Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Ha ha ha hablink.gif Your as bonkers as me. Very good though, should improve the operation no end. Next you'll be making a start on the Waverley drivers linkshuh.gif .

As you have been away, the Calisport links and loco diagrams have been done for your interest. Click the links. Also PCM has a fantastic loco hauled book from 1986 with headcodes and diagrams, which he kindly scanned for me. May also be of use to you.

Assume you have now done the climb out of Beddgelert with Garratt powersmile.gif Did you catch the midland interloper on the Cambrian Coast then?

cheerio

Claggy

The signals are fully operational with working theatres and call-on signals. They were made by Roger Murray. I don't actually have a signal panel, as all the signals are controlled through the route setting function on my ZTC511. When I select a route, all the points and signals for that route are set automatically. In the future I'd like to install block detection and possibly computer control, possibly using a new control system but that's a project for the future for now.

PS The 107 is superb, highly recommended!

Wow that sounds amazing (like the rest of your layout). Do you have a video showing them in action?

I received my class 107 a few days ago and as you rightly say it is a very nice model - especially compared to my other old Limas! smile.gif

Here's a couple of photos of it on my local club layout:

post-9250-128165636416.jpg

post-9250-128165638107.jpg

The decision to go for 1986 has meant that I need a new HST in the original InterCity Executive livery. This has now entered the works, although progress so far has been limited to the interiors of the coaches. I'm respraying some spare blue/grey coaches I already had, so I'm currently wondering how best to do the silver window frames of the InterCity livery neatly. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Don't know if you could stoop so low as to use Lima on your layout but their mk3s are pretty good and they produced them in the original executive livery with "InterCity 125" on the sides. I have a full 9 car rake and it doesn't look that bad. I'm sure with your skills you could make them look the part!

Stu

• Like 3

The decision to go for 1986 has meant that I need a new HST in the original InterCity Executive livery. This has now entered the works, although progress so far has been limited to the interiors of the coaches. I'm respraying some spare blue/grey coaches I already had, so I'm currently wondering how best to do the silver window frames of the InterCity livery neatly. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

hi dave

i use Tamiya paint markers, they are spot on for doing that m8.

http://www.tamiya.co...ss/kit89001.htm

post-6809-128165776202.jpg

• Like 2

Wow that sounds amazing (like the rest of your layout). Do you have a video showing them in action?

I received my class 107 a few days ago and as you rightly say it is a very nice model - especially compared to my other old Limas! smile.gif

Here's a couple of photos of it on my local club layout:

post-9250-128165636416.jpg

post-9250-128165638107.jpg

Don't know if you could stoop so low as to use Lima on your layout but their mk3s are pretty good and they produced them in the original executive livery with "InterCity 125" on the sides. I have a full 9 car rake and it doesn't look that bad. I'm sure with your skills you could make them look the part!

Stu

Hi Stu,

I'll do a video of the signals in action. Nice photos!

Re. the Mk 3s, I'm actually respraying some "old" (i.e. old, but new style) Hornby Mk 3s that I already have in blue/grey. The Lima ones look OK but I've never been keen on the glazing compared with the new Hornby version. It would be nice to see Hornby improve their version further too really (especially tinted glazing and NEM coupling sockets) but that's probably asking too much.

hi dave

i use Tamiya paint markers, they are spot on for doing that m8.

http://www.tamiya.co...ss/kit89001.htm

Carl, that's brilliant. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Cheers! good_mini.gif good_mini.gif

Hi folks,

I put this post on a separate Wheeltapper's thread, but I thought I'd put it here too to maximise exposure:

I'm doing the Great North Run (half-marathon) on September 19th for Children with Leukaemia, and am looking to raise as much money as possible for this worthy cause.

I have a minimum target of £350 to raise, so please sponsor me as much as you can!

Any donation you can give would be very gratefully received, not just by me of course but also by the charity itself and all the children they do so much to help.

You can donate via the following webpage:

http://uk.virginmone....com/DavidSegar

Virgin Money Giving is a non-profit making site. Alternatively, you could send me your donation direct to me - please PM me for details.

As you can imagine, the training is seriously starting to make inroads on my modelling time, but the cause and the challenge make it all worthwhile. I have done a few half-marathons before so I know what's involved but this will be the first one I have done for a couple of years.

With thanks in advance for whatever donation you can give.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

PS This post has been cleared with Andy Y.

Hi Stu,

I'll do a video of the signals in action. Nice photos!

Re. the Mk 3s, I'm actually respraying some "old" (i.e. old, but new style) Hornby Mk 3s that I already have in blue/grey. The Lima ones look OK but I've never been keen on the glazing compared with the new Hornby version. It would be nice to see Hornby improve their version further too really (especially tinted glazing and NEM coupling sockets) but that's probably asking too much.

Dave,

Yes I agree the glazing is not great - then again the Hornby ones aren't much better, as they use the old Lima moldings anyway. How long will it be till someone makes a better model of the mk3s?? It's a real gripe for me! angry.gif

With regard to the 107: I need to get into it to make minor adjustments to one of the lights, but I'm not sure how to open her up. Don't want to damage her! Do you have any pointers on how to do this?

Cheers

Stu

Dave,

Yes I agree the glazing is not great - then again the Hornby ones aren't much better, as they use the old Lima moldings anyway. How long will it be till someone makes a better model of the mk3s?? It's a real gripe for me! angry.gif

With regard to the 107: I need to get into it to make minor adjustments to one of the lights, but I'm not sure how to open her up. Don't want to damage her! Do you have any pointers on how to do this?

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes, some improved Mk 3s would be nice. An InterCity version with the right shade of InterCity pale grey would be a nice start though. My main wish as regards coaching stock though is for new air-con Mk 2s (and a Mk 1 sleeper). I find it hard to believe we're seeing all these early relatively obscure diesel locos being produced without anyone doing any decent coaching stock from the past 50 years, Bachmann Mk 1 excepted.

Re. the 107 -

Remove the three screws underneath the chassis. After that, it's really just a question of carefully prising the body off the chassis. At each end of the coach, the glazing panels have clips which clip over lugs on the chassis. If you prise open the side of the body on one side (starting at the corridor connection end say), you should be able to release this clip and open the body slightly on one side. Repeat this on the other side and one end of the body should now come away from the chassis. Now do the same at the other end. That should do it. I learned from bitter experience on my first blue/grey one (I broke the clip), but fortunately I don't think it's too noticeable as the body still sits OK. rolleyes.gif

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi folks,

It's been a bit quiet on the modelling front recently for various reasons. A major reason is my 1986 timetable, which is very much still a "work in progress". 23 pages and 400 arrivals/departures down, "just" 76 pages of the working timetable to go now. Hmmm.

This situation probably isn't going to change much in the near future, so in the meantime, seeing as I haven't posted any "speed pics" recently, I thought I'd do a few...

post-7247-128266422451_thumb.jpg

post-7247-128266455761_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 4

Guest jim s-w

Hi Dave

Working timetables are good but try and get hold of the station working books if you can. These detail all movements from timbetabled trains through to light locos and even to where to shunt parcels vans to/from.

HTH

Jim

Hi Dave

Working timetables are good but try and get hold of the station working books if you can. These detail all movements from timbetabled trains through to light locos and even to where to shunt parcels vans to/from.

HTH

Jim

Thanks for that, Jim. Will do. They sound useful.

Cheers,

Dave

Guest jim s-w

Hi Dave

I'll keep my eyes open for you - they are a PITA to find! If you find any New Street ones let me know

Cheers

Jim

Hi Dave

I'll keep my eyes open for you - they are a PITA to find! If you find any New Street ones let me know

Cheers

Jim

I certainly will Jim. Just had a quick look on e-bay - Bristol TM and Paddington only at the moment. Grrrr. Will keep looking.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Dave

I've just got to going through some of the layout threads while I'm housebound with a broken hip, and am working down the threads, and have just got to yours - my first reaction on seeing the photos at the start of the thread is that I've gone back in a time warp, and just fallen out of Jinglin Geordies pub and on to Waverley bridge, so realistic are the images - I'll read the thread in full tomorrow when time permits, and will probably get back to you - like I said to Jim S-W, not my era, but I can certainly recognise quality modelling of the 1980s when I was travelling a lot, but not really paying attention in any great detail to what I was travelling in!

Regards for now

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Dave

I'll read the thread in full tomorrow when time permits, and will probably get back to you

Stewart

Well, I've spent most of the morning reading the thread, and also looking in considerable awe at the photos and the video clips. I actually went backwards through the pages (why I don't know) and was actually beginning to think that you are Dr Who and that what you've been doing is popping back in time to take some photos and videos and are posting them on here. Then I saw how you've shoehorned the whole thing into a boxroom at home.

I am, to say the least, really inpressed with what you've achieved here. I am not going to repeat the plaudits and superlatives as these have all been said previously, and instead will share with you just what your layout invoked in my memory.

As a kid, I used to visit my auntie in Edinburgh, and used to be allowed to go down to Princes Street Gardens off the No 15 bus, to scramble behind the bushes and up to the railings, to watch the trains - I either stood there, or on the Mound footbridge, and watched the old roller blind route indicators as they rolled round to show the plaform for the next working - but it was a disappointment if what emerged from the Mound tunnel was a diesel - the arrival of the Swindon Inter City from Glasgow was not welcomed. As you might guess, that was in the early 1960s. However, Princes St Gardens and the station throat have not changed all that much over the years.

As a traveller, I used Waverley a lot for business travel in the 1980s and what I've seen on your thread is virtually what I remember of it then - but I have to say that any later visits to Edinburgh did not involve Waverley - luckily you can show me here what it was like in Sectorisation and post sectorisation days.

My one disappointment is that I see that this is a stay at home layout, so I won't be able to see it in the flesh (or are you open to visitors - you do live fairly close to me?).

You and some of the others on here (Jim S-W and Captain Kernow to name but two) have actually inspired me, and have also prompted Mrs 45156 to say that perhaps I should have a go myself - so that is just what I plan to do - thanks for the enouragement.

Kind regards

Stewart

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

You and some of the others on here (Jim S-W and Captain Kernow to name but two) have actually inspired me, and have also prompted Mrs 45156 to say that perhaps I should have a go myself - so that is just what I plan to do - thanks for the enouragement.

Result! Go team! :P

Great stuff Stewart - get stuck in! Remember plenty of advice on here and there are no daft questions.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Result! Go team! :P

Great stuff Stewart - get stuck in! Remember plenty of advice on here and there are no daft questions.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim - to get encouragement like I'm getting on here is the impetus that I've needed - so as soon as the gammy leg gets better, I'm off the the garage to get the framing of the baseboard sorted out, as I've got plenty of ply and MDF for the main boards, and I also have an idea in mind for modelling the station that I first went spotting at, on a long closed Scottish branchline - I'm not aiming for anything like the detail that you, Dave, and others on here have achieved, but I'm certainly up for it - modellers licence will reign supreme, as I don't think an ex LMS branch ever saw a 4-CEP!

Stewart

Now back on thread, re Waverley West, I thought I saw a kettle lurking in one of the phots - as a sop to us died in the wool steam fans? - or was it just that 60009 was passing through on a move to or from Thornton? A few steam specials passing through would be most interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim - to get encouragement like I'm getting on here is the impetus that I've needed - so as soon as the gammy leg gets better, I'm off the the garage to get the framing of the baseboard sorted out, as I've got plenty of ply and MDF for the main boards, and I also have an idea in mind for modelling the station that I first went spotting at, on a long closed Scottish branchline - I'm not aiming for anything like the detail that you, Dave, and others on here have achieved, but I'm certainly up for it - modellers licence will reign supreme, as I don't think an ex LMS branch ever saw a 4-CEP!

Stewart

Now back on thread, re Waverley West, I thought I saw a kettle lurking in one of the phots - as a sop to us died in the wool steam fans? - or was it just that 60009 was passing through on a move to or from Thornton? A few steam specials passing through would be most interesting.

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Spare time has been a bit limited recently to say the least, hence the lack of postings recently. Anyway, I look forward to your layout thread!

As regards a kettle. yes, there is a kettle on Waverley West, in fact several make appearances from time to time. 60009 is the overwhelming favourite. Back in the early 80s, I was lucky enough to visit her when she was at Markinch and she's been a favourite of mine ever since. My version of her is actually in the works at the moment undergoing some slight improvements (fitting of red nameplates, the transfer on the cabside plus a little T-cutting perhaps to give her a more realistic finish. She will be back soon though. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested. She is used on railtours. My other steamies are 6233 Duchess of Sutherland, another favourite, and 4936 Kinlet Hall. I am currently trying to resist a new Hornby castle. I could easily be tempted by the forthcoming Tintagle Castle.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Guest jim s-w

Hi Dave

Is steam allowed at the real location? The station is very similar to BNS which is classed as an underground station and as such Steam is banned.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Dave

Is steam allowed at the real location? The station is very similar to BNS which is classed as an underground station and as such Steam is banned.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is. In fact I think steam tours are relatively frequent occurrences there.

Not quite sure why Waverley should be treated differently as it is very similar to BNS as you say.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is a bit of a modern view taken on Monday and not the best platform to get at especially with the barriers and police cordon around the train but just in case you ever run this era you might want to replicate the Royal train with its rather fancy additions on the front for Prince Charles tour of Britain! The main view of course is rather different since all the cantenary has gone up as well. Jim - steam does run in and out of Waverley - never seen one in the station myself despite being up here for over 10 years now. The charters that I have seen with WCRC locos on always seem to get put in the island paltform lines on the south side of the station alongside market street which does give you a good vantage point if they are heading south via the ECML route.

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-094858200 1283995786_thumb.jpg

post-6863-061545300 1283995836_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Is it just a roof or is there something on top with people inside? Perhaps thats the difference?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

I think the roof is probably quite a bit higher than BNS. There isn't anything on top of the roof, although there are buildings on Waverley Bridge itself.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for those shots. Always nice to see photos of the station in any era.

Hi folks,

I've finally managed to do a bit more modelling recently. The 1986 timetable is now pretty much finished - all 37 pages of it! At a rough guess I'd say it contains around 500 arrivals/departures per day. Should be enough to keep me occupied. :D It's based on a Friday in August 1986.

The interiors of my HST Mk 3s are now finished and the bodies have entered the paintshop. More on this as they progress.

The dummy point motors in the station/Princes St. Gardens section are now ready for glueing down. These are the Peco ones and replace the old Knightwing ones which weren't as accurate. The Peco ones look the part I think and compare well with ones I've seen at Waverley, not to mention everywhere else.

Here are some pics seeing as I haven't posted any for a while...

A rather grubby 37693 at speed on the 6B66 13.30 Speedlink service from Perth to Millerhill.

post-7247-009072900 1284023614_thumb.jpg

post-7247-082672800 1284022766_thumb.jpg

150 285 on a service to Dundee...

post-7247-036905200 1284022788_thumb.jpg

post-7247-036053700 1284022817_thumb.jpg

post-7247-043800400 1284022867_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

I Iike the latest pics,:D now you have the timetable done, have you worked out how much extra stock you are going to need. It's surprising how many loco's go through a busy station. I don't envy Jim, BNS was really busy.

When I was working out the timetable for Llanbourne I had to cut back on some of the Euston trains but did add an extra Cardiff service to allow for an extra class 33.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave, great photos as always. I especially like the sprinter 2 in the station, it really does look good. Waverley certainly looked busy when you were there taking the photos!

I remember when I was working on timetables for Grimley and just as Peter said, it was quite surprising just how much stock was required to run it prototypically. Quite scary in fact!

Never did finish off the timetable although it was pretty close. There was no where near enough passenger stock to run the timetable!

Perhaps in 2020 when Boxenby has been finished I will add some running lines by the side of the depot to allow trains to run passed!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave - thanks for the new pix - just been over on Claggy's thread as well, and wonder when we'll see some through workings to Caolisport - your two layouts just about epitomise blue diesel Scotland.

• Like 1