SRman

• 1 month later...

Back to D3219, the Hornby 08 I have been painting and weathering. I finally got round to painting the various handrails white. Unfortunately, this has now emphasised any kinks and bends in the handrails, plus showing up a few odd bits of fluff and cat hair that have stuck to the previous paint.

Still, the effect is not too bad, and the cruel close-up allows me to make the final adjustments to produce a convincing model.

Class%2008%20Weathered%20at%20Newton%20B

p.s. Thanks for the earlier compliment, class"66".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good there Jeff.

I hope you still have some space for Bachmann's latest announcements.  The 2Hap should find home here as well albeit probably only a single unit.

Yes, I'll definitely be up for a few 2 HAPs. I already have a Bulleid style HAP under construction, and I was contemplating converting some of the spare EPB bodies I have, but they will now simply become dummy EPB units with some livery variations..

Thanks Peter. I'll have to see if I can make a little figure of you clinging onto the front steps one day! ;)

It depended on the driver whether or not you had to cling on, but yes a bloke on the front steps would look good.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just arrived today, my bargain BR blue MLV from Invicta Model Rail. After a long running in session on the rolling road on DC power, I fitted a Lenz 21 pin decoder (as per all my Bachmann SR EMU stock), tweaked the inertia/momentum settings to match all the others, and set it to work in "multiple" (i.e. in a consist) with a green MLV and green 4 CEP. Here's a quick photo of 68004, 68006 and 7126.

This is my third model of 68004, although each is in a different livery from different eras. I did actually renumber the NSE one to 68002 (unit 9002) to allow running with its earlier post office red liveried sister. The BR blue one would never have run with either of the other liveries, so the number 'clash' doesn't matter so much, but it can legitimately be mixed with green, blue and blue/grey units. It also means that the two remaining un-renumbered models of 68004 still don't both have the same DCC number allocated, since I used the unit numbers to identify the PO red, NSE and 'jaffa cake' liveried units (9002, 9004 and 9008). For all intents and purposes, they will never be running on the layout at the same time, but the post office and renumbered NSE one can be run together if I want, together with the 'jaffa cake' livery (although the time overlap for the three liveries is very short).

MLV%2068004%20BR%20Blue%20-%202_zpsgzmyi

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Nice.  Just looked at the price as Invicta isn't one of my regular haunts.  Might have to place an order myself!  I don't need and cannot justify another MLV but just the components are worth more than they are asking right now :D

£49.99 (no VAT) + postage of £11.75, Rick, so quite a bargain. Mine seemed to have a little more gear whine than the usual Bachmann units but it still runs just as sweetly as the rest.

DougN: up late because we went out with Roger T. to Train World then fish and chips by the bay. We were watching You Tube videos and generally chatting until quite late ... What better way to spend a Friday evening? :)

Kelly: it's funny you should mention the Replica items, as I have an email from them to respond to for some suburban coach kits and MLV parts, with the email received here just after the aforementioned late night. It was time stamped for just after I went to bed!! I am going to dismantle a Bachmann 4 CEP unit and use one of the intermediate coach chassis plus the Replica suburban SO body and seats to create a centre car for my Kernow 2H unit, turning it into a 3H. I have purchased a few bargain priced CEP units locally over the last couple of years, so I thought I don't mind sacrificing one of them for other projects. The motor coach will power a spare EPB DMBS body left over from the first batch of blue EPB units from Bachmann with incorrect numbering, while the DTS will be converted to a HAP . That will leave me a spare non-powered DMBS chassis, which could go into a dummy 2-car unit or under an unpowered (dummy) MLV or GLV (thinking ahead, here, for the forthcoming Mark 2F coaches from Bachmann to make up a Gatwick Express unit).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I have been experimenting with a video camera mounted on a wagon to produce a few "cab rides" on my layout. They are posted on YouTube and Facebook (for friends only in the latter). If interested, the links are as follows:

with a Heljan class 33 and legomanbiffo sound;

with a Bachmann class 37 and Howes sound;

with a Heljan class 52 and Howes sound.

I am learning as I go and trying to put more features to make them more watchable and interesting, as well as using different locos to give a variety of sounds. I hope to improve as I try a few more of these videos.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

These "cab rides" are still uncommon among modellers and give a fresh perspective on the modelling.  We can learn to ignore the "off scene" sections or perhaps learn from them in terms of construction and thinking.  It's something I get asked for now and again and haven't yet done. 

It does show any rough bits of track up, hidden or no! 

I had a thought that I could possibly bring the camera and wagon along to try a few runs on Penhayle Bay, with your permission, if I make it for your running day. The thought occurs that my wagon is an older one with medium-sized tension lock couplings. If necessary, I can find something suitable with NEM pockets to put Kadees in. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

The camera would be most welcome at Penhayle Bay, Jeff, and I sincerely hope you and perhaps others of the Blackburn Group will be here.  I don't think there will be too many of us this time.  Coupler-wise I should have no problem with a medium tension lock as the wagon can be propelled by one of several suitably-fitted locos including perhaps an HST power car.  Sound would have to be overdubbed later as I don't run DCC.

One more video of my layout, this time at a more realistic speed with a Heljan class 47.

I have also now taken a video of Roger T's layout during his BRMA meeting on Saturday 23rd April, but am not sure where to post that once I have edited it. It was well received by Roger and all those present. I'm looking forward to doing Rick's Penhayle Bay. Once that's on camera, I will be able to upload the vid straight to your computer, Rick, through a USB cable from the camera.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That sounds good Jeff thanks.  The layout performed quite well last night for guests at Sharon's music-on-the-driveway event.  Let's hope it manages the same this coming Saturday.

Edited by Gwiwer

Jeff I suggested a new thread under the "down under" section which of course every one has access too! When your ready you can run around my layout. Really does suggest I need a name for it... Well go back over it's thread and think again.

Jeff I suggested a new thread under the "down under" section which of course every one has access too! When your ready you can run around my layout. Really does suggest I need a name for it... Well go back over it's thread and think again.

Latest Newton Effort Railway? ;)   :jester:

• 3 weeks later...

Latest arrivals at Newton Broadway (curse those bargain sales!):

Not a good photo, but this is a three car BR Mark 1 "suburban" non-gangwayed set from Replica Railways parts. The body shells come pre-painted but without numbering. This set is still awaiting numbering, window 'stickers', set numbers and underframe detail components to be fitted. I ordered one more complete kit so I could adapt the body to fit a spare Bachmann 4 CEP TS underframe to convert a Kernow green 2H DEMU to a 3H unit. This conversion is still in progress and also requires the green to be darkened a little and the roof ridges to be removed. The 4 CEP chassis allows for the interior lighting and head and tail light connections to be continued through the unit. In the meantime, I have other plans for the remainder of the 4 CEP (3 CEP now!) and the remaining Replica chassis. I'll try to post some detail shots of these in my workbench blog later.

Non-Gangwayed%203-set%20Replica%20Railwa

I have ordered two of the bargain Hornby 2 HAL (class 402) units from Hattons. One, 2603 in green with fye has already arrived and been fitted with a Lenz decoder and Kadee #19 end couplings to match with all my other 2 HAL and 2 BIL units. A blue unit also with fye is still to arrive.

IMAG1482_zpscqarn3pr.jpg

I also succumbed to temptation and bought a Network South East 2H (class 205) unit from Rails of Sheffield. These were commissioned from Bachmann by Kernow Model Rail Centre. Unit 205 001 is seen on its own and running in multiple (consist) with a previous purchase from Kernow, unit 205 012 in Connex livery. Again, Lenz decoders and Kadee #19 couplings are fitted, although I may have to go to the longer #20 couplings for tighter curves (only tested on the outer run for now).

IMAG1483_zpsj8ah7arm.jpg

IMAG1487%20mod_zpsslmm2lw0.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4