The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

24 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Tim Henman was rated as the No.1 England player for several years. On the other hand his best Wimbledon performance

was to be a beaten semi-finalist (4 times). Was he a success or failure?

If that's the best he could expect to do then, for him, it's a success, but if he wanted to win Wimbledon then it's a failure. It's the old myth of "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts", yes it's great that someone has tried, but "success" is based on whether you won the trophy or not. A friend of mine, who won the Brisca F2 world championship sums it up by saying "It's better to have been a has been than a never has been", harsh but true.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

That is one view, which my dad subscribed to.

Another example from a different sport, Tim Henman was rated as the No.1 England player for several years. On the other hand his best Wimbledon performance was to be a beaten semi-finalist (4 times). Was he a success or failure?

cheers 

Tim Henman's reputation rests largely on the fact that no other English player won anything either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

If that's the best he could expect to do then, for him, it's a success, but if he wanted to win Wimbledon then it's a failure. It's the old myth of "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts", yes it's great that someone has tried, but "success" is based on whether you won the trophy or not. A friend of mine, who won the Brisca F2 world championship sums it up by saying "It's better to have been a has been than a never has been", harsh but true.

Returning to football and Euro 2024, about half a dozen teams were given some chance of winning it, while quite a few more had very little chance. In that sense out of the 24 teams at the final some will have deemed it a success and some a failure. Spain obviously were successful, Turkey and Georgia presumably also happy with their performance?

Regarding England, we each will have our own view of where England stand in the world rankings. Some of us feel that we should be winning it, so beaten finalists is failure. I never thought we were the best team out there, but felt failure would have been not to get to the semi-finals. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
best team - not beat team (Freudian slip?)
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think it is good that we are all different.

Some folk seem to get quite upset if their premiership team fail to land a £100m plus player, or finish outside the Champions League places. My team have had six promotions in 123 years, the only top spot being Division 4 champions in 1989/90, and they have never won a significant cup either. I can take a lot of pleasure from the minor victories that come our way, like beating the table toppers, or pinching a last minute equaliser.

cheers

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Part of the problem is that English players are rather limited in the Premier League these days. Much of the pool of players aren't eligible to play for England, as they qualify from many foreign countries. Other European, African and from the Americas countries, provide the lions share of PL players these days.

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Part of the problem is that English players are rather limited in the Premier League these days. Much of the pool of players aren't eligible to play for England, as they qualify from many foreign countries. Other European, African and from the Americas countries, provide the lions share of PL players these days.

The lack of a fit left back definitely unbalanced the side in my opinion. I never watch Premier league football but get the impression that there was no obvious English qualified player regularly playing in that position to replace Luke Shaw.

I might add that along with the general disappointment of losing the final I did take great pleasure from Ollie Watkins goal in the semi. I have seen him play for both Weston-super-Mare on loan and then at Exeter when he broke into the first team, well done Ollie, hopefully there will be many more.

cheers

• Like 3

Forget all this international nonsense, it is almost time for proper football to start with really big questions: will Morecambe avoid relegation? Will Blackpool settle for mid-table mediocrity? Which team will set a new record for fewest point in the premiership? 

Insert the teams of your choice.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

Regarding England, we each will have our own view of where England stand in the world rankings. Some of us feel that we should be winning it, so beaten finalists is failure. I never thought we were the best team out there, but felt failure would have been not to get to the semi-finals. 

I think that a lit of us, myself included, felt that we should have been the best team out there but for one reason or another we weren't. 

I don't believe that the EPL set up has led to the current situation, if anything it raises the standards and there's plenty of English players in the EPL, certainly sufficient, and that's before you look at English players playing in top leagues abroad. At the end of the day it's down to the manager, who he picks to play and his method of playing. Southgate's record would indicate a system which guarantees we get to the late stages of a competition, but doesn't have that final ability to win it, at least that's how I see his reign. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We have long had good managers and some of the best players in the world. The answer for success is a simple one, play to win rather than playing not to lose. Just go for it.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Forget all this international nonsense, it is almost time for proper football to start with really big questions: will Morecambe avoid relegation? Will Blackpool settle for mid-table mediocrity? Which team will set a new record for fewest point in the premiership? 

Insert the teams of your choice.

I might explore another level of football this season.

Over the last 40+ years I have watched 500-600 live games of football, about 15 in the 'old' first division,

but the majority of games watching Exeter City or Weston-super-Mare in League 1, League 2, National League,

and National League South.

Now living in Teignmouth I might try a few local games in the Peninsula League Premier East, as well as visiting the real St James Park

cheers

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As Sheffield Utd start their season goal one must already be a contender for a team getting one of the jammiest own goals of the season after multiple deflections. As for their second what was that goalie doing? For Yorkshire's sake let us hope the Blades have left last year's debacle behind them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, john new said:

As Sheffield Utd start their season goal one must already be a contender for a team getting one of the jammiest own goals of the season after multiple deflections. As for their second what was that goalie doing? For Yorkshire's sake let us hope the Blades have left last year's debacle behind them.

Well, I enjoyed it!

Ryan Lowe is only carrying on where he left off at the end of last season. PNE must be relegation fodder.

Mike.

• Like 3

well two games in to our third season in the national league and it's maximum points two clean sheets sat nicely in third 

nose bleed time at boundary park 

bonus is two top scorers still out injured and we are winning and scoring 

onto Fylde at home Tuesday night and another team with a hex over us to vanquish 

OTID 

Edited by peanuts
  • Like 2

On 09/08/2024 at 21:45, john new said:

Taken to a draw by 10-man QPR.  Come on, you Hoops! 

• Like 2

Reflecting a colleague above, as one who's team have maintained the dizzy heights of 2nd in the division so far - I can say with utter confidence this years' relegation battle has begun from a position of strength ........................... 🙄

Credit to League new-comers Bromley for some fine beginners "luck" too 👍

image.png.e4feda5076e1c274051b0aaa30ebb697.png

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Reflecting a colleague above, as one who's team have maintained the dizzy heights of 2nd in the division so far - I can say with utter confidence this years' relegation battle has begun from a position of strength ........................... 🙄

Credit to League new-comers Bromley for some fine beginners "luck" too 👍

image.png.e4feda5076e1c274051b0aaa30ebb697.png

50 points from safety😉😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 17/08/2024 at 19:51, peanuts said:

well two games in to our third season in the national league and it's maximum points two clean sheets sat nicely in third 

nose bleed time at boundary park 

bonus is two top scorers still out injured and we are winning and scoring 

onto Fylde at home Tuesday night and another team with a hex over us to vanquish 

OTID 

Horrible club, all round! In NPL West, I think we've dodged a bullet with Bury missing out in the North West Counties Premier playoffs. They had a couple of "Behind closed doors" matches last season after crowd trouble; they've already had one incident this season after surrendering a 4 - 2 lead at Squires Gate. Going on their facebook page their fans are extremely disappointed, they say they should have walked that league (so they should, but football's a funny old game, isn't it? )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I note that there's a newly promoted team in the Turkish Super Lig that should appeal to everyone in Yorkshire.  The team is Eyüpspor, they come from the Eyüp district of Istanbul, and they play at the Eyüp Stadium.

• Funny 6

Are my team (Sheffield Wednesday) the only one to have ever won their first game of the season 4-0 (v Plymouth Argyle), then go on to lose their second game 4-0 (v Sunderland)?

Sam WAWAW

• Like 1