St. Mabyn

kristian1401

In all honesty I think I'm probably better sticking with OO in the space I have, and saving the O gauge for the day I have either a loft or garden to play with - although I'd probably do a circle of O and a circle of OO if I had a garden as it seems such a shame not to...

Having said that, I'm still struggling to find something I'm happy with in OO in the space I have, partly for the same reason my O project seems to be epic fail before it even begins. I think I just want too much and can't work out what to miss!

I'm off to bed shortly for getting up at stupid o'clock in the morning (snow willing, of course) so I'll enjoy the pictures in the morning.

Hi Cromptonnut,

I can fully appreciate that thought! I was the same when I started Clifford Road in OO gauge - id downsized from loco-hauled trains to DMUs to make it fit better, but added a small yard to give me the interest. Even then I struggled to get what I wanted ... which was something that would hold my interest. I walked away from it for about six or seven weeks and came back with a very logical head and said ok, I want realism, I want something that will keep me occupied and it needs to be achievable within my skill and not have a stupid timeframe to finish it! Thats when I went to O and said ok, if I go for a loco depot, then I can get all of that - and the longest train is two locos! I think its one area where you've really got to find that fine line between what you want to do and what you can do in the space! A lot depends on where your enjoyment sits, running the layout or wanting to do scenary etc... and get it looking good! Sorry to hijack the thread!

Kristian, glad to hear your progressing. Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you find the camera! I must say I don't think i'd have taken a quarter of the number I have if i didn't have a decent camera on the phone!!!! Having said that I must get the SLR out and take some decent shots!

Keep us up to date mate.

Rich

I think the big struggle I'm having at the moment is selling a lot of my OO collection to fund a move to O gauge, and then if I realise that I've made a mistake, not only have I lost money in the move over, I'll lose money in the move back too.

Lack of confidence in my skills? Maybe. So little rtr in O gauge (especially for the modern modeller - wagons etc there don't seem to be many kits that I've found either) plus when it's kitbuilt having to paint it too worries me spending £100 on something that's just going to end up a bodge.

I wish I had time to visit/join a club - unfortunately I don't have a lot of access to any encouragement or brains to pick, for all the highly talented individuals here on RMWEB to bounce things off there's nothing like sitting down in real life with someone and a pile of paper thrashing out some ideas.

Hi Cromptonnut,

Just thought I'd add a comment here,

Yes, O gauge does appear expensive, but....

I model in several scales / gauges;

n, oo, EM, 0-16.5, and O !!!!

There is a theory which I've mentioned several times,

and at risk of repeating myself.....

In any given area, you end up spending roughly the same money,

e.g. in 12 feet by 2 you would probably want;

n gauge - 15 locos, 12-15 coaches, 40-50 wagons

00 / EM etc - 7-8 locos, 6 coaches, 20 -30 wagons

for the same space in O - 2 locos, 3 coaches, 10 or 12 wagons

so it costs the same, per square inch - whatever scale you model in

- well, that's the theory anyway, and I think there may be at least some truth in it!

A while back, I built a small O gauge layout, in just under 6 feet - incl fiddle yard / sector plate

here is the link

Minimum space O gauge -Marc SMith

This uses just 1 point, and can be run using 1 loco and 7 or 8 wagons.

As regards cost / messing up a loco,

it is still possible to get a relatively cheap loco-

I've got an industrial 0-6-0 diesel shunter made by Atlas.

(Lima used to make a few 0-4-0 examples, which again can be bought fairly cheaply.

Alphagraphics do a card kit of a coal-tram loco, for about six quid - but you'll need a motor-

maybe an old OO motor, from an old Lima/Hornby?)

These may not be everyones cup of tea, but they're still pretty cheap

(got my Atlas for under £50 on ebay) and can be a good introduction to the scale...

A bit of "anglicisation, and you've got a reasonable model.

It just gives you a chance to have a bit of a play about with the scale,

and the different materials....

Re wagons, if you go along to the O gauge show in Telford,

you'll see the number of modern kits is growing.

For slightly older wagons, there's also Skytrex,

who do a damn good china clay hood (I couldn't get that detail on the canvas hood!)

I think it's always worth starting small,

whatever scale you're doing. A micro layout is a good intro,

if you're unsure of any technique....

you end up not spending too much time and money,

and with O gauge, I think you'll find it holds it's resale value....

Personally, I think I'd even opt for modelling a single-track halt /

goods shed / yard etc - just for a bit of "play" or experimentaion...

It's surprising how much fun can be had, and how satisfying it can be.

Appologies for rambling, and for hijacking this thread

Cheers

Marc :D

Further appologies,

but this is a shot of my scenic sector-plate.

This is a model of an embankment. It's about 27 inches long,

and will unbolt from the layout, so I can photograph stock on it

(in daylight, but not in the current weather :lol: )

I think it almost stands as a model in its' own right,

I just thought I'd include a link, to illustrate my point in the post above...

But it could be a low-relief warehouse etc etc

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/16031-a-lone-mineral-wagon-waits-on-llanycefn-bank/

Cheers & appologies yet again :rolleyes:

Marc

Thank you everybody for hijacking my thread will i was sleeping.......... nah i joke, it doesnt matter! anything O gauge is helpful!

Ill try to get an update about 3, i Found my camera, i just need to spend time doing the write up. Cheers guys for the support :) youll see its worth it when i post the pictures etc

Cheers

Kristian :)

Sorry guys had no time to put the pictures up but im just going to fill you in whats happened,

I have finished all 4 mineral wagons, 1 has transfers, 3 dont

BR standard Box van completed painted and weatherd! Looks lovely with bits of rust and bare plank

not alot else tonight!

CHeers

Kristian

Hello got some pictures of my updates

These show the track laid out on cork,

My 4 new mineral wagons on a train,

and my BR standard wagon before i weatherd it

This shows the overall layout and what ive achieved

post-5519-0-02769800-1293050306_thumb.jpg

This shows that 2 long coachs will fit in my run round

post-5519-0-30283400-1293050363_thumb.jpg

Shows my BR standard wagon after painting, i thought it went exceptionally well.

post-5519-0-36404100-1293050438_thumb.jpg

post-5519-0-66032800-1293050512_thumb.jpg

post-5519-0-63506700-1293050657_thumb.jpg

Errol Lonsdale taking some of the new wagons out for 'a spin'

post-5519-0-33756800-1293050716_thumb.jpg

post-5519-0-33438000-1293050861_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys sorry for the long wait!

But i think they're well on there way along with the rest of the layout!

There's a reasonable amount of brass in the kit, but the tank is made from 3 bits of plastic that need attaching, filling and sanding. The tank does need some tlc to get it looking right, but it's a lovely wagon when its done...

On the plus side the kit comes included with working brass sprung 'w' irons.

If you are modeling a later era, you would need to get the add on handrail pack I think..

JB.

ah ok, might be my first introduction into Brass building kits? As ive always gone for Plastic Injected moulding plastics, Ok, how long does the tank take to get right? Out of curiousity!

Ah yes ive built another SLaters BR standard Box van, didnt have Working W irons, runs perfect though, But Brass W irons i can imagine are alot smoother running?

Kristian

The working W irons will allow the wagon to run a lot better over uneven track.. To be honest, it's more of a Scale7 thing with it's much finer flanges really, but it certainly cant do any harm with 32mmF/S.

I would probably allow about 4-5 hours to get the tank just right really, though the rest of the kit still needs a bit of attention to get it right too... It's certainly a step up from a standard Slaters wagon kit, but if you never try anything a little more difficult, one can never improve their skills.. laugh.gif

JB.

Yes ive always ,liked working W irons, especially in the dip of the peco points...... My peckett basically falls in the hole in the track!

Well thats not too bad, i dont mind complicated tasks aslong as there not impossible! perhpas i might invest in one of these shortly :D But i dont know how well one of these tanks would fit in my layout area :S

Kristian

Come to the conclusion that I can't fit in a passenger service if it's not a DMU as I don't have the room for the visible section and a fiddle yard to hold a train! Given my era, one or two carriage loco hauled service just didn't happen so I need preferably 4 carriages - and with a loco on the front I reckon that's basically the entire layout's space!

Cromptonnut

Sorry to drop this in from away back(only just seen the thread), but might I suggest this as a possible answer to your problem - from RMweb3

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4293&hilit=Sutton+Road+Yorkshire+pullman&sid=a8aa8e8bc96f37156d034afbd3ea1003

What manafacturer of ballast is the best to used? personal opininos of people, i was thinking of PECO?

Hi Kristian,

Layout is looking good mate ... I take it the two coaches are an autocoach and a Collect 'B'? Looks like the makings of a good layout! Glad to see your progressing.

I've used Carr's ballast from C&L Finescale -its the light grey, but as I commented in a post on my thread a few days ago, I think it may work better being partially mixed with Light Grey and Dark Grey to remove the uniformity of it.

Keep going though - its coming on well!

Rich

Archived