The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

The motorway around Manchester has been renumbered as the M6 1.

May I refer you to the Layout & Workbench Content Zone?

Hint - run your mouse over the heading.

Kevin Martin

Whats wrong with Allardyce ? He doesn't encourage pretty football but this is a results game.

I think it might more a case of grudging respect than a spontaneous outpouring of "love" for Allardyce but the ends justify the means these days.

• RMweb Premium

I'm in two minds about Allardyce - after the Grant debacle, anyone (except maybe Glenn Roeder) would have been an improvement! I certainly didn't look forward to his arrival, but if "winning ugly" gets WHU back to the Prem, then I think I can live with it for a while. Yes, Sam has no West Ham "history" and his methods are a bit uncompromising (to say the least) but at least now we have a team capable of getting stuck in, matching tackle for tackle and grinding out the odd undeserved result like at Brighton last night.

I often think back to the "good old days" of Bonds, Brooking, Lampard(snr), Cross, Devonshire etc, but those years were peppered with home defeats and relegation struggles too. All too often the team lacked resilience and despite all the attractive play would still concede goals - all too often it was all for nothing.

Give Allardyce a chance, he deserves the benefit of the doubt (for now).

Whats wrong with Allardyce ? He's taken West Ham up to 2nd and should get them up. Maybe he doesn't encourage pretty football but this is a results game. Hammers fans will love him if they get promotion and stay in the Premier League.

And that's the problem. He's completely the wrong fit for West Ham unless you buy into the 'promotion at all costs' mantra, which the board have admitted is not necessary, as their business model for the Olympic Stadium still works if West Ham are in the Championship.

I know a lot of older fans who are very unhappy with the style of football they are seeing and don't reckon it'll improve, even if we get back to the Prem.

Now he's taken El-Hadji Diouf on trial. A poll on the leading fan's website says 80% fans are against him being signed.

Edited by Del

And that's the problem. He's completely the wrong fit for West Ham unless you buy into the 'promotion at all costs' mantra, which the board have admitted is not necessary, as their business model for the Olympic Stadium still works if West Ham are in the Championship.

I know a lot of older fans who are very unhappy with the style of football they are seeing and don't reckon it'll improve, even if we get back to the Prem.

Now he's taken El-Hadji Diouf on trial. A poll on the leading fan's website says 80% fans are against him being signed.

Surely given the lucrative nature of the Premier League, you can understand the owners wanting to go back up at the first attempt?

Alladyce's football doesn't appeal to me either, but sometimes you have to like it and lump it. West Ham managed to offload/lose two very skilled managers whose teams DID play attractive football over the last decade, and two other very sensible signings who managed to keep them up twice.

I can't believe that Alladyce isn't being hailed for taking the Hammers to 2nd at this point in time...

• RMweb Premium

Del, I think more than anything else it's the possible signing of the disgusting Diouf that keeps me in two minds about Allardyce - signing him would really be beyond the pale. He's a loathsome embarrassment, best confined to richly deserved obscurity - and he'd be a complete liability!

• Like 1

Surely given the lucrative nature of the Premier League, you can understand the owners wanting to go back up at the first attempt?

Alladyce's football doesn't appeal to me either, but sometimes you have to like it and lump it. West Ham managed to offload/lose two very skilled managers whose teams DID play attractive football over the last decade, and two other very sensible signings who managed to keep them up twice.

I can't believe that Alladyce isn't being hailed for taking the Hammers to 2nd at this point in time...

I can sort of understand the owners motivation, but they are supposedly lifelong West Ham supporters who should recognise the traditions of the club. :rtfm:

Zola kept the team up and he had the start of a good squad. But they chucked him out and replaced him with the (mostly) ineffective Grant.

Should never have got rid of Pardew :nono:

• Like 1

Del, I think more than anything else it's the possible signing of the disgusting Diouf that keeps me in two minds about Allardyce - signing him would really be beyond the pale. He's a loathsome embarrassment, best confined to richly deserved obscurity - and he'd be a complete liability!

Mmmm didn't know about the Diouff 'signing'. Actualy quite a good player, BUT his attitude ( and spitting habit ) leave a lot to be desired. Think West Ham can do without him.

I've read the last few posts with interest regarding our 'new' manager and 'styles' of football not being a clubs way. But let me ask you all a question, would you forsake attractive football for success???

I mean, it's all well and good playing attractive, flowing football if your winning, but if your team are playing that kind of football and not winning does that matter because " we played fabulous football, but couldn't score" which seems to be the way we've been since the beginning of the season.

Also, something else that springs to mind, I watched MOTD2 on Sunday night, basically to watch United get stuffed, and after the game Alan Hansen said something that I've just realised is quite apt for this situation at Leicester, he said "Finally for the first time Man City were a team" now this has taken 2 or 3 seasons for the Man City to gel properly and I believe Leicester were going the same way. But the revolution at Man City was really started by one Sven Goran-Ericksson followed by Mark Hughes, are we seeing a pattern here?????

Interesting times down the King Power Stadium ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

If I wanted success, I wouldn't support West Ham :no:

Now I will admit, we hadn't played brilliantly the last few seasons but there were flashes of it (beating Liverpool 3-1, Stoke 3-1, Manchester United 4-0). But I fear that it'll be a long time until we see it again, unless we are lucky to come across a team who just don't perform on the day (Ian Holloway admitted Blackpool didn't turn up a fortnight ago).

Well, even as a Chelsea fan, the match that just finished was exciting. Looking on the bright side, the Blues have just drawn 3-3 with Robin van Persie, and beaten the rest of the Arsenal team 3-2!

Actually, someone mentioned above that the combined Manchester benches would make a top-4 team - I reckon RVP would avoid relegation on his own, and Arsenal would do well to buy some bubblewrap to keep him in!

O207-35353535 Chelsea help line.

A very uneven set of results from some of the top sides in the Premier League so far.

Not looking forward to the Wolves score today unless MCFC implode.

Edited by mow

• RMweb Premium

0207-35353535 Chelsea help line.

A very uneven set of results from some of the top sides in the Premier League so far.

Not looking forward to the Wolves score today unless MCFC implode.

That's OK, we can handle it. Unlike other big results, it's only a difference of 2.

:notme: :notme:

Kevin Martin

Southampton scraped another dull, boring win yesterday - we might just have done enough to avoid relegation this year.....

Don't knock it, I would kill for a dull, boring win at the moment!!!!!!

Regards

Neal.

Good news for West Ham fans it would seem. BBC Teletext claims Alardyce has given up on signing Diouff because of the fans opinions.

It looks like he's going to Doncaster...

• RMweb Gold

I see Capello and the FA have decided that the WAGS will be allowed at the Euro finals

The mayor of Krakow has said that he is looking forward to welcoming them. "We have a lot of historical buildings that are really beautiful and worth visiting. We have quite a few interesting museums. We also have some beautiful examples of natural spaces. There is a beautiful and ancient forest. There is also a castle.â€

Erm ............ shall I tell him or will you.

• Like 1

Another win last night, 1-0 at home to Seaford, making the stats for the season:

Hailsham Town - Played 12, Won 10, Drawn 1, Lost 1, Scored 37, Conceded 9

Still second though! - but with a game in hand over East Preston, who are top of the pile and are the only team to beat us in the League this season.

• Like 1