Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Is the next construction project on the drawing ,perhaps the Forth Bridge?

Plans, plans, plans, lms. I have too many of them in the back of my mind! 

The Forth Bridge is one of them. Not as a model but as an add-on end-on backscene to a branch off the layout, as viewed from Dalmeny or North Queensferry perhaps. I would like Princes St. to end in the Haymarket Tunnels too, rather than just peter out as it does at the moment. I'd really also somehow like to include Kinghorn (Fife) and/or maybe the section of the ECML where it runs alongside the coast close to the border.

First up though is finishing off the depot, including the admin building which is next after the final shed. There's a lot of detailing of the depot to do: interior platforms, walkways, point levers, overhead crane, etc., etc.

After that the big plan is a fiddle yard, hopefully next year, preferably as a through route so that trains won't need to reverse. This should hugely increase the variety of freight trains on the layout in particular, plus add a few more passenger trains too.

After that, well, it's Oban as a separate module to the layout with 27s/37s stabled next to the Hebridean Isles ferry and McCaig's Tower in the background. 

After that, it depends very much on the balance in the space-time-money continuum and probably my life expectancy too I should think!

There are plenty of plans for improvements to the rolling stock too, coach lighting in particular. My non-air con Mk 2 rake is in urgent need of passengers and interior detailing. A push-pull 27 rake would be nice, plus some more Scottish 47/4s of course. Then there are corridor connections, which need to be fitted to all stock... and then there's Bachmann's Mk 2e's/DBSO on the horizon, etc., etc. Oh yes, and the weathering of that extra freight stock I'm hopefully going to need (a rake of TEA tankers and a rake of VDAs are next in line).

There is also a lot of detailing still to be done in the Waverley West area too and I quite fancy redoing the walls too and some of the platform canopies are looking a bit wonky.

Then there's computer control with block occupancy detection. The ECoS was a first stage in that, but that will remain on the back-burner for a little while now.

There's no shortage of ideas for the future, that's for sure!  In fact, I probably won't be satisfied until I've modelled the whole of Scotland's railways.  :scratchhead:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 6

Leaving Waverley West on a DMU at the end of a long evening, I managed to sit behind the driver and got a good view of the local red light district as we followed a succession of reds through Princes Street Gardens...

post-7247-0-59337100-1445981639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 11

"The Forth Bridge is one of them. Not as a model but as an add-on end-on backscene to a branch off the layout, as viewed from Dalmeny or North Queensferry perhaps. I would like Princes St. to end in the Haymarket Tunnels too, rather than just peter out as it does at the moment. I'd really also somehow like to include Kinghorn (Fife) and/or maybe the section of the ECML where it runs alongside the coast close to the border"

Kinghorn would be good, Aberdour in the 80s difficult due to the fact it used to win station of the year with its many many plants and flower beds. How about Inverkeithing, more trains than Kinghorn as it was located before the branch spilt to Dunfermline. It handily has a road bridge at one end and a tunnel at the other for scenic breaks, or a shortened version could use the road bridge at either end as scenic breaks. A nice s curve track layout. In the 80s the station buildings were upgraded giving you the choice of two buildings on Plt 2.

Edited by Waverley47708

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but I accidently left-clicked and dragged this photo and this is what happened:-

post-12815-0-09503400-1445988278.png

I swear, I did nothing else!

Kev.

(The original photo of yours is another stunning 'classic', in my book, of which this thread has more than its fair share.)

• Like 10

Dave, not much you can say really, first class. Loving the latest photos, 47546 looks right at home, superb!

I really like the one with 37693 and the 26, quality!

Once your depot is finished, I doubt very much you will leave your train room!

Found this and thought of WW:

Image17-1-M.jpg

• Like 10

Nice idea, Bath Road does have some nice buildings to model. Problem is Jeff that I also think that Immingham, March, Thornaby and Shirebrook would make great layouts!

I remember Bath road back in the day but I have alway thought Shirebrook would be a great layout.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I remember Bath road back in the day but I have alway thought Shirebrook would be a great layout.

Cheers Peter.

Agreed. There was an excellent website that had all the original BR plans and drawings, might have been www.shirebrookdepot.co.uk, I remember at the time thinking that I should ask if it would be possible to have a copies for a possible future project.

It has since disappeared of the net!

Sorry for going off topic Dave.

• Like 1

Your plans sound brilliant the Oban branch will be a project to watch its a very interesting place especially the era you are going to model I have a dvd of the line and it a pretty part of the world.Running 26,s and all the freight that ran then will provide an interesting layout ,but your plans for Waverley are interesting I noticed on the BBC news website that Haymarket station has won an award from an archetects  group for the work carrie out,crack on with everything its great watching your progress.

Agreed. There was an excellent website that had all the original BR plans and drawings, might have been www.shirebrookdepot.co.uk, I remember at the time thinking that I should ask if it would be possible to have a copies for a possible future project.

It has since disappeared of the net!

Sorry for going off topic Dave.

Hi Alex,

I am sure it would be somewhere. My mate John Dedman has some nice pics of Shirebrook on Flickr. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

The depot is looking superb. Its nice to see the prototype photos of Haymarket too as I've only ever known it from 2000 onwards with 158's, 170's and the odd 156. Interested by your fife plans as I spent 3 years travelling between Haymarket and Kirkcaldy.

All the best

Mark