Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Great to see that this is still going.  Some brilliant work on the gantries.  Like the different elements of that layout drawn from various locations yet looking 'right' together.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Further signalling developments:  I originally intended for there to be two gantries at the east end of Northbridge, but having found it so easy and cheap (if a little time consuming) to build the signal heads I now have plans for five gantries and two free standing signals, the second gantry is a freelance design controlling the exit from the two bi-directional tracks onto the single line to the fiddle yard.  This was made from Plastic Girders with the walkway made from the base of an old Dapol Girder Bridge.

12451471765_eb9d448246_c.jpg
Layout feb 008 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr.

This has still got the two simple two aspect heads to be fitted, these are currently being fabricated.

I was originally not going to model the signals controlling movements into the station as these would need theatre indicators showing up to five routes, the plan was to assume that these were ground signals in the tunnels.  But then the old grey matter started scheming.  It had been a long held ambition to make theatre displays but the only way that I could only see these being built would be by using calculator displays (I have seen it done) but having no knowledge of electronics I dismissed that idea (I also didn’t think the slanted numbers looked prototypical).  I had some strands of fibre optic stripped off an old Xmas tree so I started experimenting with these and came up with this pair of contraptions

12451632073_c96f953dd3_c.jpg
Layout feb 001 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

What we have here is a theatre head made from two layers of thick plasticard, drilled out with 20 x 0.7mm holes positioned using a paper template created in Microsoft Paint.  The strands of fibre optic are then pushed through and glued with superglue gel at the back.  The relative strands are then grouped together to form the letters or numbers as desired, these are then threaded into a battery of short lengths of 3mm aluminium tube and a white LED pushed in the other end. Copious amounts of “UHU” hold everything together.   I originally tried grain of wheat bulbs but the heat generated by seven grain of wheat bulbs stacked together was dangerously high!!

12451631243_c9354e78bb_c.jpg
Layout feb 002 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

One signal has only three lengths allowing the signal to display “1”, “F” an “L” (platform 1, freight lines or loco loop), the other has seven tubes allowing the same “1”, “F” an “L” plus “4” and “5” for platforms 4 and 5.  I have not photographed this one as I was not happy with the brightness and cropped the fibre optics and it is currently setting after being re-glued.

The signal on test

12451629953_33ac24b7bf_c.jpg
Layout feb 005 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr.

12451975304_cf4bdd6f83_c.jpg

Layout feb 004 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

12451976414_d05c03ffa9_c.jpg

Layout feb 003 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

The obvious shortcoming about this method is the bulk of the wires/tubes/LEDs ect required to operate the signal, this however does not really matter as I am mounting the signals immediately above the tunnel mouths (see below), so the plan is to bury the operating system under layers of scenic scatter, with some strategically placed overhanging foliage to mask the fibre optic strands.

12451477975_247d176484_c.jpg

Layout feb 009 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

I will keep you all up to date with further progress

Cheers

Jim

• Like 3

Hi Alex - This has been in the planning stage for about a month, first prototype was nearly ready then two of the fibre optic strands snapped after they were glued and ruined the whole signal head and as I said I had my fingers burned (literally) when I used grain of wheat bulbs in the inital trial.  I still have a good bit of work to do, the logic matrix is still to be completed (using old GPO relays), but I will get there.

Are you heading along to Model Rail Scotland, I am going on the Sunday, might see you there!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Still undecided about ModelRail.  If I go, though, it'll be on the Friday.  Can't usually do Sundays as they are a working day for me; they are sort of 'an occupational hazard' .....  :superstition:

Another from our shared past, Andy (aka 'Sparky Spice'!), will be there; if you're looking for him he'll be on the 'Scottish Modellers' stand or in the office.  I wonder if he can be persuaded to change his username here to that?  :jester:

To return to topic though, what are you using for the stone and timber walling?  Whatever it is, it does look effective.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Jim,

Still undecided about ModelRail.  If I go, though, it'll be on the Friday.  Can't usually do Sundays as they are a working day for me; they are sort of 'an occupational hazard' .....  :superstition:

Another from our shared past, Andy (aka 'Sparky Spice'!), will be there; if you're looking for him he'll be on the 'Scottish Modellers' stand or in the office.  I wonder if he can be persuaded to change his username here to that?  :jester:

To return to topic though, what are you using for the stone and timber walling?  Whatever it is, it does look effective.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex - you might see Brian Kettle at the show, think he is going on the Friday!!

Regarding the stone and timber walling, I use the Scalescenes modelling papers almost exclusively, I have access to a high quality laser printer which helps, and means that I have (almost) no limitations on how much I can print!!

Cheers

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dear dear, two months without an update!  I have not however been idle, I have been working slowly away on the Northbridge Signalling project and have finished the last gantry, a two three aspect head gantry, both with feathers.  The process followed for the other signal heads was followed but the feathers are proprietary eckon products

14385191285_ae81f675c5_c.jpgLayout June 2014 003 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Viewed from track level it looks better, but this shot shows up debris which I will need to clear away.

14198641930_b78a8cb276_c.jpgLayout June 2014 005 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

As a break from making signals I decided to fill in the wide open spaces at the platform end, so I made a staff amenities and signing on block, deliberately in a more modern style to provide a contrast from the other older style buildings.  The prototype for this building was Chessington station building which struck me as a typical example of an early 60s railway building that could be found anywhere in the UK.

14384201524_0039834853_c.jpgLayout June 2014 010 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

For this I used my tried and tested method of a card structure with brick paper coverage.  The window frames and sills are plastic strip and the skylight is the Ratio product.  For a finishing touch I added the Dart castings fire buckets kit

14198749527_b2b81375c2_c.jpgLayout June 2014 008 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

I wanted a bit of difference on the station sign, so I mixed up some light red paint and fine ballast to create the impression of the Scottish decorative stone of choice, the "red chips", this shot also shows some platform edge faults that need corrected.

14385183095_7d42ef497c_c.jpgLayout June 2014 007 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

To fill the rather featureless bit between the tunnel mouths, I bought a kit for the standard LNER platelayers hut from the Glasgow show, looks quite good painted up

14362084896_3d63070392_c.jpgLayout June 2014 015 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Couple of general views

14385171195_30ed6019ff_c.jpgLayout June 2014 013 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

14362090646_f880318749_c.jpgLayout June 2014 011 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

That's all for now, Cheers

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Really nice layout, I've only just come accross it from your post on the Inspirational Layouts topic.

I congratulate you for managing to build ANY sort of layout in a prefabricated A-frame loft space, let alone an extensive mainline one!

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Jim,

Really nice layout, I've only just come accross it from your post on the Inspirational Layouts topic.

I congratulate you for managing to build ANY sort of layout in a prefabricated A-frame loft space, let alone an extensive mainline one!

Cheers, Dave.

Thank Dave - yes it is a bit of a challenge, work is still going on with the layout, hopefully post some updates soon!!

Jim

A few latest Photographs, all of the Gateside terminus, where the Goods Station, Locomotive Shed ans fueliing point (thanks to Brian Daniels for photograph once again) are now completed, the signalbox (my first attempt at true scratchbuilding) is close to completion, quite thrilled that this has turned out as well, it is far from perfect not not bad for a relative beginer I think.

Fuelling Point, based on Ferryhill

attachicon.giflayout 064.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 065.jpg

Locomotive Depot - a kitbashed job involving three Dapol Kits, card and plasticard

attachicon.giflayout 066.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 067.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 068.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 069.jpg

The Goods Depot now complete

attachicon.giflayout 070.jpg

Buchanan Street Signal Box, still to glaze and put an interior in, chimney pots and brackets also to do.

attachicon.giflayout 072.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 073.jpg

Jim

It's a while back - I'm doing some research - really like the Fuel Pump housing.

Ian

Finally, after nearly a years toil, I managed to get all the Northbridge Signals working and properly interlocked.  It has been one hard slog, thanks to broken wires, misidentified wires, blown LEDs you name it!!

A few photographs, first off the Northbridge Brain mark 2, before being moved into position behind the panel

16244471509_e387c389b3_c.jpglayout january 2014 001 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

Close up of the relays

16429787942_83d5cef7f2_c.jpglayout january 2014 002 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

And the nice side of the project, signals NB1 and NB2

15810672423_7f1aa349e7_c.jpglayout january 2014 006 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

The gantry, with signals NB3 - 6, NB4 is cleared for a route up of platform 1.  Ground signal 12 can also be seen

16243313270_3749f06341_c.jpglayout january 2014 007 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

The smaller gantry with signals 7 and 8, new kid on the block gets the road

15810670453_8615e07ffb_c.jpglayout january 2014 008 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

My pride and joy, signal 9 with the working theatre route indicator, set for a route into platform 5

16243063278_7beeba5511_c.jpglayout january 2014 009 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

I have got one of these mini cameras, will try and take some drivers eye videos soon.

Very happy bunny

Jim

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - Tonight I made my first attempt at making trees, having tried to absorb the tips and tricks of other modellers on here.  For the basis of the bigger trees, I trimmed some twigs from a bush in my garden at the weekend, they looked quite good for a trunk and branch basis

This one as yet unused looks a bit wind blown

15930203634_66ce75cb4d_c.jpgfebruary 2015 012 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

This one is a work in progress, I used two cut twigs and used some modelling clay to build a thicker trunk, this is still to set and get textured and painted.  The foliage was formed using the teased out hanging basket fibre, which was then liberally sprayed with a cheap hairspray before applying scenic materials, unfortunately I ran out of the heavier stuff so further work was postponed until I get some more on Friday at the show.

16365335640_466f3efc49_c.jpgfebruary 2015 011 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

Managed to get some completed

16526789856_da47e9d082_c.jpgfebruary 2015 010 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

15932623223_259b53d1bd_c.jpgfebruary 2015 007 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

After looking at the pictures I spotted a good few areas where I need to tweak the foliage to make it look better, but I managed to achieve my goal of hiding the Fibre optics leading to the signals.  Haven't enjoyed myself as much up the loft for a while as I did tonight.

Jim

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - quick photo check of my latest loco, single chimney Bachmann A2 60534 Irish Elegance running Light engine into Northbridge from the east, while double chimney A1 60156 Great Central sits at the head of an express in Platform 1.  Great Central is a bit off the beaten track, as it is usually on the Gateside to FIddle North (Aberdeen) roster

16629735257_dc0da05784_c.jpgLayout March 2015 007 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

16650917119_a06eea8d06_c.jpgLayout March 2015 006 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

16649468318_f1a6931035_c.jpgLayout March 2015 005 by Lowland Locomotives, on Flickr

Jim

• Like 7

I was wondering about the lack of comment or interest in my thread when I remembered a message from Andy informing me of links to malware from some of the early photographs used in messages which may put off anyone reading the thread who had previously been affected.  Thanks to Andy the links were removed, indeed the website that I used had to be completely shut down such was the issue, to any who were inconvenienced I extend my heart felt apologies. Please be assured there is no risk to readers now, all photographs are either on the Rweb server or my Flickr account.

Or mayby I am just a poor modeller, if so let me know as I am not averse to constructive criticism. :thankyou:

Cheers

Jim Howie

• 5 months later...
For Mavisbank, I thought I would have a go at making colour light shunt signals.  I have seen off the shelf models and a couple of hole made designs, But I had an idea in my mind which has now been put into practise and lo and behold I have got this working, it is cheap, easy and effective representation of the modern BR shunt signal.  Above ground the signal is made from thick plasticard, cut and drilled, then mounted on a plasticard base.  The example has a non working route indication, this I felt was a step too far to get working.

Drill out the plasticard to take 1mm diameter fibre optic cable, make a sharp bend using pliers before threading through the plasticard (this is probably the trickiest part of the job)

For the under baseboard LED mount, I used 5mm ply salvaged from scrap and drilled three holes to take 3mm bore aluminium tube, the LEDs are then pushed into the tubes and glued in place, use two white and one red LED (or one yellow if applicable)

Connect up the required resistors and then run wire to the switches, mine work off relays which are activated when the correct route is set.

This is the unit that goes under the baseboard

Wires connected up for testing, stop indication, one red and one white light

and the indication for the proceed aspect - two white lights

The unit is then glued to the underside of the baseboard and the fibre optics fed into the tube

Before positioning the signal I checked the aspect

Stop = one white light and one red light side by side

Proceed  = two white lights at 45 degrees

Just need to get a spot of black paint in the signal and glue in position, total cost is very low, three LEDs, two resistors and some 1mm Fibre Optic, bits of scrap wood and a length of 3mm bore tube, probably works out about £2 per signal

Go on - try it!!

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Or mayby I am just a poor modeller, if so let me know as I am not averse to constructive criticism. :thankyou:

Cheers

Jim Howie

Just caught up with this thread again.  

Jim, you are a very fine modeller, your layout speaks for itself!  And as for the phenomenal signalling, I'm still looking for the "Strewth!" button...

All the best,

Dave.

Hi everyone - I read with interest some comments on another thread regarding the “neglected, if not forgotten, art of designing for operation”. As I get easily bored with repetitive movements, Gateside and Northbridge has evolved around a basic need to have a fully operational timetable that sustains interest over a long period of time, the layout is therefore designed with the timetable in mind, don't get me wrong, there are “pinch points”, but that reflects railway practice and adds interest.

On a previous, smaller incarnation of this layout, the timetable was run “to the clock” with trains having set periods of dwell in hidden parts of the layout, but this one has got a bit like Topsy and has grown beyond the capability of one operator to run to the clock, and all operations are now purely sequential.

The first tool in setting up the timetable is the Formation Planner, this is part of an Excel spreadsheet with each piece of rolling stock listed in columns along the top, and each working listed in rows down the side.  The composition of each working is shown by the intersecting box, with the position of the coach in the train shown by the number 1,2,3,4 etc.  If the piece of stock is stabled, a colour code indicates where that will be, blue for Fiddle North, green for Gateside, orange for Northbridge etc.  Text boxes contain notes of shunts or other special moves.  The Formation Planner is essential for checking where each piece of rolling stock is located so that you don’t plan a move when the coaches are on the other side of the layout!  There is a separate sheet for the locomotive roster, this is linked back to the formation planner via the fourth column.  It takes a bit of fine tuning, particularly at the end of the “day” to ensure that everything is in the correct position for the start of the next day.  Note that this is purely for passenger and parcels, freight is run on an ad-hoc basis as fixed rakes, occasionally getting in the way of the passenger trains

post-188-0-24773500-1441621826_thumb.jpg

With the planner complete, the Working Timetable can then be compiled, this is based as accurately as possible on the prototype but us rarely used as the planner works as the operations manual.  The timetable is relatively simple in its core, the interest is added with parcels vans being added and removed, changes to formation of the Gateside to Fiddle North trains and the sleeping cars early and late in the day.

post-188-0-41535700-1441621875.jpg

Hope that this shows that "the art" is alive and kicking at Gateside and Northbridge

Jim

• Like 5

Woo Hoo!!  I really nice Saturday, SWIMBO went off to town and left me to my own devices and my team beat their local rivals 3-1.  I used the time productively and finished the wiring for Mavisbank signals.  I only took the one photo with the phone to check the aspects, this threw up a bad back light leak on the platform 3 starter, needs blanking off, and the shunt signal from the shed is the wrong way round.  The white is in the wrong position

Jim

• Like 2