Wiring a Peco Electrofrog Point

Sir Madog

This question may have been asked many times before, yet I was unable to find an answer which I understand.

My N scale layout requires points which are only available as "Electrofrogs". It´ll be a DC only layout, so DCC does not add to the complication. Can I use these points "right out of the box, or do I need to wire them separately ? If so, how?

HI

Are you the same Sir M from GSCALESCENTRAL??

Re electrofrog points

No special wiring is required, BUT you must remeber the GOLDEN rule power must only reach the point at the TOE end ( The narrow end)

The use of insulated rail joiners is required at the other end of the point to prevent power reaching the point from the 'wrong' end and thus causing short circuits.

EG in a simply passing loop, the 4 rails of the tracks between the 2 points need insulating R Joiners at some place within the loop. the position is not critical it can be close to the points or perhaps at the halfway mark in the loop.

If you have a siding from a point there is no requirement to use insul joiners on the siding section as power will only reach the siding when the point is set for it!

The points should have a leaflet in them explaining all this worth studying as it explains all the above.

I may have a leaflet somewhere let me know if you want me to post to you

Sreve

Thank you so much - that really helps! I am a complete goof when it comes to wiring & electricals. A good friend of mine usually took care of that, as he is an electrician by trade. Unfortunately, he moved house is not within reach anymore ...

No I am not the Sir M from GSCALECENTRAL.

Thank you so much - that really helps! I am a complete goof when it comes to wiring & electricals. A good friend of mine usually took care of that, as he is an electrician by trade. Unfortunately, he moved house is not within reach anymore ...

No I am not the Sir M from GSCALECENTRAL.

Hi,

Have a look here,

www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm#Points

Archived