GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

Guest 7007GreatWestern

The Guard is one of the Moduloc range of 3D figures. They are made by scanning real life figures. Its a very interesting range of train crew and station staff in (obviously) life like poses. Usual disclaimer....just a very satisfied customer.

Shunting completed the train leaves Cynwyd for its last drop off at Danby Brewery

attachicon.gif8 B&W Guard.jpg

John

That's more like it John! We're finally getting to see some of those exquisite period details..... the Guard leaning nonchalantly on the verandah of his brake van, the Porter rolling a churn (authentically) on its rim, the enamel signs, the horse-drawn Coal Merchant's cart........sigh! A lot of Railway Modellers lose sight of the fact that a railway isn't just about locomotives and rolling stock.....there's a human story too. That's no something that can be said of Granby! You're really good at recreating plausible scenes of bygone life. More close-ups please!

Andy.

PS Has that lumping great 2-8-2 tank arrived yet?

• RMweb Gold

That's more like it John! We're finally getting to see some of those exquisite period details..... the Guard leaning nonchalantly on the verandah of his brake van, the Porter rolling a churn (authentically) on its rim, the enamel signs, the horse-drawn Coal Merchant's cart........sigh! A lot of Railway Modellers lose sight of the fact that a railway isn't just about locomotives and rolling stock.....there's a human story too. That's no something that can be said of Granby! You're really good at recreating plausible scenes of bygone life. More close-ups please!

Andy.

PS Has that lumping great 2-8-2 tank arrived yet?

Thanks Andy.....so glad you liked it......I did have your request at the forefront of my mind when framing some of those shots!

Still waiting patiently for the 72xx......it normally takes about ten days and there was a bank holiday in the U.K and last week end was a holiday here........I will be posting photos on arrival

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

John,

I did some research into brewery  unloads but most of it is on a laptop in storage pending move. 

So you will have to "imagine" based on this.   The large hopper wagons went over what looks like an ash pit ( I am planning to use the Peco one)  In a number of places in the ash put was what looks to be a number of square funnels, at one wagon length apart.  I guess when there were no unloads, these funnels/hoppers had lids.

The funnels are joined by a pipe which had an enclosed archimedes screw type arrangement.  On some photos this goes off underground into the brewery, and in another photo it went overground and up a steep angle to the top of a silo.

There is a small thread about this on here somewhere which I started.

• RMweb Gold

I had forgotten North Cranford is going to feature a brewery until I stumbled across one of your posts when I was searching "brewery" on here yesterday. I have only a vague knowledge of the brewing process so I hope you will be able to help me out when I start planning the buildings.

I have saved the modified Metcalfe buildings from the mark 1 brewery but I am thinking of building from Scalescenes once I have sorted the track layout.....I know that's the reverse of the actual process but hopefully I can make it look as though it happened the other way round!

Thanks for the info about the pit.....just what I needed to know.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

John,

I did some research into brewery  unloads but most of it is on a laptop in storage pending move. 

So you will have to "imagine" based on this.   The large hopper wagons went over what looks like an ash pit ( I am planning to use the Peco one)  In a number of places in the ash put was what looks to be a number of square funnels, at one wagon length apart.  I guess when there were no unloads, these funnels/hoppers had lids.

The funnels are joined by a pipe which had an enclosed archimedes screw type arrangement.  On some photos this goes off underground into the brewery, and in another photo it went overground and up a steep angle to the top of a silo.

There is a small thread about this on here somewhere which I started.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25940-how-to-unload-bulk-wagons-at-breweries-and-creameries/page-2

Found it......very informative

You sure started some fascinating threads.....lots to read tonight!

Cheers

John, interesting stuff. At Hintock Redux home grown grain is brought to the Crown Prince Brewery in sacks as that was the common method of carriage.

Grano's were employed more usually with imported grain through Avonmouth. And, in trains that ran to Wrexham with wagons marked appropriately.

As to the use of hopper wagons here in the US bottom discharge into a pit is used and from there into storage bins by auger and between bins by compressed air.

The attached show a loaded grain car being discharged and into a truck using a commonly employed mobile auger with it being driven by a petrol fired engine. In the background is the mill itself showing different bins and the piping between them. The mill produces cattle feed in bulk.

post-3088-0-05430600-1504905932_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-64772400-1504905960_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-22129700-1504905996_thumb.jpg

Not strictly relevant to your case, but I think, of interest.

post-3088-0-12503800-1504906026_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John......a picture is worth a thousand words......a very Mid West scene.

Hopefully the Grano will be ok to deliver to the Maltings.....Interesting that grain was shipped to Wrexham from Avonmouth rather than Birkenhead.

I hope to pick your brains when I try and plan the brewery buildings.

Great to hear from .....hope you are feeling fully recovered

Best wishes

John

John, glad you liked it, this example is very crude-but suits the circumstances,more sophisticated pits and loads requiring more careful handling are under cover, of concrete with gratings over the top and the auger itself in a covered trench.

For my Crown Prince brewery I have only modeled the dispatch side assuming that the raw materials and coal for the boilers are delivered to the sidings in the goods yard and from there carted to  the brewery itself. I'm sure you can find a reason for using the Grano, as they are rather distinctive vehicles and its unloading perhaps be off-stage.

A few posts ago you mentioned imagination and I felt to your disadvantage. Nothing could be further from the truth for the whole of Granby is a masterful, entertaining and credible exercise of it. John, take a bow.

Thanks too for your good wishes, recovery I'm happy to say is under way and today I spent an exasperating hour or so taking out a defective point and replacing it. On the other hand I've taken strides in getting HRx looking more appealing. No doubt about it model railways are very good therapy.

Every good wish,

PS, more pleasant here today weather wise, the smoke has dissipated and cooler, being in the 80F's. 

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to catch up with Granby in all it's Grimy glory John. It's always been one of those 'Inspiration' layouts with so much detail and so much going on, every time you look you see something new and spot another little cameo you have missed before. Keep up the good work ! 

cheers 

Matt C

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt

Good to hear from you and thank you for your nice remarks. I am flattered that Granby should be your first post on here......hope it wont be the last

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

The second of the four new trains for the branch will consist of Private Owners coal wagons . Picking up at the colliery and exchanging for empties at Cynwyd coal sidings and local industries like the Creamery and Brewery.

There is some modellers licence employed here.......I suspect it was more usual for coal wagons to be part of the daily pick up goods but with Granby being in the heart of the North Wales Coal fields, its not completely unrealistic.

All Private Owners wagons were absorbed into a national pool for the duration of WWII. After nationalisation British Railways took over the wagons and paid their owners compensation. I do wonder if they would have been returned to private ownership during the period 1945-8? Nevertheless I rather like the idea of delivering coal to Danby Brewery in a Danby wagon http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif   

The train will have six wagons with six similar wagons at the various locations. The wagons are an assortment of RTR and kit built. Some date back to Granby I (1991), others are brand new.

I set up a production line to paint out some of the insides, insert some residual coal scraps for the empties and attempt to sort of standardise so many different ages of weathering.

1311914034_1empties.jpg.dc6296a58b13d578b120b7214ce5a702.jpg

Not the difference in side thickness between the Oxford "Barton &Co" and the Bachmann "Lunt"

Ignore the tracksetta........multi tasking again. Not much space left on Granby so the flattened  brewery site was a great work bench

You can conceal the loaded state of most freight but not open coal wagons. It really does look daft delivering an empty coal wagon to the brewery and exchanging it for an empty. I get around this with the long colliery train by having separate dedicated loaded and empty trains. This wont work for the local train so I am experimenting with transferable loads 

534429193_2Sponge.jpg.e8a0012687ac600fc064679e3d5d4c88.jpg

1438751058_3CoalYard.jpg.57fde006841835797f6daf2dc079d97e.jpg

Not sure whether it will be more efficient to swap loads or wagons between operating sessions......in the dead of night.

Regardless the sponge does seem to make a much better base for the coal than the card shims I used previously.

Here are some shots of the train approaching Cynwyd........hope you like POWs http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

1375517091_3aBW.jpg.d338de73169c1d0767f7cdbb6e10890b.jpg

Hauled by a pannier.....of course.

1326476165_49643.jpg.01a719aecec7e264b428ae3ccd2a64de.jpg

1130801738_5Dew.jpg.c2ebdc65095256abc515f08045d093d1.jpg

An old Slaters kit

As far as I know we have no family connection with the coal trade.......but my surname is conveniently short when it comes to applying individual letters!!

1382193333_6Barton.jpg.a059945f02feabbd1f1cee9f26f89e2a.jpg

These are my new acquisitions from Oxford........they have come in for a lot of criticism for some of their offerings but to my untutored eyes these wagons represent excellent value with a far better level of detail than their competitors.

These both started life as number 321......sometimes its easier to do some judicious weathering rather than fiddle with new numbers

After looking at these shots I decided the coal was bit overscale for domestic use so out came the hammer. I also trimmed 1/4" off the sponge base

728467466_7lunt.jpg.2b74d756c5da57e91e3755b90cd7c4a8.jpg

Bachmann Lunt for the creamery and Slaters kit for the brewery.

1943555266_8Bv.jpg.77bb52dec44ca215c1891eed995b7c20.jpg

Bringing up the rear a 12 ton Outside frame Brake. I was quite proud of this white metal kit when I built it in 2004.....sadly I later learned that they would only have been in Departmental use in 1948 http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_twisted.gif. So its languished in the display case for the last decade. However needs must....... the advent of four new freight trains converted my surplus of RTR Toads into a shortage. I may brand it "Only for use between Corwen and Mold" or similar

The train now approaches Cynwyd

901972976_9coalsidings.jpg.4afd49b20e1871a51166b4fff50d6010.jpg

Merchants empties in the coal siding. Empty from the Creamery in the yard.  Suncole coke wouldnt come from the colliery so it will be part of the daily pick up run 

In a flash the shunting is completed http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

116810527_10Sidings.jpg.5bf3710a21f7688586bf5ceb7ceed9bd.jpg

and the train heads off to its last drop at the brewery

360706222_11Train.jpg.d682ea8d29350ac61aabad01d8a67583.jpg

The ultra observant may wonder how and why the red Thrutchley wagon first seen coupled to the pannier is now bringing up the rear! Hand of god and change of plan.....brewery coal supply doubled

884252467_13Finchingsisters.jpg.011f0f9e6eb610c189e791582236069c.jpg

Some may think it would be  better if Ben Morgan spent more time adjusted the sidelamp rather than waving at Bronwen and Gladys.

Regular followers of ANTB may well think that Bronwen and Gladys bear more than a passing resemblance to the Finching sisters who are often seen in a similar pose on the platform at Brent

Regards from Vancouver where it is about to become wet and windy

Edited by john dew
12/10/2022 Photos
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I love POWs!  Great stuff.  The fifth photo in the last post appears to show the guy on the signal box reaching into the Pannier's chimney.  I wonder what for?

Need the rain here in Brisbane - has just been windy.  The fire-fighters are all getting very nervous about our approaching summer.

• RMweb Gold

I love POWs!  Great stuff.  The fifth photo in the last post appears to show the guy on the signal box reaching into the Pannier's chimney.  I wonder what for?

Need the rain here in Brisbane - has just been windy.  The fire-fighters are all getting very nervous about our approaching summer.

Dropped the token perhaps?

I did wonder about that when I cropped it.....for once I achieve decent depth of field and look what happens.

Some of your firefighters may have got some practice in by helping us out......we had a horrific summer for forest fires and I believe some teams came over from Oz.

Kind regards

• RMweb Gold

John,

Your outside frame 12ton TOAD will look great behind the Bachmann steam crane when it is released in 2025...........

We wish, at least another 3 years with Bachmann's current performance it's still in CAD stage according to the Hornby magazine this month.

Hullo, John,

Not currently modelling pending a house move next week, but your thread[and mentions of moving beer] brought this picture of Burton Breweries to mind, I've not seen its like, interesting? One 'prop' you'll have to have is the long psir of beams to roll barrels into wagons and lorries etc...

"...more than 25 miles of private railway lines link...to the mainline railway.."

post-106-0-54041900-1506028276.jpg

Best wishes as ever,

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Doug

Thank you so much for those barrel handling photos.......I loved how crowded that first shot was with all the various buildings closing in on the track........I won't be having anything approaching 25 miles of track for my brewery! Three or four sidings if things work out....I am still trying to get my head around the brewing process and how it can be credibly compressed into a very small semi circle.

You flatter me.....I had never heard of "parbuckling" before........we took the beer on to the boat in six packs and the wine in cartons.....we actually dispensed with the outer carton, the bladders were easier to stow!

Hope the house move goes well

Best wishes

John

John, you know me, a fund of useless [usually ] knowledge. This link to a pdf [paste the whole line into your browser] pages 4-5 give an overview of the brewing process, and a picture of Hutchinsons Brewery building a taller more compact building of an era to fit in with the Granby theme to give a flavour of the style etc. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of evenings to scratch one like that? [Click on the blue letters beside the PDF sign after it's downloaded]

strategy for the historic industrial environment the brewing industry 

Coal would have formed a huge traffic 'in', these breweries were all steam heated, and no self respecting brewer would have used someone else's barrels, so stave wood from a conditioning site  would have arrived by the wagon load for his coopers...[takes a LOT of space, no room in Granby for 2 years of stacked staves to be conditioned..]  It goes on and on, doesn't it?

Bon courage, mon ami,

Doug

Edited by Chubber

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Doug........but the link doesn't look complete? I will try and google the title

Cheers

John

Edited

Found it.....looks a fascinating read....I will return

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Gold

That link is exactly what I needed to get an understanding of the processes.....many thanks Doug!

The normally reliable mail service between Cornwall and Vancouver has let me down as I wait patiently for one RH short radius electro frog so I can start the brewery track work then I will do some card mock ups..........but first I must finish my cattle train.

More anon

Cheers