Heljan 'OO' DP2

Mike at C&M

Hi All. Going to be ordering one of these Heljan DP2s Just like to ask the question witch livery do you think looks the best? The all over green or the to tone green with white windows. Both look great to me was going for the green but then checked out the to tone Both would be nice apart from the cost what do you think

I bought the ttg because I think it looks better, but both are nice models. I may be wrong, but I have the impression it ran for longer in the earlier plain green livery. That doesn't bother me because DP2 forms a part of my collection of prototypes and one-offs that don't really fit in with my layout anyway ... I just like them and run them occasionally!!

Others that I own in this category include Kestrel, Lion, Falcon, Deltic, 57 601 and 10203. Of these, only 10203 fits in with my Southern-based theme!

I bought the ttg because I think it looks better, but both are nice models. I may be wrong, but I have the impression it ran for longer in the earlier plain green livery. That doesn't bother me because DP2 forms a part of my collection of prototypes and one-offs that don't really fit in with my layout anyway ... I just like them and run them occasionally!!

Others that I own in this category include Kestrel, Lion, Falcon, Deltic, 57 601 and 10203. Of these, only 10203 fits in with my Southern-based theme!

10203....????????

I'm still waiting for Kernow to tell us what is happening with the model they announced about 4 years ago.   I lived in Crewe in the 50's and it was the first main line diesel I ever saw, around 1955 as a 7 year old.  I would love one of these for sentimental reasons.

Bob

PS.........I bought the green DP2.....the ttg one is too much like a Deltic.........again, I remember it through Crewe a few years after 10203....but just in green

My 10203 is a brass Modern Traction Kits body on a much modified Mainline Peak chassis. The Kernow model will be much better, when it eventually comes. I'm not even sure I'll still be alive then!!  ;) :D

Hi All. Just a couple of photo's of the newly arrived DP2 on its first test run on the loft layout. I only have setrack curves up there but they are 3rd and forth rad so all's ok on the curves. Its a superb locomotive runs like a swiss watch and i am very pleased to have it. Think Lion is on the cards next.

post-6767-0-81150200-1415544073_thumb.jpg

post-6767-0-09425200-1415544103_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

My 10203 is a brass Modern Traction Kits body on a much modified Mainline Peak chassis. The Kernow model will be much better, when it eventually comes. I'm not even sure I'll still be alive then!!   ;) :D

Hi SRman

I built one of those. After much effing and jeffing as I burnt my fingers trying to solder it, I ran it on the layout and it walloped the canopies on the fuel point. I measured it and found it too tall. The additional height was in the preformed body, so there was no way to take it out. So I scratch built a new body from plastic card. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67306-10203-where-did-it-run/?p=930307 All that remains of the MTK kit are the buffer beams and the little box thingies between the bogies.

Hi Clive. 10203 is the tallest item I own! When I am setting heights of over-track structures, this locomotive is the yardstick that sets the minimum clearance measurements. The real ones were pretty tall, but not quite as high as the model's scale height. I seem to recall it comes out at 51mm above rail-top in height, a scale 12' 9".

:D

Apologies that I have diverted the topic slightly: 10203 was sort of a predecessor to DP2  and the class 50s, though, so there is a tentative link.

• 1 year later...

I took delivery of mine today and, whilst it runs quite happily on most of my layout, it is giving trouble over certain points - The loco is much less tolerant of changes in level than almost any other loco I possess. After checking the loco through a ladder of Peco code 100 small and medium radius turnouts, the bogie dropped into one of the small radius turnouts, so I checked the back to back and noticed that the wheels are to a much narrower profile than usual - which I take to be the cause. I am a bit reluctant to start hacking the loco about until I see what conclusions others come to. The radii of my layout curves does not, of itself appear to be the problem, rather the catching of the coupling pocket on the buffer beam and also track variations causing the catching of the bogie on the small plastic extention on the lower body side - I'm not sure of the technical description of what it represents.

I'll be interested to see the suggested modifications. I can accept the body compromises/faults, but only if it can be a reliable traction unit.

Colin

Colin,

I suspect that somewhere on the site lies the solution to the DP2 derailing, however I have just bought 2, encountered the problem and thus far think the problem lies with the body fouling the bogies so causing the wheels to jump the rail. I reach this conclusion by taking off the body (this leaves the chassis with the buffer beam and pipes, though not the buffers, in place) and discovering that there was no derailing at all. I am now going to locate that part of the bogie/body that causes the problem. If anyone else has located this, please do let me know.

Mark

Colin,

I suspect that somewhere on the site lies the solution to the DP2 derailing, however I have just bought 2, encountered the problem and thus far think the problem lies with the body fouling the bogies so causing the wheels to jump the rail. I reach this conclusion by taking off the body (this leaves the chassis with the buffer beam and pipes, though not the buffers, in place) and discovering that there was no derailing at all. I am now going to locate that part of the bogie/body that causes the problem. If anyone else has located this, please do let me know.

Mark

Heljan have tried to keep scale wheel diameters and correct body to bogie height. They do via very narrow wheels and groves cut into the lower chassis. While maintaining the good looks, it does make it sensitive to changes in level.

Bachmann used different techniques.

Deltic Prototype - underscale wheels buy correct body to bogie height

Production Deltic - scale wheels but incorrect (higher) body to bogie height.

Neither solution is perfect though I feel - personally - the Deltic prototype is the best compromise.

I am now going to locate that part of the bogie/body that causes the problem. If anyone else has located this, please do let me know...

For the model designer the principal difficulty with the design of the prototype is the tops of the wheels inside the body work. There should be witness marks where they have made contact inside the model's bodywork if that's the cause of your derailment problem; but among other things Heljan distorted the nose end body form to avoid this happening.

The other thing to check is whether any aspect of the model construction limits the bogie swing once the body is in place (and look out for any limitation in pitch too); on either end, or both ends. Should be able to assess that visually in a body off / body on comparison.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know who does a set etched works-plates for the DP2?

Shawplan do some for deltics so just about to put a set on mine once iv finished it in blue. Think the plates are actually for RSG (Brian once told me what number is on the plates but i forget)You cant tell unless you look very very closely it isnt DP2

• RMweb Gold

DP2 managed to hang around until early autumn 1970 when what was left of it was cut up, probably at Vulcan. There is a photo of it somewhere on this site in this state minus one cab.

You'll mean this one? According to my notes, this was taken 23rd August 1970.

post-7024-0-13914500-1481833654.jpg

By the way, I counted it as a cop.

Given it was gashed up one side from the accident, and the cab is pretty unique, I wonder why it was removed ?

I wonder if they were thinking to repair it ?

Possibly removed to see how the structure had deformed in the crash.

I thought it was pretty much a standard Deltic body modified to fit the 16CSVT engine so the cabs would have been 'normal' Deltic ones.

Archived