Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi again folks,

Santa was very good to me this year as he got me an ESU Mobile Control II to go with my ECoS. This means I can now control the layout from anywhere around the layout, rather than have to sit by the ECoS. With the progress I've been making with the depot, it was frustrating to have to control locos and points from the main control panel rather than using a mobile unit, so I'm really looking forward to using it. I will also be able to control 3 trains at once now, two on the main line and one shuffling around the yards.

The Mobile II is now set up and seems to be working OK (it's not exactly plug and play, especially as I had to upgrade the firmware first, but it wasn't too bad in the end). I haven't actually tried it on the layout yet but the Mobile unit seems to control the ECoS well enough when operating the same loco, so I'm looking forward to taking it up to the railway room and having a play later. I'm split as to what to do now, go and play trains or carry on with the admin buildings... Or maybe decide what I want to do in the unlikely event that I should ever grow up. I'm only 49 though, so no need to think about that too much right now really.  :jester:

post-7247-0-13358800-1451299704_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-82507700-1451299709_thumb.jpg

Hope you're all having fun playing with some shiny new trains brought by Santa!

Cheers for now,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 7

Here's a quick depot shot taken yesterday, just for the sake of it....

"Foreign" Type 5s have been removed from the layout for the moment.

attachicon.gifGeneral view 5.jpg

Quality - takes me back to '78 on a Railrover just turning up and getting in without bunking. Also the Dairy Crunch machine on Waverley was easily emptied if you had the right technique :D

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Great to see what Santa got you... lol,

Hope you had a great xmas with family and hope 2016 is much better than 2015 for both of us hey mate.

Speak again soon Dave...

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

A belated Happy New Year to everyone!!

As some of you may have noticed, I've been a bit quiet on this thread recently. I've had a bit of a health scare over the past few months, but fortunately I heard from the doctor this morning that she was no longer concerned about the possibility of the "big C", as my blood test results were all clear, which was an incredible relief. I've still got to undergo some more routine investigations but hopefully things will only get better from now on. Life hasn't been too easy recently.

I've been managing to work away on the admin buildings in an attempt to distract myself from thinking the worst, as is my wont (just ask Mrs WW!).

I have more or less finished the basic exterior and external painting is almost complete. There's a bit more detailing to do, but I will now be moving on to the interiors. I'm thinking open plan layout for most of the offices, perhaps a mess, training room, etc., etc. Any suggestions welcome!

I'm looking forward to plonking them on the layout.

Here are some 'step by step' piccies of my recent progress...

post-7247-0-32044400-1452680125_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-12691300-1452680137_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-02618400-1452680177_thumb.jpg

I think they generally shout "cheap 1970s office blocks", which was the intention. It's been pretty difficult to get clear photos of the buildings, as most shots of Haymarket depot concentrate on the loco sheds obviously. The offices are actually a lot more complicated than I have modelled them, but I think they reflect the general style and will fit in well on the layout. They are all I have space for anyway.

Here is one pic I found which shows their colouring during the late 80s, the main period I am modelling...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101242744@N07/23526013724/in/photolist-BQUYfh-fJ3egX-nVcPLu-6oySXG-xkSu35-nRXHq2-6Xpeqn-oaAhDg-eKu8XX-oaWi7k-n54cBV-fJjSQG-fBXL7Z-g7tdhD-nX9zcw-tijruB-nRXhSz-nRfo2n-nQoFmH-ti8Zwq-AFDH3V-6fr1dP-fJjTQQ-93aRmL-BsbDdd-Bsd1vG-AEeD3A-ptSLmy-yYXJJY-g7tbA2-e6WA9Z-e6WBG4-g7KwdD-fVKSp4-fVKdfb-fVK4P2-fJjTi5-fUSek9-fUS9Fs-fVK7b5-nRR6do-nRRFuD-BaCcDf-fCd67b-tg6tJv-z11MY5-99UJsv-eiptHQ-e93iTw-oGE2Wj

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 8

Terrifying events unfolding here in Cumbria this morning, folks. The sky has turned blue and a strange, incredibly bright celestial body is hanging in the sky. Cumbrians everywhere seen running for cover.

Snow on the fells too and a good weather forecast for the weekend. A fell walk in the snow might be beckoning on Saturday methinks. :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:

In the meantime, two more pics of the offices. Feathers McGraw in his milk bottle (a project for the local scarecrow festival) is not to scale by the way.

post-7247-0-15207800-1452683836_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-32727900-1452683844_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 10

Plenty of Sun here Dave. 40 degrees here today, office building looks superb too.

Sorry to hear about the health scare mate hope you are starting to feel better.

All the best Peter.

• Like 1

Plenty of Sun here Dave. 40 degrees here today, office building looks superb too.

Sorry to hear about the health scare mate hope you are starting to feel better.

All the best Peter.

40 degrees? That's the temperature of my bath water! I remember being in 45 degrees in Death Valley once. We could only manage a short walk before we had to return to the car.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Nice work, as ever, there - I have seen the inside of many a 60s and 70s office block over the years, and am pleased to see that you are modelling the outside. 

Sorry to hear that you have been ailing, and pleased that the diagnosis is not what was feared - though in the Early RIsers, there's a few who have cancer or whose close family have, or who like you have had a scare, and there's a lot of support there should you ever need it.

Happy New Year

Stewart

Hi Dave

Nice work, as ever, there - I have seen the inside of many a 60s and 70s office block over the years, and am pleased to see that you are modelling the outside. 

Sorry to hear that you have been ailing, and pleased that the diagnosis is not what was feared - though in the Early RIsers, there's a few who have cancer or whose close family have, or who like you have had a scare, and there's a lot of support there should you ever need it.

Happy New Year

Stewart

Thanks Stewart. I've often thought of chipping in over on ER but I'm not an early riser or at least I'm not able to post in the early hours. It doesn't seem to matter though and it is wonderful to see the support that people give each other on that thread. It makes you realise how important it is not to take anything for granted because you never know what lurks around the corner.

• RMweb Premium

ERs ceased to be only for those who are up early some time ago, and is now more of an active chatroom where we all respect each other, and arguments are few and far between (unlike many other threads on the site).  As there are contributors there all over the world, it's always Early Riser time somewhere.  In fact the number of posts that go on is around 3/4 pages a day.