Heljan 'OO' DP2

Mike at C&M

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing that it was still 'railworthy' after the crash when so much stuff gets moved around by road these days!

Different time, different rules!

That picture does show how the cabside window is angled in and is not in line with the sides.

I wonder if the front bogie is the original, or a spare 37 one fitted to move the loco back to Vulcan works?

I'm pretty sure that will be the original bogie under the tarp on the lowmac.

If you check the other pic of DP2 transiting back to the works in that same set all the ancillaries seem to have been stripped from the nearest bogie. (It shows the opposite side of the bogie)

Looking at this pic;

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0206.htm

it would seem that DP2 was recovered as far as York on it's original.

Porcy

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I'm all DP2'd out at the moment, so if this is on the wrong thread, I apologise. I seem to recall that one of the posters on this thread suggested some comparison shots between the Heljan DP2 and Bachmann Deltic.

Well, since I've finished work on my Bachmann/Silver Fox DP2, I managed to get a loan of the Heljan version for an afternoon.

My friend John runs 53a models here in Hull and suprisingly, he let me loose on this model for an afternoon but it has now been returned to him in one piece. Thanks to John for the loan though.

I must stress that I am posting these pictures for comparison only. I do not intend to start a debate, or argument and I am not going to pass comment on the Heljan model as, I have posted my thoughts on it earlier in the thread.

Right, here they are.....

post-6920-0-28472400-1349117874_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-52421900-1349117910_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-74778000-1349117930.jpg

post-6920-0-04202900-1349117956_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-76088000-1349117978_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-67144800-1349118003_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-96418300-1349118027_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-13066800-1349118054_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-75008100-1349118082_thumb.jpg

One thing I did notice and which was commented on earlier was that the Heljan wheels are extremely fine and the flanges are virtually non existant. Whilst this is a plus point, I did have some difficulty getting all six axles on the track even on straight track. despite this, the bogies do look very good and the ride height is smashing.

Anywho, enjoy the pictures.

Cheers.

Sean.

Bob: Where you can see the headcode, the Heljan one has 1E14. From that, you can tell it has the straight edges to the grey roof where the Silver Fox one has the (more correct) taper and the Heljan one shows a lot more white 'land' at either side of the windscreens (what some have termed 'light bulbing' to the shape of the upper cab).

For all that, the errors, while fairly obvious in a side-by-side comparison like this, are not too noticeable to me in service and the model does run superbly (although I have no doubt that Penguin's Bachmann powered kit also runs extremely well - some nice kit-building and finishing there).

Thanks for posting the pics, Sean. They do make an interesting comparison. :)

That is not a Silver Fox DP2 - I thought Sean used a Bachmann Deltic, heavily modified?

Regardless - it looks smashing and bob on for DP2 compared to Heljans excellent (but flawed) effort.

Edit - too early in the morning it seems, you do say its Sean's Bachmann one in your last sentence! Apologies.

That is not a Silver Fox DP2 - I thought Sean used a Bachmann Deltic, heavily modified?

Regardless - it looks smashing and bob on for DP2 compared to Heljans excellent (but flawed) effort.

Edit - too early in the morning it seems, you do say its Sean's Bachmann one in your last sentence! Apologies.

Hi S.A.C.

Just to clarify for everyone. Mine is a Bachmann Deltic body with Silver Fox sides grafted in and a scratch built roof.

I am led to believe the Silver Fox measurements were taken from the Bachmann Deltic moulding during developments, but the nose detail was different on the Silver Fox moulding for some reason. So, in my quest for uniformity with my Deltic noses, this is how I came to build my model.

Hope this clears up any confusion and thanks for all the positive comments.

Cheers.

Sean.

Fantastic job there Sean. That's the finest looking DP2 I've seen

Damn, you have just made me put this project back on my modelling table.

One thing...... you forgot the handrail above the front windows :diablo_mini: he he he

Tony

Fantastic job there Sean. That's the finest looking DP2 I've seen

Damn, you have just made me put this project back on my modelling table.

One thing...... you forgot the handrail above the front windows :diablo_mini: he he he

Tony

Ah but Tony, if you check out my thread, you'll see she has the handrail now. I took the photos just before final completion so she's missing the hand rail and the nose end steps.....

Sorry..... B-)

Seriously though, thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers.

Sean.

You had me worried there for a moment, Simon. I thought that maybe I'm going a little loopy but I knew I saw Silver Fox somewhere in Sean's post! :D

Ah but Tony, if you check out my thread, you'll see she has the handrail now. I took the photos just before final completion so she's missing the hand rail and the nose end steps.....

Just looked at your thread

Sean you have inspired me!

I have taken the bachy 55 out of the press (again) and started carving her up. Correct DP2 here I come :-)

Where did you get the roof details?

Thanks

Tony

Just looked at your thread

Sean you have inspired me!

I have taken the bachy 55 out of the press (again) and started carving her up. Correct DP2 here I come :-)

Where did you get the roof details?

Thanks

Tony

The bad news is Tony, I scratch built the roof section using a combination of plasticard, wire and plastic rod. The roof fan grill is a combination of Shawplan class 50 blades with correct size class 37/40 grill and the rivet detail is from Archers rivet strips. The cant rail grills and the exhaust ports are from the Craftsman conversion kit and were purchased as seperate items from Craftsman.

I'm happy to send you a drawing of the correct layout if you need it and any help I can offer to you or others, well, just pm me.

I'm really pleased to have inspired you and a few others to have a go at this conversion and glad that people seem to like my efforts.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 2 months later...

Finally succumbed to the temptation yesterday . What a lovely model.!!!

I was almost put off by reading some of the criticisms on this thread, but for my eyes it was perfect. I sometimes don't know whether to admire or worry about those that criticise such imperfections as found in this thread.

However, I must, and do accept that there are far more discerning folk than me. And I suppose that without critics, the general quality of our models would be lower than it is.

But is the model ok for the majority of purchasers . Or do the majority criticise it I wonder.

Finally succumbed to the temptation yesterday . What a lovely model.!!!

I was almost put off by reading some of the criticisms on this thread, but for my eyes it was perfect. I sometimes don't know whether to admire or worry about those that criticise such imperfections as found in this thread.

However, I must, and do accept that there are far more discerning folk than me. And I suppose that without critics, the general quality of our models would be lower than it is.

But is the model ok for the majority of purchasers . Or do the majority criticise it I wonder.

It does look superb except if you look closely at its nose. The cab edges do look a bit bulbous. Doesn't show up as much in the original all green livery as the two tome with white windows version. Every other view is just fabulous. I just love the way it sits so low on its bogies. I'll possiably try to get round to modifying my Bachmann Deltics to sit lower as although I'm modelrailwayless at the moment, the new layout wont have any curves sharper than a peco streamline short point.

It does look superb except if you look closely at its nose. The cab edges do look a bit bulbous. Doesn't show up as much in the original all green livery as the two tome with white windows version. Every other view is just fabulous. I just love the way it sits so low on its bogies. I'll possiably try to get round to modifying my Bachmann Deltics to sit lower as although I'm modelrailwayless at the moment, the new layout wont have any curves sharper than a peco streamline short point.

I must admit to not being a Deltic expert.......I just try to create an LMS theme of 50s / 60s essentially.....so the DP2 looks great to me in all aspects.  I cant get Hypercritical about detail like some in this thread, for me, the quality of running and reliability is paramount, and I can get over detail differences.  I appreciate to some its not possible to live with these detail differences, but I suspect they are very much in the minority, and many of them have the skills therefore to make the alterations, or build a better one from scratch or a kit.?   I totally respect their abilities, as long as they respect the fact I am satisfied with whats on offer.....we all have different priorities.

Bob

... I'll possibly try to get round to modifying my Bachmann Deltics to sit lower ...

Very simple on the majority of Bach diesel models with the bogies secured by a screw into the top of the bogie pivot, including this one. Undo the screw, drop bogie out. There is a circular table or platform near the top of the pivot post, with a raised land round the edge. Cut this land down by the amount you want to drop the ride height. On some models it is necessary to make the pivot post slimmer so that it goes up further through the hole in the chassis block also.

Be aware though that intrinsic to the Deltic design with the wheel tops inside the body work of a tapering vehicle end, is that this feature limits how much bogie swing is possible before the wheel tops start fouling bodywork. Bachmann have fitted a narrow tyred front wheelset, a better compromise than Heljan's choice of not tapering the bodywork. With the body correct height above bogies the Bachmann model will still manage the 30" minimum radius I require, not sure how much smaller a radius is possible before the machining of bodywork noises start...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

With the amount of undeserved flak Heljan, and other model railway manufacturers receive on this forum by the modelling mafia, I'm surprised that some of them don't pull the plug and move out of the UK market. Who could blame them if they did? No one forces you to buy these models. If you want the perfect loco, scratch build it yourself and then you'll see just how hard it is to reproduce. I've scratch built O gauge diesels and it's frigging hard to get them right. It would make such a nice change to read positive appraisals of new releases rather than the usual miserable nit picking and rivet counting discussions. I'm sure most will hotly disagree with me (nowt new there) but you should hear yourselves.

Simon

With the amount of undeserved flak Heljan, and other model railway manufacturers receive on this forum by the modelling mafia, I'm surprised that some of them don't pull the plug and move out of the UK market. Who could blame them if they did? No one forces you to buy these models. If you want the perfect loco, scratch build it yourself and then you'll see just how hard it is to reproduce. I've scratch built O gauge diesels and it's frigging hard to get them right. It would make such a nice change to read positive appraisals of new releases rather than the usual miserable nit picking and rivet counting discussions. I'm sure most will hotly disagree with me (nowt new there) but you should hear yourselves.Simon

Perhaps people are discussing the finer points of accuracy because this is a model railways forum, not a happy clappy QVC-style sales pitch. If these issues can't be discussed here, then what is the point of this forum?

Rob

Archived