The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I caught sight of today's Sun headline earlier - accusing the referee selected for England's next match as biased, a fixer and having a grudge with Jude Bellingham.  Responsible journalism?

Thankfully the travelling England supporters have been well-behaved, but with media like that, will it stay that way?  

• Like 1

I don't understand the "modern game"...

1. The tactics (exemplified by England), where you repeatedly pass laterally while still at least five yards away from the nearest opponent.  You don't have to beat the opponent, but running nearer before passing effectively takes that opposing player out of contention.

2. In the light of the above, what has happened to players wanting to receive the ball running into space rather than walking around (and also having made a pass getting into a forward position to receive a return)?

3. The rise of the static centre forward.  In the 2014 World Cup, Brazil set the standard with Fred, who barely ran 100 yards in the whole tournament.  In this year's Euros we have such "greats" as Lukaku and Ronaldo (has-beens, more likely) waiting for a pass to a particular patch of turf (and pulling faces when it isn't made).  (Worse still, Harry Kane is in danger of joining them).  I think it fair to say that their teams would have fared better with younger, more mobile attackers.

4.  Now that goal kicks don't need to travel beyond the penalty area, we have situations where teams play themselves into trouble with short defensive passes.  I know Jordan Pickford has been criticised for kicking the ball long, but as one of the most accurate long-range kickers why encourage the opposition with deep defensive "keep ball"?

5. When you are awarded a corner, or throw-in in the attacking third of the pitch, why is it tactical to make a series of passes back to your own goalkeeper?

6. When stopping a long-range effort, why do so many goalkeepers parry the ball and catch it on the bounce - and why don't the static centre forwards rush in anticipating a fumbled ball?  It was a mistake I made once - and learned the lesson the hard way!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/07/2024 at 18:38, Hroth said:

Hurrah!  The Swiss Rolls have scored!

Drat!  England have equalised...

Poor chap. Never mind disappointed, you must be livid tonight!! Selfish bunch, winning in the last minute like that.... 🙄🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ it's just not Cricket!!

Oh, hang on... no, it isn't Cricket is it 🤔🤪

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sugar!

I was expecting the Orangemen to beat England like a gong!!!

Oh well, no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.....

(I wonder who's beard gets singed on Sunday?)

Edited by Hroth
Final thort
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Hopefully it's King Felipe VI's beard that is singed, as happened to his namesake hundreds of years ago, but only if our modern day Drake a.k.a. Southgate can pull off yet another act of football piracy and somehow steal the trophy from under the noses of the Spanish on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Sugar!

I was expecting the Orangemen to beat England like a gong!!!

I take it you're not English?!

Mike.

• Funny 2

Good morning folks,

Well, it looks like karma has bitten Coeman!

After cheating England in the past, scoring a goal when he should have been sent off, it seems only fair that we were awarded a dodgy penalty and scored in the last minute of normal time!

Virgil van Duck can now go on his hols, joining the Germans on the sun beds we don't want yet.

Cheers, Nigel.

PS , the Orangemen are now free to march this weekend.

Or is that a different sort of Orangemen? 😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

After cheating England in the past, scoring a goal when he should have been sent off, it seems only fair that we were awarded a dodgy penalty and scored in the last minute of normal time!

Em, I seem to remember Harry Kane diving to win a penalty in the semi final of the last Euros... Cheating Denmark. Swings and roundabouts my friend... 

I hope Spain give England their comeuppance on Sunday! 😜

Edited by south_tyne
  • Funny 3

10 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Em, I seem to remember Harry Kane diving to win a penalty in the semi final of the last Euros... Cheating Denmark. Swings and roundabouts my friend... 

I hope Spain give England their comeuppance on Sunday! 😜

England also hit the post, hit the crossbar and had a goal chalked off for an offside. Think they deserved it. In a semi - final, you have to take what comes your way; Koeman should know that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, 62613 said:

England also hit the post, hit the crossbar and had a goal chalked off for an offside. Think they deserved it. In a semi - final, you have to take what comes your way; Koeman should know that!

32 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

😂

That's football... In 1993 Frank Rijkaard also had a perfectly good goal wrongly disallowed. We often remember things by how they are framed in the mass media. 

I hate to say it, and absolutely dread the aftermath, but it just seems England are destined to win this tournament. Cue mass jingoism, bare chests, Neil Diamond, and drunken nonsense. Urg...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Virgil van Duck can now go on his hols, joining the Germans on the sun beds we don't want yet.

Cheers, Nigel.

PS , the Orangemen are now free to march this weekend.

Or is that a different sort of Orangemen? 😂

If and it’s a big if, England do beat Spain, especially if it’s by the same type of controversial goal, I don’t think that l will be wanting a sun-bed on any Spanish beach this year, especially with the ongoing problems over there at the moment.

• Like 1

I see they are not doing that stupid 3rd place playoff, someone in UEFA has a small amount of common sense, poor old Copa America are, though...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I take it you're not English?!

Mike.

Ummmmm....

Being English, I don't appreciate the hyperventilating in the press and the media, I mean, even Classic FM played a piano version of "Footballs Coming Home" last night which was going a bit too far.

If Englsnd had lost, there would be obits and calls for the managers head on a salver, but the fuss would have been over and done with by Friday and the final would be reported as "Spain or the Netherlands won. Yawn...."

But now we'll have hype hype hype until the final letdown on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Same in every other country, we aren't the only ones!

As regards the "penalty", you win some you lose some, we won that one but have lost plenty before, Spain are as known for dodgy play as England, so I'm not sure why South Tyne is so vehement in their dislike for England and support for Spain...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Ummmmm....

Being English, I don't appreciate the hyperventilating in the press and the media, I mean, even Classic FM played a piano version of "Footballs Coming Home" last night which was going a bit too far.

If Englsnd had lost, there would be obits and calls for the managers head on a salver, but the fuss would have been over and done with by Friday and the final would be reported as "Spain or the Netherlands won. Yawn...."

I'm actually glad of your negativity, thanks to your help England are in the final, keep going!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Same in every other country, we aren't the only ones!

As regards the "penalty", you win some you lose some, we won that one but have lost plenty before, Spain are as known for dodgy play as England, so I'm not sure why South Tyne and GMKAT7 are so vehement in their dislike for England and support for Spain...

I thought it was a penalty before the tv said there was a VAR review underway

What happened would have been called a foul any ware on the pitch, as when a player goes in studs first, let alone at that height. Simply it was a reckless tackle

I am also surprised at the amount of shirt pulling in the penalty area that goes unpunished. If a foul is called it more or less goes against the attacking team

Has obstruction been deleted now as a rule ? regularly players are "playing" the opposing player rather than trying to play/shield the ball. 

Listening to "referee pundits" who try and justify a foul not being called a foul by the lack of force involved. In my opinion force should only be considered when choosing the punishment (yellow or red cards)

On the other hand Saka was booked for accidently running into a trailing leg, a foul yes, booking for an accident no

One change I would Like to see is the advantage rule, in rugby the ref raises his hand and waits to see if an advantage was gained. Too many times in football the ref plays advantage but fails to see if it turns into an advantage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I hate to say it, and absolutely dread the aftermath, but it just seems England are destined to win this tournament. Cue mass jingoism, bare chests, Neil Diamond, and drunken nonsense. Urg.

Sorry... not. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I see they are not doing that stupid 3rd place playoff, someone in UEFA has a small amount of common sense, poor old Copa America are, though...

Actually, I disagree, at least for Copa. Third place in the Copa is what everyone actually plays for, since the title is always going to go to Argentina, Brazil, or maybe Uruguay. That's invariable. So third is the best anyone else can hope for. Also, winning the third place match brings an extra $4m to the winner - which is a significant sum for all of those smaller non-ARG/BRA/URU FAs... would be a huge thing for Canada, too.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ummmmm....

The hype etc. is something I find extremely irritating. That doesn't mean I don't love to see England doing well though.

• Agree 4