The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Decided to substitute the bar at half time..

IMG_6235.jpeg.c0368830e155e28a5e961400fd146279.jpeg

odds improved there’s 3 of us now, still out numbered by Colombians and Argentinians..

guy in the tall hat is doing magic tricks, sadly I think it was voodoo he was doing

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Glad to see some subs, Grandad Kane put in a better than average show today, must be a special occasion.

All in all not a bad show so far considering the opposition, but this is going to be tough.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Wow I just found the England fans in this bar !!!

what a goal !

Palmer yet again, is the hidden secret 

Pickford worth his weight in gold a true passion player and loving it

c’est la vie but that game was a world class game and one of the best finals I’ve seen in a long time. Being beaten by Spain is no shame, especially after a game like that.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, cary hill said:

At least we're spared another outing for "Sweet Caroline"......

Err..

well the Copa America final had something new tonight. It turns out the halftime is not 15 minutes but 25 minutes and featured a set by Shakira performing on stage on the pitch.

The game itself was a bit of a mess. It started an hour and 20 minutes late and seems loads of people being stuck outside and unable to get into the stadium, whilst others were climbing fences, even the air ducts to try and get inside. The start of the match postponed at least three times and eventually started at about 9:20 local instead of 8 o’clock. looks like theres a few lessons to be learned, especially in this hear, 32 degrees outside waiting 3 hours to get in…

my worry is the next World Cup is in the USA if tonight is a precedent it could end up being a game of 4 quarters extended over three hours with a concert in the middle and lots of advertising slots.

Colombian fans seem to have arrived late as I saw blue/white shirts all day but tonight that changed.. I found a nice colombian bar (It was Cuban this morning) in Miami for the game tonight..

Colombian fans wearing ponchos and farmers hats.. love it.

IMG_6250.jpeg.69301195d490036b6eddac59296e59b9.jpeg

IMG_6258.jpeg.1fe861a381fd1f147b78dae5f5dc9756.jpeg
IMG_6248.jpeg.2abb987516489ca5ecadc45833069528.jpeg

The amount of time tolerated for scrapes and bruises is amazing, especially as 1st half only had 1 minute extra.. despite Messi’s crash out, and suddenly realising he was on the floor beyond the line and suddenly went rolling over in pain three times to put himself back on the pitch to stop play for 3 minutes (and that wasnt the only instance).. hes off second half with a true injury though.

One last thought… rolling tv ads across the bottom of the screen.. I could scan the QR code and order a papa John’s pizza at the same time i’m watching,.. Another point was an animated Smirnoff bottle suddenly appears on screen chasing the ball across the pitch for a few seconds before jumping off the top corner and taking the left side of the screen as an ad… omg.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Err..

well the Copa America final had something new tonight. It turns out the halftime is not 15 minutes but 25 minutes and featured a set by Shakira performing on stage on the pitch.

my worry is the next World Cup is in the USA if tonight is a precedent it could end up being a game of 4 quarters extended over three hours with a concert in the middle and lots of advertising slots.

How about they have a defensive and offensive side, so they can keep swapping over? Make a day of it for the fans. I'm sure FIFA won't mind some changes in the rules!

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The game itself was a bit of a mess. It started an hour and 20 minutes late and seems loads of people being stuck outside and unable to get into the stadium, whilst others were climbing fences, even the air ducts to try and get inside. The start of the match postponed at least three times and eventually started at about 9:20 local instead of 8 o’clock. looks like theres a few lessons to be learned, especially in this hear, 32 degrees outside waiting 3 hours to get in…

But they don't learn, do they, same issues at Paris a couple of years ago and Istanbul last year. Yet the organisers of these games still give them to places where they haven't the infrastructure (Istanbul, not Paris) or the ability to organise properly... Just lucky they aren't breweries...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbos said:

This is how you do it against Spain in the Euro’s.

Spains record in the Euros Qualifying and Finals P17, W16, D0, L1, and that there is the only loss.  IIRC the Spanish Manager complained about the rough tackling, old fashioned British tactics do work.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Err..

One of Switzerland's all-time greats?

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

I'd say Sarina Wiegmann and I'm not even joking...

Her or Emma Hayes would be extremely radical appointments.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I see that the suggestion is gaining strength - why not Lee Carsley?  He's coming from the same management development pedigree as Sir Gareth, has had success with the U-21s and has worked with many of the upcoming stars of the senior side.

• RMweb Gold

A question for you all.

Who is the better manager?

Ramsey, who won a world cup via a disputed goal on home soil which saved him having to qualify and then went on to do b*gger all else despite having some of the greatest players of the era at his disposal.

Or.

Southgate.

Answers on a postcard.

Mike.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A question for you all.

Who is the better manager?

Ramsey, who won a world cup via a disputed goal on home soil which saved him having to qualify and then went on to do b*gger all else despite having some of the greatest players of the era at his disposal.

Or.

Southgate.

Answers on a postcard.

Mike.

IMO Southgate and it's not even a debate...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

IMO Southgate and it's not even a debate...

Me too!

I only posed the question as there seem to be a number of people who only judge the success of a manager by the number of trophies he wins.

Mike.

• Agree 3

I'd agree Southgate purely on his record in major tournaments, but having said that a managers or teams record is only judged historically on it's success in winning trophies. Southgate's problem isn't that he's done well, that's not in dispute compared with previous managers, it's that he will always be judged as a "nearly man". The fans want success and finishing second twice won't be judged as good enough when the players he had at his disposal should have given him the ability to win them. Ramsey won, it doesn't matter how, that's irrelevant, and that's what every subsequent manager is judged on.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Didn't the late great Bob Paisley once say that first is first and second is nowhere.

That is one view, which my dad subscribed to.

Another example from a different sport, Tim Henman was rated as the No.1 England player for several years. On the other hand his best Wimbledon performance was to be a beaten semi-finalist (4 times). Was he a success or failure?

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
Tidying up.
  • Like 2