The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Very pleased with Leicester's 2-1 F.A.Cup win with a weakened team at Norwich this afternoon.

Just desserts for Norwich, after their pathetic inability to organise "proper segregation" so that our supporters could have the regulation 15% ticket allocation for visiting support, as laid down in the F.A.Cup competition rules.

We should have had over 4,000 tickets, but were restricted to just 2,500 and our support declared "high risk" by the local H & S committee, despite taking 8,000 supporters to Nottingham Forest in an earlier round with no incidents of note.

Mind you, judging from the commentary, we didn't need any more support there today, as the Carrow Road home support were inaudible throughout the match.

Couldn't go myself because the above.

Not a footie fan myself, but it seemed an appropriate thread for a slightly gloomy shot from today of Rotherham's new stadium (New York - named after the area of the town). It's shot up really quickly, seemingly twice as fast as the new station.

Still conveniently located for Booth's scrapyard (?), it stands on part of the site of the old Guest & Chrimes brass taps factory, some of which still stands. The other new building you can see behind is the new council offices.

The train's heading towards Sheffield and the Peak Forest area via the Great Central line, and the single line in the foreground is the 1980s chord from Rotherham Central back up to the Midland.

post-6971-0-78136900-1329859608.jpg

• Like 1

Football, eh? Bloody hell...

West Ham go back to the top of The Championship, in the most unbelievable way.

Dominating the first half, they go 2-0 up, before Blackpool pull one back on the stroke of half-time.

Early in the second half, Robert Green is sent off, and with no 'keeper on the bench, Henri Lansbury, a midfielder, goes in goal.

Yet, with ten men and an outfield player between the sticks, not only do West Ham hold on, they score two more, and run out 4-1 winners.

Stunned is not the word! :O

Yes, Big Sam seems to have the measure of Ollie all right. Always liked West Ham's football philosophy though it must be a worry having a player sent off in nearly every game. I don't doubt they will go up as champions. As for Blackpool we are back in the old hit and miss routine.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't Lansbury play as emergency keeper for England u21s once? He's a very useful guy to have around - hope Arsenal decide to let him go.....

When I heard Green had been red carded, I thought "That's it, we're done for" - just very glad to be wrong. Ian Holloway was gracious in defeat as ever, but what a performance by the Hammers! I can't believe that the "old" West Ham would have shown such backbone (especially away from home), although 3 red cards in as many games is a bit of a worry.

Front side went down 5-4 on pens in the Brighton Charity Cup. I was running the line for the Reserves, who lost 3-2 but, frankly, were robbed. 10 minutes to go, Ball runs back to the Rye 'keeper. He fannies around, trying to delay until the last moment before grabbing the loose ball, under pressure from our number 10. He bends down to get it, Marcus sticks out a boot and scores. Ref points to the centre for a goal. Players of both sides are running back, Rye players moaning, and all of a sudden (a good 10 seconds at least after the ball had gone in the net), the Rye (at Reserve level, both sides provide a linesman) linesman suddenly sticks his flag up. Ref goes over for a chat, goal disallowed as the 'keeper apparently had two hands on the ball. Talking to various people behind the goal, including a qualified ref and an ex Manager, he didn't have anything on the ball. Ref, by the way, was 30 yards away so couldn't see either way (he told me that he had no idea after the game, so I don't blame him for going by his assistant at all.

I don't mind running the line (although I ache now!), and I may not always be in line with play all the time (I blame the fags), but I don't cheat like that.

72 points from 32 games. I am literally the happiest football fan on the planet right now. After five years in the wilderness, it looks like Charlton Athletic might be on their way back up. We have the nicest manager in all the four divisions, a squad that is passionate about the club, and fans who have suddenly come back to life after the dour Dowie - Parkinson years. What topped off today was a nearly full stadium - 26,610 out of 27,100. In League 1.

The magic of the game!

• Like 2

The trading results for Blackpool FC are out and as expected show a big improvement thanks to last season's spell in the Prem. Turnover increased from £9.4 million to £51.7 million. Just to illustrate that all the money does not go on players wages the following may be of interest. This has enabled the club to install new ticketing and turnstile equipment, new floodlights, refurbish bars and club shop and build a new stand in the south east corner. Still no undersoil heating though. Only £3.5 million has been spent on new players, following club record receipts for players sold. This leaves the club with an operating profit around £20 million, with parachute payments totalling £58 million in the next four years. I think this shows why the same few clubs are relegation and promotion candidates year after year. Wouldn't be surprised if West Ham, Birmingham, and Blackpool gain promotion this season. (Actually wishful thinking about Blackpool).

with parachute payments totalling £58 million in the next four years. I think this shows why the same few clubs are relegation and promotion candidates year after year. Wouldn't be surprised if West Ham, Birmingham, and Blackpool gain promotion this season. (Actually wishful thinking about Blackpool).

Now there's a cunning plan. Sounds like good business to me.

But Blackpool had a policy of not spending on the squad, didn't they? Even if it meant going straight back down - as happened. perhaps a good idea after what happened to Bradford City. For our younger readers, the chairman thought they'd have only one season in the PL, and budgetted accordingly. Unfortunately for him, they stayed up on the last day of the season, so that he was more or less forced into buying more expensive players in order to keep it going; and when they went down the following season, they were lumbered with these players, and so went bust.

Not only Bradford City, there are several clubs that went into relative obscurity after relegation from the Prem. When you look at the sums involved as parachute payments, TV rights, and the like you have to wonder where all the money went.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

The Guardian had a link to this video on their football pages http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2012/feb/29/goalkeeper-scores-wind-assisted-own-goal-video

It's amusing, but the Grauniad's conclusion is quite wrong.

I haven't been able to find any reports of the match, and the video is edited to exclude the referee's decision, but I would be very surprised if a goal was awarded. I realise it was a friendly, from the bits of information I have found, but awarding a goal would be a terrible error.

Law 16 states that a goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team. The restart is a corner kick, assuming the ball left the penalty area (which it appears to have done) and the goalkeeper did not touch the ball after taking the kick (which I don't believe he did.) He is better off not touching the ball because the CK would be less of a danger than an indirect free kick in front of the goal on the six yard line.

Shame the journalists don't read the laws of the game once in a while.

The Guardian had a link to this video on their football pages http://www.guardian....-own-goal-video

It's amusing, but the Grauniad's conclusion is quite wrong.

I haven't been able to find any reports of the match, and the video is edited to exclude the referee's decision, but I would be very surprised if a goal was awarded. I realise it was a friendly, from the bits of information I have found, but awarding a goal would be a terrible error.

Law 16 states that a goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team. The restart is a corner kick, assuming the ball left the penalty area (which it appears to have done) and the goalkeeper did not touch the ball after taking the kick (which I don't believe he did.) He is better off not touching the ball because the CK would be less of a danger than an indirect free kick in front of the goal on the six yard line.

Shame the journalists don't read the laws of the game once in a while.

I think that, technically, the correct decision should have been a re-take of the goal kick, the decision made as soon as the kick was taken - the ball was moving when the keeper hit it. (Though how you could make a ball sit still in those conditions,I do not know!)

For reasons known only to the people who wrote them, the law doesn't require the ball to be stationary for a goal kick. US Soccer's Advice to Referees tells us to infer that it should be from the way the law for the other kicked restarts are written. You're correct, though if you'd previously been turning a blind eye to that one due to the conditions you might open yourself to criticism. And as you say, you ought to make the decision immediately. I think most refs would regard it as trifling, especially in that wind.

I haven't been able to find anything about what actually happened in the match (a friendly between Maccabi Haifa and Dynamo Kiev).

• RMweb Gold

Villas Boas sacked - Di Matteo interim manager until end of the season.

Hardly surprising but what an insane payoff that will be.

Put your money on Mourinho coming back.