'IC' prefix, instead of a regional one

Hi Dave,

Nice to see the set you told me you were working on. They look superb, nice paint job and the weathering is spot on. They need a visit to Rannoch in the future.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll take you up on that sometime. You provide the K1/Black Five and I'll provide the stock. :senile:  :senile:

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

i'd have to look at the Parkin mk1 book to check, but i think the 'C' suffix denoted a 'Charter' set

It was all to do with Sectorisation and some sets had an 'IC' prefix, instead of a regional one

Apologies for going back to this, but have had a chance to check Parkin.

Regional prefixes had been unnecessary since 1984, although not all coaches lost them.

In 1987 coaches were allocated to specific sector ownership. Sets such as charter and Motorail stock were given IC labels, usually as a prefix though sometimes applied above the number (and sometimes with the regional prefix still present).

The suffix 'C' denoted charter stock.

InterCity were the only sector to use these, other sectors used new liveries/logos etc.

Edited by keefer

Apologies for going back to this, but have had a chance to check Parkin.

Regional prefixes had been unnecessary since 1984, although not all coaches lost them.

In 1987 coaches were allocated to specific sector ownership. Sets such as charter and Motorail stock were given IC labels, usually as a prefix though sometimes applied above the number (and sometimes with the regional prefix still present).

The suffix 'C' denoted charter stock.

InterCity were the only sector to use these, other sectors used new liveries/logos etc.

Be my guest, keefer, thanks.

Incidentally, if I'd had a photo of those tables with the draughts and snakes and ladders, having a go at replicating them would have been very tempting! All I could see from the photos I had of the stock was that the tables appeared to be white and the vestibules good old 1980s yellow.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a small pic in Parkin - the white table tops had snakes & ladders in the centre with solitaire on the inner side and chess board nearest the window.

Edited by keefer

Hi folks,

I've been working away on my TEA tanks, so I just thought I'd show a few pics of the first one to be rolled out of Waverley West's Weathering Works. I've been trying my best to take my mind off what is happening to this country of ours. I'd better say no more than that in case I get banned.

I wanted to go to town with these and really make them pretty filthy, while at the same time leaving the BP decal just about visible to give an impression of the clean vehicle underneath the weathering. Hazard warning and other information panels have been fairly crudely cleaned.

post-7247-0-55151700-1466872748_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-77268500-1466872751_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-13198300-1466872755_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-46454300-1466872761_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-11257000-1466872944_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-89678900-1466873593_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-69851100-1466873642.jpg

Cheers 

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 13