SRman

The S15 has also progressed, and I put some finishing touches to it and the Sturgeon A Engineers' Department wagon, so both are in serviceable conditions fit for photographic purposes on the layout. I made a rail load for the Sturgeon A as well. 

S15%20and%20Sturgeon%20A%20Wagon%20-%201

S15%20and%20Sturgeon%20A%20Wagon%20-%204

Sturgeon%20A%20Wagon%20Near%20Newton%20B

Details and blow by blow accounts of both of these projects as they progressed are in my workbench blog.

Look what has also appeared at Newton Broadway: the new Rail Exclusive/Suttons Locomotive Works Derby type 2 (later class 24), D5000, with sound was delivered yesterday. I ordered jointly with through a friend, and both turned up on his doorstep just before Christmas. He delivered it to me personally as he also wanted to pick my brains regarding converting part of his layout initially to DCC, while keeping it safe from his split potential analogue system on his main lines. I found the top speed of the 24 a little too fast for my liking, so have tweaked the speed curve, and also added a higher value for CV4, the momentum, to take better advantage of the braking function.

SLW%20Class%2024%20at%20Newton%20Broadwa

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

He delivered it to me personally as he also wanted to pick my brains regarding converting part of his layout initially to DCC, while keeping it safe from his split potential analogue system on his main lines.

Split potential? Wow! I haven't heard of anyone using that for about 50 years.

All the best to everyone down Mexico way, thinking especially of those affected by the fires.

Happy New Year Jeff.

Hope you had a good Christmas. The weathering on S15 and Sturgeon looks great.

looking forwards to seeing that class 24 weathered up.

All the best Peter. 

Hi Peter. Wishing you and Leanne and Abbie a Happy New Year also.

I will eventually weather the 24 a bit, but right now it's too new and too expensive to do too much to!! I have straightened up those bogie pipes, knocking a very small amount of paint off in the process, but they are to be very early candidates for toning down (probably painting black!).

I will pose it next to my slightly modified Bachmann example soon. I just renumbered it to D5011 (from D5014) because the Bachmann model lacks the extra grilles of the very early batch. A few of that batch also lacked the grilles, and D5011 was one of them ... unfortunately, D5014 wasn't, although I didn't have that information when I arbitrarily chose a number from the batch sent to Hither Green.

As an aside, the pictures in Haresnapes Fleet Survey #1 show D5000 in original, as-delivered condition, and it lacks the grille to the right, near the boiler grille (with the radiator end to the left). The same book has a later photo of D5000 (by then 24 005) and it has the grille added. I'm sure it was done fairly early on, but does anyone know approximately when this was done?

Edited by SRman

Continuing on from that last post, I have been doing a comparison of the new Sutton's Locomotive Works (SLW) class 24 against my already modified Bachmann one to see what further work could be feasible to bring the Bachmann model closer to being accurate (or at least, looking accurate).

I have previously modified the gutter line over the cab windscreens, and have been aware that the windscreen shapes were wrong, although they are the hardest thing to correct without having to do a complete repaint. The centre door could be beefed up just a little.

Looking at the models, the roof looks easy to correct, with the Bachmann model needing a little backdating of the exhaust details. It could also do with the addition of the 'flaps' over the boiler water fillers, although these went missing on the real locos quite early on. My modelling period for the 24s is the early 1960s, when around 15 of them were on  loan to the Southern Region for several years. The "L" shaped panel will be easy to produce in plain plasticard.

As the Bachmann model side grilles are correct for the majority of class 24s, but I needed any of the first 15, I had arbitrarily chosen D5014 for my original renumbering. As it turned out, that was not a good choice as D5014 was one of the early ones with an extra grille on each side (as correctly modelled by SLW on D5000). Also out of contention were the first six locos, which had the horizontal divider in the main radiator grille (again, correctly modelled by SLW for D5000). Chacking photos (which were unavailable when I first renumbered the Bachmann one) showed that D5009 or D5011 were built without the extra side grilles - there were others as well - and D5011 was the easiest renumber because I only had to change the last digit.

The rest is not too bad. The thing that spoils the character the most on the Bachmann model (the windscreen shape) is also the most difficult to correct, so I will have to consider my options on that. The rest should be easy. And yes, I do know the rake of the cab front is also not correct on the Bacchy model; I can live with that.

Bachmann%20and%20SLW%20Class%2024s%20Com

(Note the extra grille on the upper level behind the main radiator on D5000 at the rear in the above photo).

Well, it's something to contemplate for a workbench project this year.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

A few years ago, I picked up a Hornby green class 50 with aftermarket sound. 50 007, Sir Edward Elgar, was fitted with Olivia's Trains' sound, and was in generally good nick, apart from a little of the orange lining rubbing off.

This particular model was a limited edition version with red name and number plates, representing 50 007 as preserved. I was not at all happy with the Olivia's sounds, so the decoder was reblown and fitted into something else completely different, and a Lenz Standard+ decoder was fitted in its place. I decided that I would order Fox Transfers lining transfers and etched nameplates with black backgrounds to put Sir Edward back into service as she/he was in active BR service before preservation.

The original Hornby lining was scraped off with a wooden lolly stick and a little water - this doesn't mark the original paint finish or the plastic of the model's body. The new lining transfers slid easily into place, apart from trimming one side slightly to shorten it, and the etched plates were trimmed easily off their frets with a sharp pair of scissors. A little PVA-type glue smeared lightly on the backs of the etched components allowed them to sit perfectly over the printed plates and crests.

I will varnish the sides to preserve the transfers and also seal the edges of the etched components, but it is best to leave them to dry out thoroughly first. Here are a couple of photos to show the results so far - sorry one is a little blurry because I can't take the camera any further back from that side.

Class%2050%20Sir%20Edward%20Elgar%20Reli

Class%2050%20Sir%20Edward%20Elgar%20Reli

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's looking good Jeff.

And it caused me to look at my 50007, also a near-new pre-owned loco, which of course has the red plates the could do with replacing.  I've done the 42s and 52s so maybe all the 50s are next in line for etches.

• Like 1

Back to the bridge: I have now added an I-beam from Plastruct to one side, under the plate girder. In fact, I filed off the back of the I-beam, making it more of a shallow U-beam, or even a low-relief I-beam ! I like the effect overall, but I will have to do something about the exposed end of the beam nearest the camera.

Bridge%20Construction%20-%20I-beams%20-%

An unaltered I-beam sits in the foreground.

As I said, I like the effect, perhaps with some vertical ribs added  out of plasticard strip. What do others think?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to the bridge: I have now added an I-beam from Plastruct to one side, under the plate girder. In fact, I filed off the back of the I-beam, making it more of a shallow U-beam, or even a low-relief I-beam ! I like the effect overall, but I will have to do something about the exposed end of the beam nearest the camera.

An unaltered I-beam sits in the foreground.

As I said, I like the effect, perhaps with some vertical ribs added  out of plasticard strip. What do others think?

What's that tasty-looking Milky Bar thing in the background?

Do you mean the 2 HAP unit? That's Ayjay Models body shells and seats on Hornby 2 BIL chassis (all those cheap Southern olive 2 BILs that came on the market were a godsend as far as motorising and coupling the unit (and for the 'tin' 2 HAL I did earlier). 

I intend shaving off the moulded pipes and jumpers and adding white metal and brass bits instead. After that, it will go into BR blue with full yellow ends.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is better, with the beam resting "within" the brickwork. I need to blend it better but I think this is an improvement.

I can add a brick support column under the I-beam end and going up to the end of the plate girder too. That would relieve the plainness of the wall as an added bonus.

Looking nice there SRman, the steel beam should really sit on a concrete pad. That could be done out of grey paper or 5thou plasticard. That way it is bearing on a nice substantial bearing point... Also can we have some beefed up columns those ones are way too thin... Can I suggest a concrete Jersey like barrier base with cross braced square beams (universal columns UC's) where the Xsection is almost square.. With another deep beam picking up the main longitudinal beams... If it looks over sized to your eyes it is probably right.

Any how we are back from our trip around... We might see you this weekend!

Hi Doug. Welcome back. :)

I would like to put some "steel" cross-bracing between those pillars, given enough time and a bit of effort.

In the meantime, the other side was easier as I didn't have to reduce the I-section to a U-section.

Once again I have 'fudged' it a little with that silly little bit of girder projecting under the end at left. I thought it had to have some sort of support showing, but I can't do any sort of projecting brick or metal work low down there as the trains have to run under it. I agree with Doug regarding doing concrete pads - I was thinking the same for the surrounds where the small cross-girder "enters" the brickwork on that new bit (it is actually just butted flush with the brick face, but the illusion is there!).

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean the 2 HAP unit? That's Ayjay Models body shells and seats on Hornby 2 BIL chassis (all those cheap Southern olive 2 BILs that came on the market were a godsend as far as motorising and coupling the unit (and for the 'tin' 2 HAL I did earlier). 

I intend shaving off the moulded pipes and jumpers and adding white metal and brass bits instead. After that, it will go into BR blue with full yellow ends.

That's the one. I couldn't pick out the type from the photo. Very nice.

When I was at Lovers' Walk in the early 1980s the HAPs ran as permanently coupled four-car units (4-CAPs, i.e. Coastway HAPs) with the inner cabs decommissioned.

The 4 CAPs used BR standard style 2 HAPs. I have plans to convert some spare body shells from Bachmann 2 EPBs in to a BR HAP. The Ayjay kits represent the Bulleid style HAP, just for something a little more different. :)

• RMweb Premium

The 4 CAPs used BR standard style 2 HAPs. I have plans to convert some spare body shells from Bachmann 2 EPBs in to a BR HAP. The Ayjay kits represent the Bulleid style HAP, just for something a little more different. :)

Ah, didn't pick that up - your mention of 2-BIL chassis should have given me the clue. You're right, some of the CAPs were 1951 stock and some 1957. Nearly all the Bulleid EMUs had gone from revenue service by the time I was on the Southern, although there were some de-icers and Sandite units around. Only a few 4-SUBs were left and they finished while I was there - with the exception of 4732 which used to run charters/specials with 2-BIL 2090.

• Like 1

Ironically, the Bulleid-style HAPs (and 2 EPBs) were built in 1959, well after the BR-style ones! This came about because they used the recycled underframes from the scrapped 2 NOL units, hence the need for the slightly shorter SR-style bodies. That's by way of explanation for anyone unfamiliar with the SR units, although I am sure St Enodoc knew all this already.

And now, here is the bridge again from both sides, after a quick, and very rough, coat of grey paint to tone the work down until I am ready for the next stage of detailing. The whole bridge structure lifts off the layout for ease of access when doing such work.

I must say I rather like the viewpoint from the platform, although it is not one I normally see. It involves a little bit of contortion to see through the camera lens!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ironically, the Bulleid-style HAPs (and 2 EPBs) were built in 1959, well after the BR-style ones! This came about because they used the recycled underframes from the scrapped 2 NOL units, hence the need for the slightly shorter SR-style bodies. That's by way of explanation for anyone unfamiliar with the SR units, although I am sure St Enodoc knew all this already.

No I didn't know that - thanks. I had always assumed that the SR units came well before the BR ones. They had all gone before I went to Brighton, apart from the motor cars that went into refurbished EPBs. We didn't see suburban stock at Brighton very often, with the notable exception of the annual London - Brighton bike ride when a number of all-EPB specials were run to convey the cyclists and their bikes back to Victoria.

• RMweb Premium

No I didn't know that - thanks. I had always assumed that the SR units came well before the BR ones. They had all gone before I went to Brighton, apart from the motor cars that went into refurbished EPBs. We didn't see suburban stock at Brighton very often, with the notable exception of the annual London - Brighton bike ride when a number of all-EPB specials were run to convey the cyclists and their bikes back to Victoria.

Ah happy memories.  I managed ten London - Brighton Bike Rides (the organised ones - I managed perhaps 100 cycle trips between the two cities in total) and rather than face the huge queues of the late afternoon and early evening would wait until almost the last "bikex" when there was plenty of space and no wait to board.

EPB stock was used because it had direct loading from both sides into every seating bay and had loos-fitted seat cushions which were overturned to accommodate bikes in half the train.  Brighton and Victoria staff became very adept at quick loading and unloading of these trains which could be turned around in as little as 10 minutes.  Remarkable when you think they probably conveyed several hundred bikes and as many riders.

Formation was usually 3x4EPB though combinations with 2EPB units were not unknown.  6x2EPB was not normally permitted however as the slight additional length over five intermediate couplers was beyond the standard 12-car train and might have exceeded signal section lengths or platforms.  

Once EPB stock ceased to be available they tried using VEP units for a year or maybe two but without so much success.

Brighton-based riders were catered for by a convoy of up trains in the early morning.  The evening procession must have resembled Bank Holidays of old when added to the timetabled service.  I recall there was a note for signalmen at Balham in the 1950s to the effect that "Two reliable boys must be stationed (at Balham) to record trains and convey their running and likely arrival times to Victoria".  The running could be very lively.  Non-stop (or stopping only at East Croydon and Clapham Junction) meant that drivers could sometimes "have a go" and I well remember a night when we came through Earlswood and over the points not at the "sedate snail" pace that morning commuters often endure but more like "Will that thing stay on the track???"

There was also a brief period in the late 1960s / early 1970s when 4EPB units had diagrammed work to Brighton formed into the 12-car non-stop sets.  Some (2?) BR units had express gearing fitted for this reason.  The formation should have been Cig+Big+EPB but on some occasions the EPB ended up in the middle to the annoyance of customers at one and requiring the buffet car at the other!

Edited by Gwiwer

OK, progress is being made: I have added the support pillar, although it's not quite as square as I would like. I'll leave it in place and see what I think after a while. If I decide I don't like it, I'll work on the mark 2 version. At least this one will be useful as a template.

If I do keep it, I'll add a little corbelling and fill the gaps where it joins the main structure. Don't worry about the white glue - it was still drying wen I took the photos.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

OK, progress is being made: I have added the support pillar, although it's not quite as square as I would like. I'll leave it in place and see what I think after a while. If I decide I don't like it, I'll work on the mark 2 version. At least this one will be useful as a template.

If I do keep it, I'll add a little corbelling and fill the gaps where it joins the main structure. Don't worry about the white glue - it was still drying wen I took the photos.

That looks good to me.

Moving along the line a little (literally), I have done a little reseating and filling on the Wills stone viaduct section. The last arch in particular wasn't sitting properly, but is now much better. The filler is still in its raw, unfinished state - it has to harden properly before I attempt to sculpt it to match the stone courses.

After this, I'll be able to paint it properly (the existing paint was really just a rough wash to reduce the visual impact of the light grey plastic. I can't glue it into place yet as I still need easy access to the tracks behind to lay the third and fourth rails.

Wills%20Stone%20Viaduct%20Work%20-%205_z

Wills%20Stone%20Viaduct%20Work%20-%206_z

• Like 3