SRman

I have had a great idea using the same sticky backed 'floor protector' rolls as underlay as I have used at the back of the new section (see earlier photos). For the bridges and viaducts I have been pondering how to fasten the track while still allowing for last minute adjustments, particularly as some of them are plastic or have balsa wood decks, meaning that pins won't stay put. The answer (I hope) is to use the rolls 'upside down' compared to what I did before. For the rear tracks, I used the sticky side downwards, sticking to the baseboards, then pinned the track. This time, I am gluing the non-sticky side to the bridge decks, then I'll place the track carefully on the sticky side. I can then sprinkle some ballast onto the remaining exposed sticky bits.

No photos at present, while the glue sets, but I'll advise further just how successful or otherwise this technique is. I am only doing two bridges initially. so it cannot turn into a complete disaster.

So far so good, Doug. I have now laid some ballast, but forgot to paint the rails first! The base layer of ballast has stuck well, but the upper layers are now waiting for the diluted glue to dry.

Photos of the track on the combined lift-out bridges, as described a couple of posts ago. The glue is still drying so I can't move it yet. Once it is ready, I'll lift the bridges out and run the wires from the tracks to a 4-pin connector, which will feed to the bus wires to the Command unit. This will make it the very first bit of track on the upper level to be live.

26321133588_f38bb91e55_b.jpg

40160953372_7b70befcb2_b.jpg

39295861215_43d15e1884_b.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a heap of different grass mats from Orient Express in South Australia and Modeller's Warehouse in Queensland.

Thanks. Dave (Modellers' Warehouse) will be at Forestville in three weeks' time so I'll have a look at them then.

First test runs completed after temporarily wiring both tracks to the same feed from the command unit. For the future, each track will have a separate feed with a circuit breaker in line.

The 4-pin plug works well. It is only rated at 1 amp, but for a short, isolated section of track that will only see passing trains, this should not be a problem. It is essential to allow this bridge section to be removable, while the rest of the bridges and viaducts will be fixed permanently, thus won't require the plug and socket arrangement for the wiring.

The Heljan ex-BR class 05 was used first and after revealing a few dead spots with glue on the track, has run up and down both tracks in turn at dead slow speeds. A Hornby Sentinel diesel and Kernow Beatty well tank also successfully completed the sections at dead slow speeds.

There remains a bit of cleaning up of excess bits of ballast on the sleepers, and a bit of rail and ballast weathering.

28421323239_368062e9f6_b.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 8

Oh is it this weekend... I better start digging the front room out of all the debris that has turned up! And get back to running the layout.. I admit I still haven't relaid the tracks under the main section either... oh well I might get round to some of this stuff this week before the meeting!

Your always more than welcome to come over. I have been mucking around with some P4 Track building but I do need to clean up the front room at some stage, between now and saturday. In between work home to dinner and walking the dog (3.6kms or about 2 miles per night) which makes the dog happy and my health better. Then back home... avoid arguments with the teenagers.... do some modelling bed and repeat seems to be the program for the week! 

My aim for the year is to do at least 1 modelling project to completion each month, keep my fitness up seems to be working pretty well. Though I am not looking forward to the days closing in and moving from Walking 3.6kms to the rowing machine for 7Km's but if I feel better avoid the winter illnesses and maintain the modeling life will be changed for the better! 

Taking advantage of the new viewing angles available with the extra scenic area, I have a different shot of the SECR C class 0-6-0 592 hauling the matching 'birdcage' set.

39378568015_d286d8bb77_b.jpg

An unscheduled new arrival is a Golden Valley Hobbies Janus diesel shunter with sound. This was an NCB blue one which was a repaired return to GVH, and was sold at a considerably reduced price because it was missing a buffer and a handrail. I have replaced the three remaining buffers as well, so it has four matching buffers now; these are turned brass items intended for WR DMUs, but look quite reasonable on the Janus. I have not yet worked on the replacement handrail.

I removed the 'National Coal Board' inscriptions and then weathered it fairly heavily with some grimy black powder and a bit of water, to bring out the grille details and also to hide the marks where the text was removed. The weathering actually came out a bit heavier than I intended, but if I decide I don't like it, it will wipe off with a damp cloth. As it is, I think it is growing on me, and I may well leave it as it is.

I did have a Port of London version of this shunter on order, but the order seems to have vanished, so I am content to have this one and save some money.

39564934604_12bc5cf892_b.jpg

38466056750_ff339e5997_b.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7

I rearranged some of the trains in the fiddle yard. My back has been bad for a few days but I am able to do some of these simpler tasks for a few minutes. The idea was to check that I have the ability to run the planned 9-coach EMUs or a locomotive and 8 coaches. Two of the loops are a little short bit still accommodate 8 coaches, but at least two more can accommodate longer trains. I have fitted my two Hornby Brighton Belle units with 2 BIL motor bogie frames with NEM coupling pockets (I know the frames are not quite correct, but it is a quick, practical way to get 'multiple' operation for these multiple units!). Kadee #19 couplings were fitted, and the 10-car 'consist' posed in one of the longer loops.

Also visible are the two 4 CEP units with an MLV on the left-most track of the fiddle yard, and no less than 12 cars of class 450 units (3 x 4-car sets) on the line second from right.

25404895657_1d8717f2b9_b.jpg

• Like 8

After looking at one of my earlier photos it was obvious that there was a small gap in the scenery on the older part of the layout that showed some raw, white polystyrene. As I had already pre-weathered some of the brickwork used around the tunnel mouth, I was able to measure and cut some suitable sections to finish off the stairs leading up from the signal box on the lower level to what will be an access path on the upper level. This is now held in place temporarily with some mastic, as I have to paint the concrete stairs and then add handrails. I need to add a column of brickwork on the end of that right hand retaining wall, but I think it is looking half decent already, though.

38499120190_aaacb10901_b.jpg

25437588867_84562f7c28_b.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 8

I have been doing a little more tracklaying on the upper level this evening, this time towards the front of the layout.

39645598344_f578db8a3f_b.jpg

38546560410_7eabd12e28_b.jpg

The Bachmann class 166 Driving coaches are acting as clearance gauges, being the widest and longest vehicles I possess.. A couple of spots are tight but they don't touch.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have been doing a little more tracklaying on the upper level this evening, this time towards the front of the layout.

39645598344_f578db8a3f_b.jpg

38546560410_7eabd12e28_b.jpg

The Bachmann class 166 Driving coaches are acting as clearance gauges, being the widest and longest vehicles I possess.. A couple of spots are tight but they don't touch.

Not good enough my friend. I can still see some empty areas of baseboard.

Not good enough my friend. I can still see some empty areas of baseboard.

Come down here and say that! :P

The empty areas were a direct result of my tracklaying efforts; I had to clear the areas to get at the track ends for cutting and trimming. I have tried to take the biggest sweep and largest radius I can. I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping it will all align smoothly.

• Like 1

I did a little more tracklaying last night, but some of it will be lifted again shortly. With the tightness of the curves and space to swing the tracks around and back again, I have to loosely pin the track to see if what I have in mind will work. By easing the radii on these tracks in the photo, I have shortened the distance before the tracks need to swing back around the end of the layout, thus the angle of the short straight section is steeper in relation to the front edges of the layout.

The point that will lead off to the loco sheds and possibly some sidings as well leads off just past the level crossing. However, the long point I have used here will have to be changed to a medium one, which will affect the positioning of that track from there on. There's also the fact that all of the points have to be prepared for DCC operation with auto-switching of the frog polarity, so they have to be lifted again to do that.

There will also be a crossover ahead of the aforementioned point, to allow locos or units to gain the sheds from the other side.

I have not yet worked out where the road on the other side of the level crossing will end up. I have in mind that it will turn nearly 90 degrees (as per the short section of grey paint I added), then climb again to cross the line on an overbridge at the back, further towards the far end of the layout. If that isn't achievable convincingly, the road will become a local access only to the railway yards and sheds, in which case the bus route will have to be diverted!

39500127135_97e582c3b5_b.jpg

• Like 5

Jeff,

I was thinking about bringing the Garratt to next months meeting. This will refute those who said a Garratt never made it over the Thames  :sungum: .

I am hoping those curves will be OK

Peter

The curves will be fine ... not sure about the Garratt, though! ;)

If it is the Heljan/Hattons one, I believe they can go around 2nd radius curves, mine are (or will be, no less than 3rd radius, and mostly greater than that. I'm not sure if I'll have power to the tracks by the meeting date, but even if I haven't, the Garratt will look great posed on the tracks for photographs.

• RMweb Premium

The curves will be fine ... not sure about the Garratt, though! ;)

If it is the Heljan/Hattons one, I believe they can go around 2nd radius curves, mine are (or will be, no less than 3rd radius, and mostly greater than that. I'm not sure if I'll have power to the tracks by the meeting date, but even if I haven't, the Garratt will look great posed on the tracks for photographs.

Jeff,

Its the Hatton's one and it managed very well in Cornwall and North Wales (on Rick's and PCM;s)  

Peter

• Like 2