Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi folks,

Nipped over to Princes St. Gardens earlier this evening, always a favourite spot of mine. Set the time-space displacement machine to 1988 and was lucky enough to see 47546 passing through on an inter-regional service...

attachicon.gif47546 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47546 2.jpg

Cheers

Dave

:swoon:

Drool and Multiple likes - was there many a time in the 70's

Ian

• Like 2

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a quick pitstop update.

Work on the admin buildings is progressing, with one building now fully glazed and interior walls temporarily installed.

I thought I'd use my space-time displacement machine to shrink myself to 4mm:1ft scale to see what it looked like. There's still quite a bit of work to do on this building, particularly on the inside, but it's getting there.

post-7247-0-61670200-1453898678_thumb.jpg

Edit: Here are another couple of shots of the same building...

post-7247-0-14314600-1453905147_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-26676200-1453905193_thumb.jpg

Glazing the other building is now the next job.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 14

Well, the BR logo's at the wrong end for a start :devil:

Hee, hee, yes. Both my Large Logo 47/4s only have buffer detailing at the non-logo end, so I had to put it that way round; otherwise some pedantic rivet counter, mentioning no names Stewart, would have pointed out the tension lock coupling.  :jester:

I have to say this is a great layout on many levels, one of my favourites here on RMWeb: I always jump on updates when they come along - but most of all for me I find your photography quite incredible. You always seem to catch a certain angle / degree of light that shows your work off in the best way.

For the rest of us, do you have any hints and tips on how to best portray our layouts?

• Like 1

I have to say this is a great layout on many levels, one of my favourites here on RMWeb: I always jump on updates when they come along - but most of all for me I find your photography quite incredible. You always seem to catch a certain angle / degree of light that shows your work off in the best way.

For the rest of us, do you have any hints and tips on how to best portray our layouts?

Cheers SB. That's very kind.

As regards photography, I have five golden rules which I always try to follow:

1. For normal shots, maximise the depth of field of the photograph. Set the camera to aperture priority mode (usually Av) and set the highest number you can (which minimises the aperture size and maximises the depth of field).

This can result in a longer exposure time, so you may need to rest the camera on the layout or something solid (or ideally use a tripod of course if you have one). This really is probably the most important rule of all and a shot with a shallow depth of field is unlikely to look like anything but a model. You can do this on even the cheapest of cameras I think these days. I often use the 2 second delay on my camera too to enable me to take my hands off the camera; that minimises camera shake. 

2. Think like a 4mm:1ft scale person when choosing your angle.

The vast majority of my photos are taken from board level, i.e. from the viewpoint of a miniature person on the layout. You can sometimes get away with taking shots that look like they've been taken from a bridge or the top of a building, but in most cases it's best to take shots from ground level I think. If you can look up at a loco, that can also help to create the illusion of size too.

3. Use either natural light or light from lights on the layout. Artificial light rarely makes for a truly realistic photo I think.

The lights in my railway room are not as good as I had hoped for actually and they give off a yellowish hue. I wish I had gone for daylight bulbs instead, but the windows make up for that. Different parts of the layout are lit by the sunlight at different times of the day and year (whether or not the sun is actually shining), so that's why I tend to photograph different parts of the layout at different times of the year. The depot board tends to be better lit in the winter while Waverley West tends to be lit better in the summer evenings. Unfortunately, Princes St Gardens is rarely, if ever, well lit, but you can't have everything.

4. If, like me, you're not very good at photo-editing, make sure the backscene fills the background sky (i.e. that you can't see the walls or floor of your railway room, or the like in the photo).

This is where a good backscene comes into its own and I much prefer photographic backscenes that blend in seamlessly with the layout in terms of colour and shade.

5. Be prepared to take some rubbish shots. You will only learn from them.

For every shot I post on this thread, there are plenty that are either complete rubbish or very average. That's the beauty of digital cameras, just delete 'em!

No doubt there are other rules that could be followed, but if you follow these five rules, I think you will go a long way towards taking the best pictures of your layout that you can. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

PS For speed shots, set the camera to shutter priority mode and pan the camera as the train goes by. I normally use a shutter speed of around 1/15 - 1/20th of a second with a train passing at a fairly slow speed (it will still look fast if it comes out!). Being prepared to take plenty of rubbish shots is particularly important here, as getting a good speed shot usually takes me many attempts! 

Edited by Waverley West

Great view of the sheds from the Edinburgh Tram between Haymarket and Murrayfield stops - sit on the lefthand-side facing - thought I was in the model for a moment but realised there were no 26s, 37s or 47s, shame!

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 1

Great view of the sheds from the Edinburgh Tram between Haymarket and Murrayfield stops - sit on the lefthand-side facing - thought I was in the model for a moment but realised there were no 26s, 37s or 47s, shame!

Mal

Thanks Mal. I'm off to Edinburgh at Whit and am hoping to sample the tram and the new Borders line.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Here is a quick shot of the admin buildings plonked on the layout. The exteriors of these are now more or less completed, so work is under way on the interiors now. An order from Express Models arrived this morning for the interior lights. Lots of furniture to make, which seems a bit daunting right now.

post-7247-0-20212900-1454516168_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 10