Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

they have made it look worse by bolting a big orange "zit" to the side!

i've said it before but the colas livery suits it well as its more angular, (go back a page to see a link to the, incorrect, artists impression to get an idea of how it will look) the only problem being now that the big bolt on bit goes right through the bodyside writing, i'm hoping only 70801 has it so i can renumber my respray to 70802

• RMweb Premium

they have made it look worse by bolting a big orange "zit" to the side!

i've said it before but the colas livery suits it well as its more angular, (go back a page to see a link to the, incorrect, artists impression to get an idea of how it will look) the only problem being now that the big bolt on bit goes right through the bodyside writing, i'm hoping only 70801 has it so i can renumber my respray to 70802

At least it looks like they've got the orange/yellow the right way round this time..........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

the new batch of colas 70s have the extra boxes fitted too, according to another forum they are extra cooling fans after freightliner had problems with overheating at low speeds

they are not as noticable once painted the same colour as the rest of the loco, hmmmmm how do i know that?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Bachmann do a 70/8. they'll include this mod (along with the flush cabsides....).

A local rumour is that a 70/8 will end up on the S&C log train..... the 56 yesterday was having "fun" on my local 1 in 120 gradient.

Here's hoping.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

i've not heard what they will be used on yet

by yesterday i hope you meant friday as i was on it saturday and i'd be in trouble if i came past your house as i still dont sign it!

Yesterday was indeed Friday - that's the problem with my late night surfing. Sometimes lose track of time!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I thought some were originally slated for the Immingham to Santon iron ore trains, since Class 66's can't handle the wagons more than 1/4 full.

But no sign as yet.

Only if Colas or Freightliner had the Immingham ore duty......

I don't think the wagons are fully loaded anyway. as iron ore is so dense -  the wagons were full, they would be too heavy for any loco, even a 60.

Incidentally - how does a 70 compare in haulage to a 60? We know that 66's don't compare at all and there were trials with 59's against 60's, with the 60 coming out marginally better (cue pro-GM flaming..... :O [*]), but I wonder how traction control has moved on since the Sepex of the 60's?

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT - [*] just realised that flaming is probably more appropriate to GE products....

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

The Class 60 was a better design than generally given credit for I think, especially when compared to the somewhat lacklustre Class 66. From an accountants point of view the 66 was probably great as they were cheap to buy and can pull trains, although it'd be interesting to do a cost analysis of through life costs relative to other designs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Classic quote on the linked facebook page from Beast.

Anyone else notice that locos built for export are, well, just downright ugly?

Can't say that all the US stuff is pretty..........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Don't those photos show how ridiculously small our loading gauge is?

They can transport our locos on a flat wagon, not even a well-type. :O

Try this for size......

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=457051&nseq=6

And then there's the mahoosive Schnabel car, the biggest of the lot-

http://www.lswci.com/schnabel2005.html

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 8