The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

6 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Well, it looks like karma has bitten Coeman!

After cheating England in the past, scoring a goal when he should have been sent off, it seems only fair that we were awarded a dodgy penalty and scored in the last minute of normal time!

Totally agree 👍

1992 on David Platt for those that can't remember or aren't old enough.

Just wallowing joyfully in the fact that we're in a major competition final and it's not against the bl888dy Germans. Presumably it's a case of Spain only having to turn up to win and the number of goals they'll score but that's not the point  - WELL DONE Southgate - we may not have completely enjoyed the getting there but it's done - nice one 👍 😁

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m no footie fan, but I’m always pleased at any UK sports success, because it makes a lot of people happy - and in the times in which we live that can only be a Good Thing. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Well done England, again they just managed to scrape their way through.

As the lyrics of that infamous Vinaloo song “We`re England, we`ll gonna score one more than you.” Well how true, must be Southgate`s training motto, in the UEFA and WC tournaments format, consisting of a league and then knock-out matches, does England now have the record with scoring the least amount of goals, 7  in open play, to get into a final.   The stats don`t look that good going into the final - England 7 v Spain 13.

Say mid way through the match and England do go 2-0 down, then how long will it be before the TV Commentator announces “England will need to achieve something that they haven`t managed so far in this tournament and score 3 goals"! Or they will try to score 2 and go another penalty shootout? We`ll find out on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

Both of the football results I want to see in the coming days are unlikely.

But I can't decide which is the more unlikely - England beating Spain in the Euros, or Canada beating Uruguay for third in the Copa.

Well, if you go by FIFA rankings we (Canada) shouldn’t even be in COPA at this stage, but we are so nothing to lose and the lads have no pressure but to go out and do their best. Sometimes it’s nice to be underestimated.

As for England, Spain won all their group matches convincingly and look depressingly good, but hey, at this stage of the tournament anything can happen.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

You have completely misunderstood my post and my support for England.

You're right, have amended it, though to be fair I wasn't the only one judging by the "likes"! Now have I misjudged S-T as well...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, davknigh said:

As for England, Spain won all their group matches convincingly and look depressingly good, but hey, at this stage of the tournament anything can happen.

Correct, they are both in exactly the same place irrespective of the path and methods taken!

Mike.

• Agree 3

For far too long England have started well and faded away

This time expectation has been very low and until the last game they played badly and just scraped through, lets hope Wednesday was not our final

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Question - when did two ex-Leeds United managers face each other in an international match?

Answer - it’s happening right now. Canada (Jesse Marsch) against Uruguay (Marcelo Bielsa) for third place in Copa America.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

Question - when did two ex-Leeds United managers face each other in an international match?

Answer - it’s happening right now. Canada (Jesse Marsch) against Uruguay (Marcelo Bielsa) for third place in Copa America.

Eii, so close... proud of our lads though, 4th in the Copa is a great result for them, and to think Uruguay had to get a laaaaate equaliser to force the penalties...

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, pH said:

This reminds me of a couple of (old) questions to test the knowledge of sports fanatics at the pub quiz:

Which member of the Royal family was also a professional footballer? Answer - Joe Royle. 

Who played football for Manchester United and cricket for Yorkshire? Answer - Bobby Charlton and Geoff Boycott.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Deeps said:

This reminds me of a couple of (old) questions to test the knowledge of sports fanatics at the pub quiz:

Which member of the Royal family was also a professional footballer? Answer - Joe Royle. 

Who played football for Manchester United and cricket for Yorkshire? Answer - Bobby Charlton and Geoff Boycott.

Correct answer to the Yorkshire cricket question is Arne Sidebottom , also played cricket for England

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Derek 19B said:

Correct answer to the Yorkshire cricket question is Arne Sidebottom , also played cricket for England

I should have made it clear that the post was intended to be one of humour, but this is quite interesting.

Back in the day a number of individuals like Arne also spread their talents across more than one sport. For anyone interested in researching this sort of thing, who played football for Portsmouth and England (including Great Britain) but also played cricket for Hampshire?

A clue - you would need to consider Olympic sports.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Canada played pretty good last night I thought.

Exciting day today, Ive unexpectedly found myself in Miami on business, I was worried that Americans wouldnt even knowcwhat the Euros was, let alone show it in the bar… but no fear arrived in a town full of Argentine shirts… no shortage of football money here, $66k for best seats tonight, $2k for a cheap seat  at Copa America final which is here in Miami tonight…

IMG_6139.jpeg.147a9d44da4bcdf232e3a3045b0c9021.jpeg

Unfortunately no England shirts and theres no brits in town that ive seen… still $1 a wing in the bar, and every bar on South Beach is showing it..

IMG_6117.jpeg.f6776f0392ad03136ca886e489856352.jpeg

The Americans still have some things to learn…  would think they would get the right tournament logo aligned to the right teams tho 😀

i’ll be waving a hopeful flag from 4000 miles away, in a sea of latinos who quite definitely be supporting Spain watching this as a warm up for tonight…

Anyone else far from home watching today ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm (currently) at Manchester Airport waiting for my flight to Amsterdam. From there I will take a train towards Germany.

I was (am) due in Germany tomorrow BUT tomorrows flight was twice the price of todays (Business) seat at £650 !!

I will watch the game in Arnhem and continue towards Germany tomorrow morning.

Come-on Engaland !

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Deeps said:

Ian Botham also played football for Scunthorpe United.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Oh I hate it when that happens.... 🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I totalled it up its actually my 14th trip to Miami in 25 years.

😀

unfortunately its all downhill from here..

Boston is next and then it gets really glamourous… a suburb of Newark, NJ and Reston, VA to end the week.

May get a little time to see NJTransit or an Acela by late this week, but South Florida seems a little devoid of trains, though Ive seen tracks I dont think ive ever seen a train in Miami.

Need a good result this afternoon i’m going to hear no end of it this week.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 11/07/2024 at 18:27, britishcolumbian said:

Both of the football results I want to see in the coming days are unlikely.

But I can't decide which is the more unlikely - England beating Spain in the Euros, or Canada beating Uruguay for third in the Copa.

You know, up until that stupid defensive lapse in the dying minutes of the game, Canada could have won... I'll take that as a sign that England are in with a proper chance to win!

• Like 2