Heljan 'OO' DP2

Mike at C&M

I think what Bluex5 might be referring to is the photo posted by 10000? The photo from above clearly shows that the taper from the cab doors into the windscreen is not there and the profile remains straight.

I'll be reserving my judgement until I've seen the model in the flesh, but from 10000's picture, I remain unoptimistic.

Cheers.

Sean.

And what is the minimum radius before the outside end wheels contact the body sides? Do Heljan have anything to say about this in the notes with the loco? The end taper issue notwithstanding, this looks better out of the box than the Bachmann 55 thanks to what looks like a scale height positioning of the body above the bogies. On which subject, how long before the class 55 from Heljan; they have track record in making full use of every chassis type...

Guest jim s-w

Not knowing deltic shaped things all that well I defer judgement of the shape to those who do but I am in agreement with 34theletter... In that the way it sits on it's bogies looks very nice to me

Cheers

Jim

A Deltic might not be a bad shout.............................but.............................Bachmann do have a laser scanned cad/cam available for production Deltics and they talk a lot with Brian from Shawplan, so who knows? :locomotive:

I have a question for the DP2 experts out there (which I am defintely not!): having just looked at the Rails of Sheffield pics of the later liveried example, have Heljan used the right light green shade? I thought/assumed it would be the same yellow-green as used on the Deltics (and also Hymeks) whereas the green in the photos looks to me more like the sherwood green as used on the Baby Deltic skirts.

I have a question for the DP2 experts out there (which I am defintely not!): having just looked at the Rails of Sheffield pics of the later liveried example, have Heljan used the right light green shade? I thought/assumed it would be the same yellow-green as used on the Deltics (and also Hymeks) whereas the green in the photos looks to me more like the sherwood green as used on the Baby Deltic skirts.

I can assure you that the correct light green has been used. Sherwood green was applied to the lower skirt of DP2 as opposed to the yellow green on the production Deltics and Hymeks.

Thanks for the prompt answer BV. I'll have to see if I can justify the cost of one of these. In spite of the criticisms mentioned earlier, I still think it looks good.

Guest jim s-w

As the Railway Modellersays 'for the average modeller' it looks good.

Isn't the average modeller entitled to something that's the right basic shape for their £104?

Cheers

Jim

I've just had a look at one of these in my local shop.

Awful. Just awful!

I know that Heljan have produced a much needed model and regardless of what I say, they will manage many sales to many happy customers, of that I'm sure. I also know that some people will comment on my ability to re-work the Bachmann/Silver Fox combo and some have alluded to this earlier in this thread.

I have to say though that none of the cab inaccuracies has been dealt with and the cab windows and profile are STILL totally wrong. Added to that, the model is crudely moulded with over large holes on the nose ends for the handrails and over sized tail lamp mouldings and a nose profile that just looks..... Well, it's wrong. It looks far too bulbous to me.

My main concern with it though is the body sides which, (on the sample I viewed), were rippled as if two toolings had been badly joined together before the first mould was made. It's mainly visible near to the large side grilles. There are other mould lines around the body which should also not be there and when added to the sand box filler mouldings etc, well, I gave up about then and put it down.....

I conceed that after a good application of Shawplan bits, the model could be improved, but I agree with Jim S W, at over 100 quid, I expect a little more. For me, all it would be fit for is cutting the middle out and grafting some Bachmann cabs to it. I will be a little contradictary here and say that if I didn't have the skills to do my own, I'd have to settle for this model, but I have to say, I feel it's an opportunity missed for this modeller I'm afraid, so for me gents.....

I'm out!

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks Sean for your honest review, much appreciated. Better to have all the facts to hand and to make a decision to purchase or not thereafter.

It seems a right shame after the success of Kestrel and Lion that DP2 doesn't sound like it's reached their previous levels of excellence.

For what it's worth, I concur with the gentlemen above me that the bogie to body relationshop is very pleasing on the eye, but I'll leave more knowledgeable modellers to comment further on the bodyshell.

Thanks Sean for your honest review, much appreciated. Better to have all the facts to hand and to make a decision to purchase or not thereafter.

It seems a right shame after the success of Kestrel and Lion that DP2 doesn't sound like it's reached their previous levels of excellence.

For what it's worth, I concur with the gentlemen above me that the bogie to body relationshop is very pleasing on the eye, but I'll leave more knowledgeable modellers to comment further on the bodyshell.

Just to show I'm not completely biased, yes, I agree, the bogie ride height looks really good, especially compared with side on photo's I've seen.

Cheers.

Sean.

As the Railway Modellersays 'for the average modeller' it looks good.

Rails of Sheffield first batch have all been sold - awaiting second batch stock.. Despite many of the views expressed, some modellers obviously like it!

Unfortunately I do not leave close enough to a stockist so I await Mr Posty with mine.

Mike Wiltshire

Rails of Sheffield first batch have all been sold - awaiting second batch stock.. Despite many of the views expressed, some modellers obviously like it!

No doubt they do Mike, you could say that about pretty much any model. With respect, it's self-evident that some will like it and some won't.

I quite agree - objective comment facilitating informed choice. So is there a chance we can continue in that vein, instead of descending into this tiresome vortex where one side seeks to impose its preference on the other?

Thoroughly agree Pennine.

I've said my piece and made my opinions known. I fully support others who like this model and choose to buy one and look forward to seeing others thoughts on the subject as long as they're based on fact and informative.

Hopefully, I've not lit the Blue touch paper with my comments and opinions.

"Other opinions are available...."

Cheers.

Sean.

And what is the minimum radius before the outside end wheels contact the body sides? Do Heljan have anything to say about this in the notes with the loco? The end taper issue notwithstanding, this looks better out of the box than the Bachmann 55 thanks to what looks like a scale height positioning of the body above the bogies. On which subject, how long before the class 55 from Heljan; they have track record in making full use of every chassis type...

Heljan seem to be a bit confused the doc's say a minimum of 15 inches (438mm)

Unless my calculator is screwed , 438mm is just over 17 inch

Just pulled out some old 2nd radius curves. While it did go around it didn't seem happy and runs much better on larger curves

I've just had a look at one of these in my local shop.

Awful. Just awful!

I know that Heljan have produced a much needed model and regardless of what I say, they will manage many sales to many happy customers, of that I'm sure. I also know that some people will comment on my ability to re-work the Bachmann/Silver Fox combo and some have alluded to this earlier in this thread.

I have to say though that none of the cab inaccuracies has been dealt with and the cab windows and profile are STILL totally wrong. Added to that, the model is crudely moulded with over large holes on the nose ends for the handrails and over sized tail lamp mouldings and a nose profile that just looks..... Well, it's wrong. It looks far too bulbous to me.

My main concern with it though is the body sides which, (on the sample I viewed), were rippled as if two toolings had been badly joined together before the first mould was made. It's mainly visible near to the large side grilles. There are other mould lines around the body which should also not be there and when added to the sand box filler mouldings etc, well, I gave up about then and put it down.....

I conceed that after a good application of Shawplan bits, the model could be improved, but I agree with Jim S W, at over 100 quid, I expect a little more. For me, all it would be fit for is cutting the middle out and grafting some Bachmann cabs to it. I will be a little contradictary here and say that if I didn't have the skills to do my own, I'd have to settle for this model, but I have to say, I feel it's an opportunity missed for this modeller I'm afraid, so for me gents.....

I'm out!

Cheers.

Sean.

It's dissapointing to find that the cab shape isn't the only issue. My Silver Fox example is still sitting in my cupboard while I do layout stuff but it will be getting revisited sooner rather than later.

I'm not getting into the whats right whats wrong aspect because its a long time since I saw the real thing at Crewe. There were differences to a 55 but exactly what and where other people seem to know so its up to them to pay out or not.

Any way another pic nose to nose with a Baccv 55

post-5927-0-64069400-1337716566.jpg

Well, I got mine today and I'm generally happy with it.

However, I would agree with the Penguin of Doom that there is a bad 'body ripple' around the large radiator grills and, more significantly, a similar ripple around the area where the bodyside glazing is probably attached (glued?) to the inside. I can't confirm if this is the cause because I simply cannot get the body off.

So if anyone can advise on how to remove it, can you please let me know? I've followed the instructions by removing the 4 screws that hold the fuel tanks in place, but the 'remove body from chassis carefully by lifting body off' is a bit vague to say the least. This is the first loco that has beaten me and I don't want to resort to methods which might cause irrepairable damage!!

I'm not getting into the whats right whats wrong aspect because its a long time since I saw the real thing at Crewe. There were differences to a 55 but exactly what and where other people seem to know so its up to them to pay out or not.

Any way another pic nose to nose with a Baccv 55

3 steps forward, 4 steps back. Yikes, is the front face really vertical... oh dear. Time to carry on with the Bachmann conversions I suspect. You pays your money, you makes your choice. I hope that all that have purchased this model are truly happy with it. Not too many models can claim real accuracy... some come close and some recent ones are pretty spot on... but this will sit with those that provide a fair representation of a one-off. For some, other routes to achieving a DP2 representation will remain the preferred option. Eh Sean B)

J

There are other mould lines around the body which should also not be there

But that's one of the Danes' trademarks Sean - would it be a Heljan model without them? After parting with over 400 notes for the 7mm 47, the unprototypical mould lines on the roof dome were a nasty surprise that I could have done without, as were the, er, unprototypical mould lines where the cabs meet the body. Haven't bought a Heljan model since.....

David

3 steps forward, 4 steps back. Yikes, is the front face really vertical... oh dear. Time to carry on with the Bachmann conversions I suspect. You pays your money, you makes your choice. I hope that all that have purchased this model are truly happy with it. Not too many models can claim real accuracy... some come close and some recent ones are pretty spot on... but this will sit with those that provide a fair representation of a one-off. For some, other routes to achieving a DP2 representation will remain the preferred option. Eh Sean B)

J

No the front face is not vertical. Its not as obvious as the Baccy 55 but a square up against it does show it slopes

Has anyone else had trouble getting them to go around corners.

I've tried about 6 so far and none will negotiate a 3rd radius curve without derailing.

The NEM pocket is catching on the bufferbeam, and innermost axles are fouling the body, which, whilst mounted prototypically, is not suitably mounted for model railways.

I have come up with a solution, but I want to talk to Howes first before publishing. I shouldn't have to be chopping and changing a £117 RTR model to make it go around bends...

Has anyone else had trouble getting them to go around corners.

I've tried about 6 so far and none will negotiate a 3rd radius curve without derailing.

The NEM pocket is catching on the bufferbeam, and innermost axles are fouling the body, which, whilst mounted prototypically, is not suitably mounted for model railways.

I have come up with a solution, but I want to talk to Howes first before publishing. I shouldn't have to be chopping and changing a £117 RTR model to make it go around bends...

As I said in a previous post I've had mine going around 2nd radius curves with out derailing ( in out of the box state ) but it was tight on the curves. Not an issue for me as I only have one curve at 18" and it wont be going on that section.

Archived